Flying near railways -UK

Reaction score
Network rail states:
You must not fly a drone anywhere near the railway – it could result in a serious accident.
It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres of the railway or within 150 metres in built up areas.
It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres a railway station or within 150 metres in built up areas.

Drone safety and the law

Is this specific to railways or are Network Rails simply stating the law? Are PFCO holders exempt from the 150m rule for railways in built up areas as stated in CAP 722 para 3.25 which states "The standard CAA permission for SUA/SUSA in the 7 kg or less category allows flight in congested areas to within 50 metres of persons, structures etc. (or within 30 metres if the persons are under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft)" I'm trying to establish if I can fly within 150m of a railway (but not closer than 50m) for a job I'm quoting for (I'm a PFCO holder)

Network rail states:
You must not fly a drone anywhere near the railway – it could result in a serious accident.
It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres of the railway or within 150 metres in built up areas.
It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres a railway station or within 150 metres in built up areas.

Drone safety and the law

Is this specific to railways or are Network Rails simply stating the law? Are PFCO holders exempt from the 150m rule for railways in built up areas as stated in CAP 722 para 3.25 which states "The standard CAA permission for SUA/SUSA in the 7 kg or less category allows flight in congested areas to within 50 metres of persons, structures etc. (or within 30 metres if the persons are under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft)" I'm trying to establish if I can fly within 150m of a railway (but not closer than 50m) for a job I'm quoting for (I'm a PFCO holder)

As they state that it's a 'criminal offence' I guess that they are stating general UK law. Notwithstanding, if they want to 'get you' they'll find something to fit.

Your source is here, I guess:- Drone safety and the law

There's a lot of information and links there... If you read around it a bit further you will see that someone was prosecuted under the "Air Navigation Order 2016' and he received a punishment. The word 'prosecute' is also used, so this shows it is/was a criminal offence. You (rather you than me) can read all about the Air Navigation Order 2016 here:-

The Air Navigation Order 2016

Seems like it could be a no-no to me. I would guess that British Transport Police, who would initiate any possible prosecution, would back their transport colleagues all the way and when they write 'approved contractors' I think they mean only NETWORK RAIL'S approved contractors.

I've finally had a reply from Network Rail. They have said "I can confirm that you are allowed to fly within 150m (but no closer than 50m) to our infrastructure" This is, of course, with a PFCO. The CAA have confirmed the same so any bylaws conform to the ANO

Reactions: Steve7777

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl