DJI PHANTOM FC40 spent 3 hours underwater please help!

Reaction score
PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

I accidentally crashed my DJI Phantom FC40 in the River Thames last week. I lost control I don't know whether it was battery fault or the fact that one of my rotors had been a bit sticky of late. It was under water for 3 hours until the tide went out. I managed to save it and after a few days of drying it out, I turned it on and it started up ok. Though I have noticed that only one led and rotor is actually working. The other three are dead and there is no led lighting up under the 3 dead ones. There is also a consistent beeping noise from it too, not sure what this means. Reading some forums I think I need 3 new ESC's and 3 new rotors. I ain't very good with a soldering iron but willing to give it a go. I was just wondering whether any of you guys have replaced the ESC's on your Phantoms and is it easy? Or would I be best selling it for parts on Ebay and buy a new one? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Wow, so not good. There is no telling what all damage was done. If it was me, I would trying swapping ESCs around to see if that appears to be the only issue first. If so, I would then order new ones. This will take a bit of intermediate level soldering. If you know someone that is good at soldering and can teach you how to do it, that would be ideal.

If you're not too good with the iron, practice a bit and try. The soldering points there are quite thick and this is not micro surgery.
I use now a power station at 350 degrees that unsolder easily stuff without damaging the board or the components.
Now, I'm not an expert in working on a phantom but I would check the not working engines to the working ESC. That would eliminate 1 problem. I would also swap the working esc with another to identify the dead/working ones.
I think that the damage is limited to the ESC not the rotors but...
You should rather replace the esc's than selling the whole thing on ebay.
You may have damaged the naza, compass, gps module... It may still be a bit wet. How is it inside? still clean or dirty?

I drowned mine as well, so I know where you come from... I used a compressor to dry it. It works ok now, but I don't trust it much anymore. Only time will do.

Thanks for all your kind comments though I still don't know what to do. I guess mostly though I just miss being able to fly my Phantom I found it really quite therapeutic at the weekends and a good destress after the working week. Will keep you updated on what happens next though.

Cheers
Mark

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl