How can I get rid of HORRIBLE STARTUP SOUND

Reaction score
Is there any way to reprogram or disable the horribly annoying startup sounds from the Phantom 2?

From what I understand, the sounds are made by the motors, so there's no "speaker" to disable. However, I've heard that some people have programmed the Phantom to make different sounds on startup. I would be happy with a single beep.

I absolutely despise the startup sounds from this thing. I can't turn the Phantom on to test mods in my house without aggravating anyone within earshot. The noise attracts unwanted attention, and disturbs the tranquility of nature when I'm somewhere outdoors.

Also, it just plain hurts my sensitive ears.
It's so god awful, I hate the sound. It makes me use the Phantom less. When I'm on the fence about whether to power up and pursue a shot, sometimes I just don't want to hear the horrible startup sounds.

I don't know of any way to disable it, sorry.

I do agree it's loud and grating, but at least it's short - and it has a purpose as if the diagnostic beeps don't run their course you know there's something wrong.

If you think the beeps that last 4 seconds disturb the tranquility of nature I dread to think how much disturbance the 20 minutes of rotor noise makes! ;)

I hear you (haha, get it? Sorry). The startup sound has on MANY occasions prevented me from doing some late night work on my Phantom for fear of disturbing the rest of the family.

Not for the faint of heart, but if you want to experiment, some of the DJI ESCs can supposedly be reflashed using the same procedure as done for 3rd party ESCs running Amtel or Silabs controllers. The 18/30Amp can be done for sure, I think you may have to dig around a bit to see if the Phantom ESCs are the same, or if there's a reflash that just changes the startup chime without reflashing the rest of the ESC programming.

Some good background reading: http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog-tutorials/

Ironically, the closed Phantom shell seems to be really amplify the sound. I have a hex with the same motors/ESCs that is quieter on startup than the Phantom.

SantaCruzMichael said:
Is there any way to reprogram or disable the horribly annoying startup sounds from the Phantom 2?

disturbs the tranquility of nature when I'm somewhere outdoors

Also, it just plain hurts my sensitive ears

Are you serious? The start-up sound disturbs the tranquility of nature, but the props spinning at 15,000rpm don't?
It also hurts your sensitive ears, but trucks, cars and other sources of noise don't I suppose?

What a bone head...

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Are you serious? The start-up sound disturbs the tranquility of nature, but the props spinning at 15,000rpm don't?
It also hurts your sensitive ears, but trucks, cars and other sources of noise don't I suppose?

What a bone head...

Believe it or not, there are a number of us who wish to start up our Phantoms in environments without those (or any other) background sounds, and without ever starting up the motors.

FWIW,
every a/c related ESC I have ever owned (Castle, ElectriFly, E-flite, Align) had a [frequency] escalating report at power-up.

I agree the noise is irritating, especially when trying to quietly download some videos, etc. at work. The way I do it is leave the bird in the carrying case (Red Rock DJI Aluminum Phantom 2 Carry Case), turn on the DJI and quickly close the cover. Barely a peep can be heard outside the case due to the padding.

That last reply my silverminer is perfect. Why didn't I think of that..I always take off from the case anyway, just leave it in, switch on, shut lid quick, and 4 seconds later, remove the pv2 and stand it on top of the case and get ready to fly..

Ha. Thanks. I was wondering why it took me so long to figure that out too. That's why this website is so awesome; sharing what we learn.

David DJI H said:
That last reply my silverminer is perfect. Why didn't I think of that..I always take off from the case anyway, just leave it in, switch on, shut lid quick, and 4 seconds later, remove the pv2 and stand it on top of the case and get ready to fly..

*** If you have a P2V+ be sure to remove the gimbal lock first!!!

Phantom_Menace66 said:
*** If you have a P2V+ be sure to remove the gimbal lock first!!!

Yeah, it only took 3-4 grinding powerups for me to learn that lesson :rolleyes:

That sound is music to my ears. Let's me know everything is good. That's just me though. Small price to pay for all of the joy my Phantom brings to my life.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik