Disapointment at Chanonry Point

Reaction score
Chanonry Point (Scottish Gaelic: Gob na Cananaich) lies at the end of Chanonry Ness, a spit of land extending into the Moray Firth between Fortroseand Rosemarkie on the Black Isle, Scotland Chanonry Point is one of the best spots in the UK to view Bottlenose dolphin Tursiops truncatus from the land. The dolphins are often visible off Chanonry point, particularly on an incoming tide when they play and fish in the strong currents. Other wildlife, includingporpoises and grey seals, can also regularly be spotted. European otters Lutra lutra are occasional visitors. (only a single dolphin turned up on this trip & after 15 minutes of filming all i got was 7 seconds of footage so a return is on the cards)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've GOT to head north again next year - Black Isle & Channonry Point is one of my favourite "stop-overs" on the way to Orkney.

But aren't the dolphins temperamental - if they don't feel the need to leap out of the water, they just tease us mere humans :)

Last time I visited, in the days before I had a drone, I managed 1 shot with one of them completely out of the water in a burst of 50
DSC02813.JPG

Reactions: Randolph_Kricke
I've GOT to head north again next year - Black Isle & Channonry Point is one of my favourite "stop-overs" on the way to Orkney.

But aren't the dolphins temperamental - if they don't feel the need to leap out of the water, they just tease us mere humans :)

Last time I visited, in the days before I had a drone, I managed 1 shot with one of them completely out of the water in a burst of 50View attachment 67909
nice snap there Whitwellian that's what I was looking for lol

Often wondered about filming at the same place myself.

However, have wondered whether the ultrasonic sensors on the base of the Phantom actually put the wee beasties off. Is there a way of turning these off?

Are there any guidelines to follow in the UK regarding marine life as well? Please don't take this as me criticising - I'm sure the tourist boats are quite annoying to the wildlife but you know how some of the general public can be regarding drones/UAVs etc.

Often wondered about filming at the same place myself.

However, have wondered whether the ultrasonic sensors on the base of the Phantom actually put the wee beasties off. Is there a way of turning these off?

Are there any guidelines to follow in the UK regarding marine life as well? Please don't take this as me criticising - I'm sure the tourist boats are quite annoying to the wildlife but you know how some of the general public can be regarding drones/UAVs etc.
hi Dale Rodgers I don't use the vps on the p3p buddy it was switched off on the first flight lol
yeh in advanced settings the option is there to switch it off buddy if your flying over water
turn it off as it can coz problems. the public has never been an issue for me even flying
a chanonry point people were asking me about the p3p & I think the photographers
took a few snaps as well lol but you will need to fly low because of the airport over the
water and if your drone fw is newer than 1.6 it wont fly as your just inside the 5 mile radius at
chanonry I have my bird running fw1.6 so I don't get any issues :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31