Distance Test??

Reaction score
Ok, so I had an idea for a distance test, but there is nowhere around my home I could do this. Maybe if someone lives near the salt flats in Utah, they could try this. I would love to know what the REAL range of the P3 is. So far, the distance testers have had to turn around due to battery deficiency rather than because they lost connection with the P3. It would be awesome to see someone just go and keep on going. If you were doing this at a place like the salt flats (especially if you add a tracker to it), then you should have no fear of losing the bird, and you can just drive to it once the battery or distance is depleted.

Umm, if it goes 35mph max, then its max range is 11.666 miles assuming u can fly it for 20 min at that speed... I think they got 17 minutes on video going full speed most of the time, so then max is 9.9 miles, but they only got 3.2 miles out in that video... you also have to consider wind...

Right, but I think it would be great to know the true distance it is capable of flying without losing connection to your tx

Radio range varies with location and conditions.

What good does salt flat data do for you in determining the range in conditions you might normally fly in?

(besides a bar bet maybe)

This guy got it to 5.2km (3.2 miles) before losing signal. Had clear video the whole time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"I am so worry. I got this new Phantom 2 days ago and I have so many things to do with it" LOL

This guy got it to 5.2km (3.2 miles) before losing signal. Had clear video the whole time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"I am so worry. I got this new Phantom 2 days ago and I have so many things to do with it" LOL
Edit: I see he did lose signal, but he was coming up on a thriving metropolis, which might explain the signal loss. The salt flats wouldn't have that issue.

I don't plan to ever fly this far, I'm just wondering what the max range you could ever fly it is (if you don't have to worry about turning around and getting back home before the battery runs out).

Ok, so I had an idea for a distance test, but there is nowhere around my home I could do this. Maybe if someone lives near the salt flats in Utah, they could try this. I would love to know what the REAL range of the P3 is. So far, the distance testers have had to turn around due to battery deficiency rather than because they lost connection with the P3. It would be awesome to see someone just go and keep on going. If you were doing this at a place like the salt flats (especially if you add a tracker to it), then you should have no fear of losing the bird, and you can just drive to it once the battery or distance is depleted.
I'm about an hour and a half away from the Bonneville Salt Flats. I can think of better and easier places to fly. While this would be a good test, I think it would be more enjoyable to get away from any signals and yest the limits slowly. That is, fly out 2 miles, then 2.5, then 3, etc. I suspect you'd be able to find the limit and still fly back. At least have a really good idea. I do want to go out in the middle of nowhere with flat line of sight and test the limits. Problem is, with just 1 battery it's not really worth it right now. Few more weeks and I'll probably have 3. I'll certainly do some testing then.

Right, but I think it would be great to know the true distance it is capable of flying without losing connection to your tx
Ryank I've flown my Phantom 3 advanced to 6% left on the battery. clocked 40555 ft. Now that was not straight out. straight out I've gone 18000 ft and returned with 21%. Both times I was only using a wind surfer.

Flown P3P stock no mods, on a windless day and off a hill out of town 6140m (20,144ft) landed with 7% battery left.

Reactions: phxbird57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31