First attempt to produce a video

Reaction score
My first attempt at producing a video from my P4P+ footage. This is Porth Wen brickworks on Anglesey, North Wales.
It really highlights the need for very smooth control movements to avoid all this jerky video!

I'm guessing as you've posted this, you are open to constructive feedback....and if so, this is the spirit in which I offer it....
Interesting subject and some interesting angles.
Couple of suggestions as an overall approach...
Overall your video/segments could be edited to a much shorter length and still give the same feeling and amount of information/interest. (See what others here show in, say, 2mins)
On opening, think about context/setting and using something like what you have around 3:35, in panning into the main subject (slowly) or 2:50 in panning down (if you had continued that view further), building curiosity and showing wider context/setting.
And how about on closing using a top-down and fly-up ending.
Hope others can offer you thoughts too.
cheers

Reactions: Sykhawk
I'm guessing as you've posted this, you are open to constructive feedback
Absolutely, and thanks for that. I was hoping for advice as I thought some shots and content OK but struggling to put it together properly. So appreciate any advice.

My suggestions (not worth much), but, as for jerky movements, I fired up my aircraft and controls in the living room and just sitting on the couch, adjusted all the controls to incorporate a smooth buffering in start and stop motions, including the wheel for camera pitch angle, and adjusted the sticks to be less responsive at very light touch.
I also use a lot of autonomous modes that free up my limited intelligence to concentrate on other controls.
Point of Interest and Tripod are really good modes to use for smooth shots.
Don't let the word "Tripod" lead you astray. It really limits your speed to a constant 4MPH.
You can have your stick jammed full throttle, but get a smooth, slow shot.
I can keep the stick jammed while concentrating on changing altitude up or down while slowly tilting the camera to keep the subject in frame.
Good cinema techniques are nice to watch but largely go unnoticed by average viewers, which is actually the goal.
If a viewer notices the movements, it's not good.
When I walk up to a project, I'll walk around for a while, getting a feel for the area while looking for obstructions and finding the best angles while keeping the sun and shadows in mind. I even time my shots for the best times of day for the subject, if possible.
I start forming a "script" in my mind, not just fly around things and pull the useful material later.
I imagine where to best start a dramatic reveal shot and do several different types of angles of reveal, because it all looks different from your pc.
I sometimes like to include 3-4 different movements at once while highlighting the subject, not facing the sun, trying to keep myself and drone shadow out of sight, etc.
Highlight not only your subject, but also the cool shadows it may be throwing and the background for contrast.
My videos should have a flow, like a script.
That's why I say start low, with simple area material to get a feel for the texture, keeping scenes limited to 5-8 seconds.
Go into a dramatic reveal, like forwards or backwards through the woods and go right over the top of the subject and it's full dramatic effect will appear.
Instead of showing a full orbit in one piece, I'll chop it up into segments and splice other scenes in between.
Show the cool parts, work up to the really awesome parts and end with a dramatic fly away, fading to black and have the music fade out into the black.
Everyone does jerky footage. Many times during some really good footage, that determines exactly where your edit will cut.
I watch the timer and know exactly where the jerk happens and cut it right there.
In the end, it's all about emotions and interest. If you can control the flow of emotion, working up to climax (what?) while keeping interest, and fade out, leaving the viewers with a feeling, then your work is done.
Go have a smoke or take a shower, whatever is best.
I'm a better pilot and director than photographer, but just my two cents, with change back, for sure.
Hope it inspires and helps somebody, and now, with today being a holiday, and a thousand miles of waterways at the end of my driveway, I'm grabbing my pooch and equipment and capturing footage of watersports, drawbridges accommodating tall boats, lots of bathing suits that use what looks like dental floss for support, etc.
And, does anyone else notice the strange looking fellah in the ad to the right, for flight training, and think, ummm, no?
Get a better haircut, put a cute girl in there, or something, because staring at me is giving me the creeps.
Edit: Douglas Spotted Eagle?
Hey Dougy, your smirky face is not helping your cause. Please quit staring at me.

Last edited:
Yup, this is some of what I was talking about.
You have three different movements taking place to give a cinematic effect.
Movement back, constant rate, altitude change and camera tilt down to keep your subject in frame.
This is a direct relative to the dronie. The selfie taken of yourself as your drone flys away and gains altitude, revealing some spectactular surroundings as you disappear in the center.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl