Goodbye my phantom!

Reaction score
So I was doing a routine flight today in front of my house. First, just like always started with getting the PV2+ out of the case, removing the gimbal lens cover and gimbal lock. I checked the camera, and the Phantom. Everything seemed fine. I put the phantom on ground, put the battery in, turned on the controller, range extender, than the Phantom. Just connected with my iPhone, and I was ready to fly. I didn't calibrate because I was going to fly in the exact same place I flew a few hours ago. Battery fully charged, so the range extender. Connected the WI-FI, got to the DJI Vision app camera and fired up the props. I started gaining altitude slowly, in a corkscrew pattern. Went up to 60 meters and started cruising.

5 Minutes later @ battery level 78%, I was hovering at 65 meters altitude and 70 meters distance, taking some shots. For no reason, phantom connection gets broken. The last image on the grey broken connection screen, I see the camera view "pixelated". I tried to get the phantom back to land, cause it was unusual. It didn't respond, and a few seconds later, it started falling rapidly. I put it in failsafe mode, still no response. It crashed somewhere... and still haven't found it. Searched for 7 long hours, but no luck.

I am very sure that it was working properly, cause it was really new. The last time it flew perfectly, I got it just 2 months ago... Can someone help me with this? I am just so curious what happened. If someone had similiar scenarios and know what happened, and why, I would appreciate the help.

Sorry to hear about your loosing your quad.I had a similar incident but got mine back undamaged as it had my tel on it.Landed in a back garden quarter mile away.
Still do not have a clue what happened it just went haywire and took off.

It happened Yesterday. It was around 5:00 PM and there wasn't any sun, and very low wind speed. Perfect flight conditions resulted in disaster. By the way, people here are ANIMALS. In the full meaning. If you put a number on it, there like *HEY DUD I GOT UR PHENTOM GOTTA GIV ME $500 TO GET BACK BYE*. Some others don't even call. They go and sell it somewhere... (friends experience on their lost stuff) I have my phone number there, but I have NO hope someone will call. It's really puzzling how this happened. I might even call DJI, but I don't think I'm getting a replacement. I'll be selling the case, 2 left batteries, remote, prop guards and the manual stuffs there on eBay soon. Anyone wants? :D

It's a heavy treed neighbourhood. It has tall and very dense pine trees, I can't even see 40 feet up the tree. Also I think it was stolen. As I said in my last post, people here LOOT anything they find. I used the locate feature, which showed that it was on top of a tree. I checked that tree from a place higher nearby, and it wasn't there... Does the locate feature use the WIFI Extender data or the Remote Control data, cause if it does the EXTENDER, It shows data that are overdue.

:( :( :( :( Sorry about your loss. I lost mine about 2 weeks ago. I thought I was a smart pilot but the bird thought it was smarter. I too have 3 extra batteries & hard case with wheels. Toying with idea of getting another, it was fun while it lasted. If I do pull the trigger it will have a Flytrex on it. My friend is getting one next week and might be interested in your case & batteries. Let me know.

VenomSpeed said:
I am very sure that it was working properly, cause it was really new. The last time it flew perfectly, I got it just 2 months ago... Can someone help me with this? I am just so curious what happened.
There's nothing in your post to explain what your GPS status was or whether you confirmed that your home point was recorded properly. These are probably important points to determine what happened.

VenomSpeed said:
It's a heavy treed neighbourhood. It has tall and very dense pine trees, I can't even see 40 feet up the tree.
Did you have a clear line of sight - could you see your Phantom when it lost control signal or was it obscured by trees?

VenomSpeed said:
Does the locate feature use the WIFI Extender data or the Remote Control data, cause if it does the EXTENDER, It shows data that are overdue.
Find My Phantom shows the last location that your Phantom reported back to the phone.
However the Phantom may have drifted on the wind beyond this point.

There's nothing in your post to explain what your GPS status was or whether you confirmed that your home point was recorded properly. These are probably important points to determine what happened.
The home point was really recorded as it should. I didn't include this in my post but before the crash flight I tested the Home Point as I always do. It was a short 1 minute flight... Hovered 30 meters up and 50 meters away and failsafed. I was in NAZA GPS.

Did you have a clear line of sight - could you see your Phantom when it lost control signal or was it obscured by trees?
Yes, I always have good visibility on it, and I know that the Phantom was always headed with the battery back.

Find My Phantom shows the last location that your Phantom reported back to the phone.

It was in NAZA GPS Mode. Shouldn't it hover in the same place? As I said, I had 10 sats.

VenomSpeed said:
It was in NAZA GPS Mode. Shouldn't it hover in the same place? As I said, I had 10 sats.
You didn't mention satellites .. so I said the Phantom could drift - if it lost GPS.
So .. the story so far seems to be that the Phantom was only 70 metres out and in plain sight.
It fell from the sky and 7 hours of searching has failed to find it.
Is it in thick brush?
The location in Find My Phantom isn't necessarily where the Phantom is now.
It is the last location the Phantom reported to your phone before wifi signal was lost.
Any movement of the Phantom after that will not be shown.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers