Cyan replacing white in pictures

Reaction score
Last week, I had a job and in approximately 1/3 of the pictures, cyan replaced white. This could not be corrected by changing the white balance or in post. Anyone seen this before and if so, come up with a fix for it?

Last week, I had a job and in approximately 1/3 of the pictures, cyan replaced white. This could not be corrected by changing the white balance or in post. Anyone seen this before and if so, come up with a fix for it?
Did you shoot raw or jpeg?

Can you post an example file?

Did you shoot raw or jpeg?

Can you post an example file?
I'm normally set to take multiple exposures and RAW/JPEG, so I don't have to go back. This is actually a composite of 3 exposures, but the color is there on the Raw and each image.

Attachments

• DJI_0228_76.jpg
    DJI_0228_76.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 136
Looking at the RGB values, the offending areas have essentially no red. Yet the green and blue are very high and look reasonable for a very light area.

Perhaps the Red is getting blown out and something in your processing path substitutes a very small value for the blown out red regions.

What do you use to to process raw files? Have you tried a different software raw decoder?

Is this shoot the first time you have seen this problem? If so, maybe something happened to the camera or image conversion in the drone.

This is on the raw and jpegs and all three exposures. The red appears to be fine in the oranges. I use ACDSee to view/adjust and Aurora HDR to process the brackets. I also looked at them in Luminar AI. I can make it look halfway decent by dropping that particular color, but the whites still look washed out. If I try to adjust the temperature, it turns everything red. It's on about 18 photographs or in a total of 108 exposures out of almost 300 and the first part of the session and the last few look fine. I believe it's coming out of the camera this way. This is definitely the first time I've seen this on any of my drones and I've used this one on hundreds of jobs without a problem.

Not to be a pessimist but it looks like your camera is starting to fail. I would either contact DJI or another reputable repair house and see what it would cost to replace. You clearly need a reliable camera doing the work you are. Hoping someone else can offer a better solution than mine.

Not to be a pessimist but it looks like your camera is starting to fail. I would either contact DJI or another reputable repair house and see what it would cost to replace. You clearly need a reliable camera doing the work you are. Hoping someone else can offer a better solution than mine.

It does look like a camera failure given that it just suddenly started.

After the first failed image was it then an intermittent failure? Or once it went bad it stayed bad?

It might be as simple as re-seating internal connectors. I've never had mine open so I don't know how big a deal that would be.

I'm afraid it was the beginning of something, but was hoping it was a known failure mode, if it was. It was about 180 good pictures, 54 bad ones, then another 20 good ones that day. I went out and did a full apartment complex today and didn't see it. I haven't been able to reproduce it.

I'm afraid it was the beginning of something, but was hoping it was a known failure mode, if it was. It was about 180 good pictures, 54 bad ones, then another 20 good ones that day. I went out and did a full apartment complex today and didn't see it. I haven't been able to reproduce it.
The color balance for the image looks good as a whole. This appears where the whites are blown out and may be a way of showing that it is out of gamut range. The other possibility is that as others stated the sensor may be on the way out. I had a camera of another brand that got vertical black lines in blown out areas. The sensor/lens assembly had to be replaced.

The color balance for the image looks good as a whole. This appears where the whites are blown out and may be a way of showing that it is out of gamut range. The other possibility is that as others stated the sensor may be on the way out. I had a camera of another brand that got vertical black lines in blown out areas. The sensor/lens assembly had to be replaced.
I had the exact same problem with a Yuneec Typhoon H, but I had physically damaged the board while trying to replace the lens.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I had the exact same problem with a Yuneec Typhoon H, but I had physically damaged the board while trying to replace the lens.
That’s the one, CGO3+ camera. Note my avatar.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic