How to shoot off fireworks from your P4 WITHOUT risk to your drone

illegal to weaponize a drone in the USA. Fireworks can and could be considered weaponizing a drone. You could be answering to more than local po.ice if you do that, you could be answering to Homeland Security.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Yep definitely eaten smarter vegetables
Just take it down not exactly doing anyone any favours, next video buy a few drones strap yourself to them hopefully a new range record

Reactions: HooDooDini7
“Fireworks can and could be considered weaponizing a drone. You could be answering to more than local po.ice if you do that, you could be answering to Homeland Security.”

I suppose that could be true. The consideration that is. I’m thinking the question of weaponization could be contested successfully in the case of commercial fireworks. It’s not ‘plastique’ or C4 afterall, eh? Not even homemade as in a pipe bomb either. If fireworks used for private display and legal in that part of the country are not considered a weapon in and of themselves, then mounting them on a drone for private display could hardly stand the test of “weaponization”. Only intent could determine that ruling and that interpretation in the circumstances that I described is patently absurd.

Now, if I used them to kill/ maim a family member or friend on my property, then intent may be clear and the question moot.

Just discussing it in this detail is “a bridge too far” for meaning under common law, IMO.

In many states, fireworks are illegal. If you need fireworks for fun, life must really be dull. If you need to launch fireworks with a drone, then life must be really, really dull.

Reactions: Providian623
I hate amateur fireworks. And, in Illinois, all fireworks larger than sparklers and smoke snakes are illegal.

Having said that, if a drone pilot wants to tie explosives to his drone for arial display over his own property and removed from possible effect on his nearest neighbor
( a farm in rural Illinois for one example) why should the pilot be forbidden?

Adult citizens should be allowed any conduct that does not endanger anyone but themselves. But then, they should be self responsible for any resulting deleterious effects on themselves and their property.

If public services should be called on for search and rescue or emergency response, the pilot should be legally liable for paying public expenses incurred.

I would be likely to try something similar for fun and experimentation under the circumstances I describe above. There have been model and amateur rocket clubs for decades after all and some of these efforts have been unintentionally explosive while others have loaded explosive payloads purposely for testing over club grounds and ranges.
And in Illinois NOBODY follows the fireworks law. There are stands everywhere selling the big boom stuff.

In many states, fireworks are illegal. If you need fireworks for fun, life must really be dull. If you need to launch fireworks with a drone, then life must be really, really dull.
Who here “needs fireworks for fun”? Fun is derived from many sources. Fortunately some of us live in states where we can pick and choose the manner, means, and method by which we manufacture that day’s fun. Sometimes it’s baseball, some days it’s fishing, some days it’s flying some plastic toy around like some kinda geek. Sometimes it’s firearms, sometimes it’s cooking red meat in horribly carcinogenic manners (as known to the state of California), sometimes it’s fireworks. Not having the varied options is what makes life dull.

Reactions: dirkclod
Who here “needs fireworks for fun”? Fun is derived from many sources. Fortunately some of us live in states where we can pick and choose the manner, means, and method by which we manufacture that day’s fun. Sometimes it’s baseball, some days it’s fishing, some days it’s flying some plastic toy around like some kinda geek. Sometimes it’s firearms, sometimes it’s cooking red meat in horribly carcinogenic manners (as known to the state of California), sometimes it’s fireworks. Not having the varied options is what makes life dull.

Having so many varied options in an exciting life is what allows one to steer clear of fringe options which are illegal or, in the case of drones, which may bring a negative light on a hobby and close it down.

Having so many varied options in an exciting life is what allows one to steer clear of fringe options which are illegal or, in the case of drones, which may bring a negative light on a hobby and close it down.
.....and like I said, it’s not illegal for everybody... Negative light? Purely subjective.. There’s a lot of activities that would deserve that characterization much more so than this.

. How is there negative press here?
There was no “snooping” over people’s yards, no playing chicken with a commercial airliner, no buzzing the crowd at the local football stadium, etc.. not even harassing dogs at a public dog park.. just a guy on his own property engaging in blending several interests, drones, fireworks, juvenile fun, and quite possibly alcohol.. your average person watching that on YouTube is more likely to say “that looks like fun” than they are to recoil in shock and horror at such an egregious attack upon civil society.

The only thing negative coming from that video is a bunch of guys saying “oh nooooooo! He violated the sanctity of the NAS with fireworks, and probably didn’t have the part 107 and any other authorizations they came up with this week to do so!! Hide your kids! Hide your cat! Armageddon is upon us!!!”

My first comment on this post was to make light of most responses people made. Most seemed to take things way too seriously. Weaponizing a drone?

Is there a benchmark to make judgement on what is fun ? Merely suggestive. "But we of more refinement know it is crude and unorthodox behavior. " "Only an ignorant and uneducated person would condone such behavior. " That is what I seem to be hearing . Out west on a ranch, they do things, we'd never do in the city. Running with the bulls in Spain, fun? Bog Snorkeling ? Stamp collecting? Playing golf, that's a good one! Lol

I have great admiration for some people on this forum whom I disagree with on the way they handled this subject. That should never be the way we approach people.

We ALL do some unorthodox things or bend the rules a little. If you didn't do so, I bet you could walk on water. Ask your wife. See what she would tell you? Please, don't ask mine. Lol

That's what we need some hold my beer and watch this

I cannot believe that this is what this phantom pilots.com has become. If someone can’t share how they have fun with their phantom LEGALLY (yes, I did check state law before planning this event) and freely without being chastised for it, then I want no part of this. Just remember, no one asked you for your opinions!!!

With the exception of your last statement about others commenting on your video, I completely agree that this forum is no longer the fun place it was a few years ago. Which is presumably why many original members no longer take an active part.

It appears that the gang culture is strong here and every post or video that doesn't need a helpful technical response needs to appear in the Phantom Pilots law court with armchair prosecuting lawyers all trying to impress the rest of their gang. If a negative response is posted all they need do is give it a "like", there is absolutely no logical reason to try and humiliate, or chastise the OP further, unless that kind of action is what rocks their boat. As for the poster who stated he had not even seen the video, yet found it necessary to continue the chastisement, that is definitely a gang culture moment. Dumbest post I've seen in a long time, with yet another post saying there was a "Very real risk of dropping burning pyrotechnics to the ground below". It's a firework, that's what they do, especially those rocket types that explode into hundreds of pretty falling burning things.

I have seen the video and although I would not do something similar, I did not view anything that was blatantly dangerous to anyone, or anything in the vicinity. I've personally made loads of videos which could be classed as unusual, like flying 4 drones using one hand held controller, or flying 4 drones which were tagged to 4 go-karts and flying 2 drones tagged to 2 cars on a track day. Would I publish them here?, a few years ago I might have, but definitely not now. I don't need, or require a bunch of strangers telling me how dangerous it could be if a battery failed, or I could collide with a low flying plane. Those videos and many others I've created could be classed as pointless, silly, or even stupid, but they were harmless fun to those of us who enjoy doing harmless fun things.

Reactions: Dwilliams35
With the exception of your last statement about others commenting on your video, I completely agree that this forum is no longer the fun place it was a few years ago. Which is presumably why many original members no longer take an active part.

It appears that the gang culture is strong here and every post or video that doesn't need a helpful technical response needs to appear in the Phantom Pilots law court with armchair prosecuting lawyers all trying to impress the rest of their gang. If a negative response is posted all they need do is give it a "like", there is absolutely no logical reason to try and humiliate, or chastise the OP further, unless that kind of action is what rocks their boat. As for the poster who stated he had not even seen the video, yet found it necessary to continue the chastisement, that is definitely a gang culture moment. Dumbest post I've seen in a long time, with yet another post saying there was a "Very real risk of dropping burning pyrotechnics to the ground below". It's a firework, that's what they do, especially those rocket types that explode into hundreds of pretty falling burning things.

I have seen the video and although I would not do something similar, I did not view anything that was blatantly dangerous to anyone, or anything in the vicinity. I've personally made loads of videos which could be classed as unusual, like flying 4 drones using one hand held controller, or flying 4 drones which were tagged to 4 go-karts and flying 2 drones tagged to 2 cars on a track day. Would I publish them here?, a few years ago I might have, but definitely not now. I don't need, or require a bunch of strangers telling me how dangerous it could be if a battery failed, or I could collide with a low flying plane. Those videos and many others I've created could be classed as pointless, silly, or even stupid, but they were harmless fun to those of us who enjoy doing harmless fun things.
This reminds me of people who say "someone is so judgemental", while the statement itself is judgemental.
You are criticizing others for criticizing.
And so am I.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe

LOL
Read post # 32

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT