Do you ever have any "Oh crap" moments when you fly?

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was flying in a park near a dam. I wasn't thinking, and didn't notice the power lines.

Luckily, I noticed before anything bad happened. I made an audible series of curses, and brought my FC40 straight down.

Whew.

Reactions: dirkclod
Now Youngblood you know you to young to be cussing o_O ;)
I think most of us has had the Oh crap moments or What the heck ones . I know I have and most likely will continue to !! Just part of it :)
Am really glad to see ya still flying cause when ya first started I was a little worried about ya
but see ya coming along great !!!
Learn from them moments I do !! ;)
course I forget about them and do it again but that's another issue :confused:

Reactions: kitari
Yep, I have those moments all the time because I like trying new things and pushing the limits of my phantom. I'm that way with a lot of things in life as well. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, clear your mind, take a deep breath, and go for it. Even the pros mess up from time to time, and that's with anything in life. Just keep on flying and don't give up, and you'll be flying like a boss in no time!

Yeah "Oh Crap" moments are just part of the whole RC experience in my opinion. I have them less now than I used to - but I certainly have had my share of them!

I was filming a basketball game a few months back [without prop-guards because it's lame] at mid-altitude with some light winds and my spotter (someone I ask to let me know if I'm going to hit something) said I was getting too close to a light-post (about 25 feet high) and I was like "oh that one?" and I was probably about 2-3 inches from it (and getting closer while I said that).

I managed to save it though but that was the most close call I had. :confused:

I had one where I wanted a shot from above a cornfield. And wanted to descend to just above the crop but got over keen and it disappeared into the field! A quick throttle up and back it came- phew ejecting bits of crop from the props and gimbal which it had cut up...

I had one where I didn't see the powerlines during my normal pre flight look-around, then saw them just under the drone in live view. Felt really stupid I missed them. Biggest o crap was when a "lost connection" message popped up when I had the drone over the ocean for a shot of a listing from over the water - only lasted a few seconds, but really got my adrenaline going.

I had one where I didn't see the powerlines during my normal pre flight look-around, then saw them just under the drone in live view. Felt really stupid I missed them. Biggest o crap was when a "lost connection" message popped up when I had the drone over the ocean for a shot of a listing from over the water - only lasted a few seconds, but really got my adrenaline going.
I paid a lot of money for the ohh crap moments,all rc people might just enjoy the adrenaline rush.

I was taking pictures of my Grandchildren waving at me form the kitchen window (I was about a metre away from the window) It was a bit windy so decided to stop showing off and bring it away from the building, but pulled the lever the wrong way and it went forward instead of back. Apart from my heart stopping moment it was funny to see the kids jump down from the window sill because they thought I was coming through to join them, I explained to them later that I had at least half an inch to spare.

I was doing a fast close pass along a disused railway and thought it would be cool to get as close to a bridge as possible as it was climbing. I was standing on the bridge, so was at 90* to my phantom and had the perfect perspective for judging the bridge.

It wasn't till I watched the video back that I realised just how close I was to some trees on the embankment. Even just clipping a branch would have either put it into the ground or just clean into the bridge at max speed!

.......... The one and only time I flew it out of sight.... Oh crap, or words to that effect were uttered, lol.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo

Just about every flight.

I have a tendency to pull the throttle stick back instead of the control stick when using HL.
That drop in altiude straightens me out quickly

Reactions: Vanjo Grale
My first involuntary RTH was an Oh Crap moment, but I have had a few since. I find after exhausting 2 batteries I have had enough, I really enjoy putting the bird back in the case, safe and sound, and ready to fly again.
My first post on this forum, and probably not my last, such a vast resource of knowledge, thanks to all contributors.

Reactions: claws
o_O The OP to this... Youngblood....has not logged in since April the 13th ! I hope he hasn't had one of those real Oh Crap moments :eek: o_O ?
Now my biggest one was when mine was overhead at 240' and I heard it just quit and hit at my feet !
But that was more like a Damnitboy moment !
gomer.jpg
;)

Reactions: claws
I can Honestly say I have not had one yet with my Phantom. Knock on wood!! I have flown many RC Helicopters T-rex 450 and 650's. Those were nerve racking always knew it might go down rather than land. I was always prepared to the possibility that this "flight" could cost me $200. I learned quads first with little cheap $29-50 units. Learned the basics and control and got really good at the manual flying it takes. When I jumped into the Phantom it blew my mind how easy it was. It seemed so second nature and does exactly what I want it to do.

I almost always film urban landscapes so i have plenty of opportunities for puckering. Thankfully, I have less than I used to have. It was most of the time! But there are still plenty of times where I land only to realize I am sweating and sometimes a lot!

The concentration is still very intense.

Most of the time!

Had some waypoints set up on groundstation- hit take off. On its way to the first waypoint it started flying toward a light post. I thought- maybe I should divert then thought- oh - there's enough room. Wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic