Caring for your P4P (or other) after an evening at the beach.

Reaction score
Today I went out for some evening video and photography at a local beach. I arrived at about 6:30 and flew one battery and shot some video. After landing I sat down to just enjoy the atmosphere and soak up some people free time and the sound of waves as I waited for the right sunset shot. My bird was sheltered during that waiting period (about an hour) but there was a strong onshore breeze picking up sea spray. The bird was slightly damp from the mist. I flew my sunset mission and got photos, then packed up and came home.

So far I've wiped it with a dry rag, then a barely moist rag, followed by another dry rag. The props I washed under lukewarm water with no soap.

I haven't tackled the camera yet, other than a very gentle wipe with a glasses cleaning cloth avoiding the camera lens, which does have the factory filter installed.

Any advice is welcome. I need to learn this care as salt mist and spray will be a constant in my photography life.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
You need to get the Phantom Rain wet suit that will not only keep the moisture and water out will do a great job blocking any blowing sand. you can check out the website at Phantomrain.org

As far as what you can do now, use a blower if you have some sand in the drone, and a wet wipe will help pick up some of the sand but the Wet Suit is the way to go as you wont have these worries as the drone including the gimbal is well protected.

This will allow you to fly stress free if you get caught in the rain, snow, hail. extreme cold or sandy beaches.

Comes in 3 color setups this one being popular as its best for visual sight , and beautifully protects the drone from the elements and than some.

These pics will give you some idea as to how much of the drone is protected.

Approved vendor.
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.29.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 4.13.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 1.26.18 PM.png

I'm curious how applying some pieces of thin adhesive rubber to the plastic shell surfaces (which will not be damaged by moisture anyway) will keep the moisture and water out, especially the sea spray and mist FL_Mike is referring to, if all moisture sensitive components and entryways are still completely exposed to the elements. To me, it just doesn't make sense.

So the neoprene that is used is closed cell and the only open vents are the bottom of the unit, it is difficult for water to go up , rather even mist comes across and or downward. So because of this , the protection is really good for both rain, snow, sand , ect

We shot this Phantom in a storm and even with the wind and the horizontal rain, the drone kept all the water out no rice was needed to dry the unit.

You could never get away this without the wet suit as the water would just pour into the drone.
We seal the battery ,that is number 1 spot where water and sand get in.
We seal the props and the motors but still allow vents tor breathe.
We seal the gimbal where blowing sand is most likely to go.

We have fully tested the units under extreme conditions and the results are the same , great protection.

This video is a little bit extreme and this is not what we intend it for but it does show how well the wet suit negotiates water ,

It was 3am at night and the neighbors were not happy with me as i was staying at a friends house.

You need to get the Phantom Rain wet suit that will not only keep the moisture and water out will do a great job blocking any blowing sand. you can check out the website at Phantomrain.org

As far as what you can do now, use a blower if you have some sand in the drone, and a wet wipe will help pick up some of the sand but the Wet Suit is the way to go as you wont have these worries as the drone including the gimbal is well protected.

This will allow you to fly stress free if you get caught in the rain, snow, hail. extreme cold or sandy beaches.

Comes in 3 color setups this one being popular as its best for visual sight , and beautifully protects the drone from the elements and than some.

These pics will give you some idea as to how much of the drone is protected.

Approved vendor.
View attachment 97406

View attachment 97407

View attachment 97408

This machine is loaded with venting. I dont see how any kind of stick on skin can seriously protect anything.

Thanks for your input though.

Reactions: MapMaker53
The motors and gimbal are "sealed"? LOL. If the motors and gimbal have movement, there is no way that opening is sealed against moisture unless the rubber is rubbing against the moving pieces, which would slow down the moving parts and put strain on both gimbal and motors. Rain drops will drip off the shell due to gravity (as you say, "it is difficult for water to go up") whether the shell has a rubber coating or not - maybe even easier with a slick plastic surface rather than a matte rubber one. I get it that the battery bay can be sealed with a rubber gasket because no movement between battery and shell is necessary. But hey does anyone know if the battery button is sealed against water at the factory? I think you are basically selling $80 (+ shipping) snake oil based on your claims. Look at all of the openings for moisture in the photos on your website. Frankly, my biggest concern with insulating the plastic shell with a layer of rubber would be heat retention inside the body.

Last edited:
Reactions: FL_Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl