Drone sightings reported over Newark, NJ Airport this evening.........

You guys are missing the point. Fake news or not, “drone” is a hot button word. No matter how many facts there are saying it’s impossible for a phantom drone to fly that high, “drones are causing massive delays at airports”.

11111.jpg

The aircraft was going 125 knots and the pilot could not only SEE this drone, but describe the SHAPE and COLOR of it and notice that it had a RED light in the CENTER of it? And that is went "ALL DOWN THE SIDE" of the aircraft?

ROFL!

125 knots is 144 MPH. Nobody on this planet would be able to give such details blasting by a drone at 144 MPH with it that close. You might notice a dark object for a thousandth of a second if you were actually looking out of a cockpit window - and the CORRECT WINDOW at the EXACT time the drone was there, but you would never get to see it clear enough to describe those kind of details.

What a load of manure.

Not necessarily.
Pilots report drones all over the place but that doesn't mean that drones were there.
Here are some other reported drone sightings, how many do you think were actually drones?
i-Cr8L9WD-X2.jpg

More reports encourage more people to think they are seeing drones.

Hey Meta4, can you send the link to this report site. Thanks in advance.

I think we can all agree here that the word 'drone' has become a super convenient word to use if you are a pilot and see something that you cannot positively identify.

And, I sure agree with the earlier post calling into question what ANYBODY can see out a cockpit window when doing close to 150 miles per hour.

If that pilot really could recall little details about this 'drone' as they were doing close to 150 miles per hour, then they shouldn't call that guy a pilot.......

They should be called Superman.............with vision like that.

Not necessarily.
Pilots report drones all over the place but that doesn't mean that drones were there.
Here are some other reported drone sightings, how many do you think were actually drones?
i-Cr8L9WD-X2.jpg

More reports encourage more people to think they are seeing drones.
Unfortunately with the media hype at present knee jerk reactions like this are likely to occur. Played out in the media first then investigated. How many retractions do the media make when it was found not to be the case?

I think we can all agree here that the word 'drone' has become a super convenient word to use if you are a pilot and see something that you cannot positively identify.

And, I sure agree with the earlier post calling into question what ANYBODY can see out a cockpit window when doing close to 150 miles per hour.

If that pilot really could recall little details about this 'drone' as they were doing close to 150 miles per hour, then they shouldn't call that guy a pilot.......

They should be called Superman.............with vision like that.

Check this guy doing 170 mph, look for the smallest stationary object you can make out on either side of the road and honestly ask yourself if that was a drone could you make it out.

Like all things in the news right now, facts really don’t mater a lot. Creating the desired Public reaction justifies the story.
But, if you examin society in general we’re not a people that follows rules very well, everybody pretty much does what ever is right in their own eyes. Not many moral absolutes guiding our society. You can watch the general disregard for rules as you commute to work on the freeway.
But, you don’t need to pay much attention to my ramblings, I’m just an old man that has watch society shift so far that I can’t recoginize where it is.
But, as they say around Texas “How about those Cowboys”.

Reactions: Zymurgist
I don’t watch much news because I’m tired of the politics, hype, and the brainwashing. But I do pay attention as I go on about my day and I notice that I here no mentions from anyone of drones, positive or negative, until I open up this app. Let’s focus on the facts and not worry what the morons think.

Last edited:
Also, I'd like to be shown proof of this occurrence. Please present the facts with irrefutable proof.
Too late, Gregg! The damage cannot be undone.

All these height and distance UAV record breakers of yester-year that were warned against have come back and landed with an almighty clatter amid a tide of FAA Strangulation.
The CAA and every other AA will follow suit sooner or later. The modern version of ring a doorbell and run like hell~ There’s a DRONE at the end of the runway~ whether it is a poly bag or not is immaterial. The airport is closed for hours and our hobby is the other thing that suffers. Sad!

Reactions: Gregg Kielma
Too late, Gregg! The damage cannot be undone.

All these height and distance UAV record breakers of yester-year that were warned against have come back and landed with an almighty clatter amid a tide of FAA Strangulation.
The CAA and every other AA will follow suit sooner or later. The modern version of ring a doorbell and run like hell~ There’s a DRONE at the end of the runway~ whether it is a poly bag or not is immaterial. The airport is closed for hours and our hobby is the other thing that suffers. Sad!

Well said. People who break the rules should be caught, fined and their machine taken away, forever. This has to be zero tolerance for everyone. JMO these jerks are going to reuin this for everyone.

Kielma

Truth is, the mainstream media(NBC, CNN,ABC, and CBS) love to run 'drone gone crazy' stories because they are sensational and liven up a broadcast.
The media take what is fed to them a lot of the time.
In the case of this drone(s) that created a problem for the Newark Airport, the pilot that reported it was fairly high up and descending into Newark for a landing.
if the pilot was travelling at about 150 mph and was coming in to land and was at 3,500 feet, things happen very quickly.
He told authorities he saw the drone 30 feet off his starboard(right) wing.

We may never conclusively know what this pilot saw;however, if he did see a drone, I hope the owner of the drone is eventually caught and fined and perhaps jailed for doing something very dangerous closeby an airport.

That said, I do feel that drones do come in for unfair criticism because there are plenty of cases where a pilot sees something which they cannot identify.
And the ' go to ' word they use is 'drone'.

In some cases, the word 'drone' has become a very convenient whipping post for things pilots see but cannot identify.

Truth is, the mainstream media(NBC, CNN,ABC, and CBS) love to run 'drone gone crazy' stories because they are sensational and liven up a broadcast.
The media take what is fed to them a lot of the time.
In the case of this drone(s) that created a problem for the Newark Airport, the pilot that reported it was fairly high up and descending into Newark for a landing.
if the pilot was travelling at about 150 mph and was coming in to land and was at 3,500 feet, things happen very quickly.
He told authorities he saw the drone 30 feet off his starboard(right) wing.

We may never conclusively know what this pilot saw;however, if he did see a drone, I hope the owner of the drone is eventually caught and fined and perhaps jailed for doing something very dangerous closeby an airport.

That said, I do feel that drones do come in for unfair criticism because there are plenty of cases where a pilot sees something which they cannot identify.
And the ' go to ' word they use is 'drone'.

In some cases, the word 'drone' has become a very convenient whipping post for things pilots see but cannot identify.

Well said again. Here is our problem as I see it.

News that is incorrect or outright false will really hurt this sport. Fake sightings can be manufactured by the FAA and airlines to really put the clamps on drones.

I know there are people out there that don't follow the rules. They are all over YouTube. It makes me mad that a very few are hurting all of us that fly responsible. I believe we need to police from within. Education is paramount. Operators that do not have their drone registered should be fined first then, a second offense taken away and barred from ever owning a drone again.

I'm an engineer, I deal in facts. Prove to me that this last occurrence really happened. Who was responsible and find the perpetrator. What were doing flying at 3500 ft, Tell me exactly how a pilot moving at 250 MPH landing an aircraft can distinguish it was a drone and how we as a group can help fix this before it becomes to late.

The FAA will most likely make everyone become certified in some way shape or form. Not necessarily a bad thing but those who want to break the law will certainly still do so. I’m a licensed fixed wing pilot and regularly see other pilots do whatever they want...

I’ve yet to hear of an erroneous “Drone Report” retraction and apology given the same reportage cover as a “near miss” .. if at all.

More rules, regulations, certification blah-blah-blah will do absolutely nothing except drive responsible folk away from the hobby. Enforcement of existing rules with appropriately hefty fines for irresponsible drone pilots with 6 months jail time on top of the fine for the likes off actual endangerment or serious airport disruption “fun” might just be enough to make things less hassle for us who just want to take some nice photos and movies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj