Can lost Phantoms be traced back to their owner?

I take your point about finite police resources, but you should not assume that the way the police operate in your own country is representative of how they work everywhere else. This is a global (planet) forum after all.

True. Im sure in other county's an even in some us citys they will still atleast go threw the motions of Trying to solve a case.

I had an electric drill stolen out of my garage a couple of years back. The police turned up and in turn called out a forensics guy who took dabs and took away a cigarette butt for analysis. Never heard anything of course, but at least they did show up and put the hours in.
LOL over here thats called getting in some over time. When they put the hours in. and it atleast makes the victim feel they are atleast trying to solve the case. Even tho its usually a slim chance they even can inless that catch an easy break such as seeing some one by chance walking down the street on there way back to the station with a drill in there hand.
But they dont useally get that lucky and they leave with the cigaret butt and put it in a baggy marked evidence and a report that sits in a folder on some investigators desk. For some day when they have all the big crimes solved and all the higher priority stuff cleared and maybe they get around to trying to track down the smoking drill bandit. OR use it if some one else in the area gets caught robbing some place and pin all the robbery's in the area on them and try to see if the person has a drill or matches up the cigaret butt.

But back to the original post. Id ay its all going to be relevant to what ever happens with the drone causing some sort of accident. and think the bigger the incident the more resources would be put in to locating the owner even if there was nothing written on the thing that makes it easy to find the owner. and if it was some thing serious enough even a disposable email account could be traced back to some one. With out going threw some serious covering of your tracks. Which seems a bit to much inless some one were actually planing to do some thing nefarious with it. But in that case even wanting any one to also be able to get in touch if its just lost dont seem like some thing some one would do if they were planing on some thing bad happening or using it for some thing bad.

Tho I will admit when I first considered putting my number on mine. The thought did cross my mind or what if some thing happened were I dont want any one to trace back to me. BUT I concluded that thats less likely then just randomly losing it or a fly away were it just crashes in to a yard. and will just take the chance that if it ever damages any thing I'll just have to deal with it. BUT its a good thing I do have contact info on mine cause its helped get it back a few times.

GoodnNuff said:
Very clever Timmy. Let's hope you aren't outwitted though.
Should a drone drop from the sky and hit my property causing damage, and I should find nothing but a non-identifying email address on it, I'll be sure to contact you.
I'll send a note to that email stating that your drone was found in my south yard and seems to be intact. I wouldn't be naïve enough to mention the damage you are liable for. I'll save that until after I get your contact information or when you arrive to pick up the drone and the police are waiting with me.
Some of us Timmy, have been riding the rodeo for a while now.

LOL, you been watching too many crime-drama movies, Mr. Goody. :lol:

A more realistic outcome would be that I come to your house to pick up my bird and you inform me that it caused some property damage when it crash landed. Depending on your tone of voice and level of respect towards me, I would either be willing to pay the costs out of pocket, or rigorously defend my rights and refuse to pay and take my busted Phantom and leave. At that point, you can choose to sue me but good luck trying to find my home address at which to serve me court papers for a suit since I'm using an anonymous email address and you don't know who I am. You can also try getting the police involved but there again, unless somebody was seriously hurt they won't get involved in a simple accidental property damage case except maybe filing a report. Police have more important things to do than just "wait around" for a property damage defendant to show up at a plaintiff's property. :roll:

Looks like your "good" isn't quite "enuff"! Even the best rodeo riders get thrown off the bull, my friend. :p

TimmyG94 said:
GoodnNuff said:
Very clever Timmy. Let's hope you aren't outwitted though.
Should a drone drop from the sky and hit my property causing damage, and I should find nothing but a non-identifying email address on it, I'll be sure to contact you.
I'll send a note to that email stating that your drone was found in my south yard and seems to be intact. I wouldn't be naïve enough to mention the damage you are liable for. I'll save that until after I get your contact information or when you arrive to pick up the drone and the police are waiting with me.
Some of us Timmy, have been riding the rodeo for a while now.

LOL, you been watching too many crime-drama movies, Mr. Goody. :lol:

A more realistic outcome would be that I come to your house to pick up my bird and you inform me that it caused some property damage when it crash landed. Depending on your tone of voice and level of respect towards me, I would either be willing to pay the costs out of pocket, or rigorously defend my rights and refuse to pay and take my busted Phantom and leave. At that point, you can choose to sue me but good luck trying to find my home address at which to serve me court papers for a suit since I'm using an anonymous email address and you don't know who I am. You can also try getting the police involved but there again, unless somebody was seriously hurt they won't get involved in a simple accidental property damage case except maybe filing a report. Police have more important things to do than just "wait around" for a property damage defendant to show up at a plaintiff's property. :roll:

Looks like your "good" isn't quite "enuff"! Even the best rodeo riders get thrown off the bull, my friend. :p

Timmy. This hobby and the world needs a lot fewer people with that attitude.

Accidents happen and people know, we just needs to be responsible about it. If your Phantom ever crashes through a sun roof on my house, I am sure not just going to let you walk in, take it and just walk out. Let's hope you don't do this in one of those states with a castle doctrine law or you may never walk anywhere again.

macheung said:
Timmy. This hobby and the world needs a lot fewer people with that attitude.

Accidents happen and people know, we just needs to be responsible about it. If your Phantom ever crashes through a sun roof on my house, I am sure not just going to let you walk in, take it and just walk out. Let's hope you don't do this in one of those states with a castle doctrine law or you may never walk anywhere again.

What this hobby needs is more responsible flyers like me and less of the false machismo that some people like you and GoodnNuff like to exhibit in here. Doesn't really impress anyone, ya know?

Many of us live in America and lawsuits filed in small claims court are how 99.9% of all drone-induced property damage cases are being handled and will be handled going into the future. You're simply looking like a clown with the far-right wing chest-thumping about "I'm gonna have my loaded gun and my good ol' boy police buddies here waiting for ya" cartoonish attitude.

We all know that if I showed up at your house to claim my Phantom, all you can do is shout some obscenities at me as I calmly retake possession of my bird and climb into my car and leave with a big smile on my face. Any sort of fantasy beyond that only happens in a "Dukes of Hazzard" rerun from 1978. :lol:

TimmyG94 said:
Many of us live in America and lawsuits filed in small claims court are how 99.9% of all drone-induced property damage cases are being handled and will be handled going into the future.
Can you cite one?

What this hobby needs is more responsible flyers like me and less of the false machismo that some people like you and GoodnNuff like to exhibit in here. Doesn't really impress anyone, ya know?

Oh but Timmy, it is apparent we've made an impression on you.

:roll:

SteveMann said:
TimmyG94 said:
Many of us live in America and lawsuits filed in small claims court are how 99.9% of all drone-induced property damage cases are being handled and will be handled going into the future.
Can you cite one?

Don't need to. It's a truth that is self-evident, as Thomas Jefferson would say. ;)

My phone number plus the text "REWARD" are Sharpie'd onto my Phantom.
If my property causes damage to someone else's property or person, I accept responsibility.
Surely that is the most decent thing to do Timmy rather than hide behind an email address and let others suffer problems your property may cause?

[quote="TimmyG94] What this hobby needs is more responsible flyers like me and less of the false machismo that some people like you and GoodnNuff like to exhibit in here. :lol:[/quote]

Says the guy who is explaining how to avoid responsibility for damages his drone may cause should it crash.

Says the guy who on another thread is asking about a monitor tray he can attach to his steering wheel to allow him to fly from inside is car.

:lol:

Andrey320 said:
OP: interesting handle and avatar.... I hear the Phantoms are used on the Russian / Ukrainian front....

I'd love to fly a Phantom low over the Donetsk airport with "пошел на хуй россия" (F-U Russia) written all over it!!

GoodnNuff said:
[quote="TimmyG94] What this hobby needs is more responsible flyers like me and less of the false machismo that some people like you and GoodnNuff like to exhibit in here. :lol:

Says the guy who is explaining how to avoid responsibility for damages his drone may cause should it crash.

Says the guy who on another thread is asking about a monitor tray he can attach to his steering wheel to allow him to fly from inside is car.

:lol:[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

We should all just write on our drones:

BADLY DESIGNED AND POORLY MANUFACTURED BY DJI IN CHINA. IF YOU FIND THIS THING CRASHED INTO YOUR PROPERTY PLEASE CALL DJI AT 1-800-FUKUTOO

TimmyG94 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Also, how does just putting your email address, on it, keep you from being sued? An email is enough for law enforcement to find you.

It's not that hard to sign up for free email from Google or Yahoo! and then only check it from public WiFi hotspots around town using a prepaid phone that doesnt have your ID attached to your data plan. How would law enforcement ever know who you are?

And please don't say they will catch somebody on camera inside Starbucks using their WiFi. That kind of easy-peezy rapid crime solving only happens in the movies!

What is it that we need to avoid? Our responsibility if we crash OUR drone into someone else's property? That is how this began.

PhantomFanatic said:
TimmyG94 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Also, how does just putting your email address, on it, keep you from being sued? An email is enough for law enforcement to find you.

It's not that hard to sign up for free email from Google or Yahoo! and then only check it from public WiFi hotspots around town using a prepaid phone that doesnt have your ID attached to your data plan. How would law enforcement ever know who you are?

And please don't say they will catch somebody on camera inside Starbucks using their WiFi. That kind of easy-peezy rapid crime solving only happens in the movies!

What is it that we need to avoid? Our responsibility if we crash OUR drone into someone else's property? That is how this began.

Ya so DJI tries to save 2 cents on a $1300 quad to increase their profit margin and because of that it the quad glitches/burns up/gets confused/looses power (whatever) and crashes into a driving car, causes an accident in which someone is killed. You want ME to take responsibility for that? Good luck.

russianfront said:

The question was: "Can lost drones be traced back to their owners?"

You can't crash your Phantom and hope no one will find you, by the serial number, then ask if you lose it, will you get it back!

You get it back by writing your contact information on it and stating that you will give a reward. There is no scheme that will allow for both scenarios to work out as you wish.

You just need to look at the "DJI + Discover" App at the flying hotspot !
Address can also be downloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will take your question as hypothetical and for curiosity value rather than genuine.

To the extent your may have cause to suspect you might be in this scenario I would say revise your flying habits or find another hobby.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers