Brand new Mavic Air 2

M

Melvoid

Hi all,

I just received my third in a series, a Mavic Air 2. After jumping through the usual hoops (I've had a Phantom 1 and 3), I finally got it off the ground. I used what I suspected was a less-than-optimum SD card and played with the movie and photo settings a bit, taking several of each. When I checked on my phone, they were there in the cache. When I put the card in my computer, however, no files. Looks like it had been formatted by the 'copter, but there were no images anywhere.

I DID get a message on the screen about the card being too slow, so I'm not totally surprised. Could this be why?

On the other hand, first flight was nice. Pictures and video in the cache look great.

Lemme know what you think. Thanks, as always!

Hi all,

I just received my third in a series, a Mavic Air 2. After jumping through the usual hoops (I've had a Phantom 1 and 3), I finally got it off the ground. I used what I suspected was a less-than-optimum SD card and played with the movie and photo settings a bit, taking several of each. When I checked on my phone, they were there in the cache. When I put the card in my computer, however, no files. Looks like it had been formatted by the 'copter, but there were no images anywhere.

I DID get a message on the screen about the card being too slow, so I'm not totally surprised. Could this be why?

On the other hand, first flight was nice. Pictures and video in the cache look great.

Lemme know what you think. Thanks, as always!
"Lemme know what you think." were images supposed to be here?

"Lemme know what you think." were images supposed to be here?
Not sure I understand the reply, but on my P3P, there were images and movies in the DCIM folder. This time, they showed up on the phone, but all of the folders on the card were blank. I did a search from the root for *.jpg and *.mp4 and came up with nothing.

So, is it the card or is there a setting somewhere that I missed. This was the maiden flight, by the way.

I would start by using a different card

Memory cards come in different qualities and vary in read and write speeds. The warning that you got about the card being too slow should be a no brainer. That coupled with your own opinion that you used a less than optimal SD card, should tell you that the card is not compatible. I suggest you first check with the Mavic Air manual and get a card that is recommended as compatible. Stick with high quality. Why spend the money on a high uality drone and scrimp on cheap memory cards. I prefer Sandisk Extreme Pro. I used to also use Lexar but have read that Lexar was sold and is now not as reliable as they used to be and for that reason, I don't buy them any more. Remember... If all else fails, read the manual.

Well, no-brainers aside, the question was whether it would actually refuse to save the files. Today, I tried another card, but this time noticed it gave me a prompt to "Switch Storage Location" to the SD card. That's all it took. Either I missed it earlier (again, it was its maiden flight) or it didn't show.

After 40 minutes of trying to register on it, then waiting for it to do a firmware upgrade, and all the hoops to jump through, I very well may have missed the prompt.

I have since purchased a high-speed, super-duper card which I haven't yet had a chance to try out.

A final thought on less-than-optimum. I figured that it would at least save the .jpg files. I think it was the prompt asking about where to save it.
Meantime, I bought a SanDisk ImageMate PRO (microSDXC) UHS-1 card and it seems to work fine.
Thanks for all the replies.

Memory cards come in different qualities and vary in read and write speeds. The warning that you got about the card being too slow should be a no brainer. That coupled with your own opinion that you used a less than optimal SD card, should tell you that the card is not compatible. I suggest you first check with the Mavic Air manual and get a card that is recommended as compatible. Stick with high quality. Why spend the money on a high uality drone and scrimp on cheap memory cards. I prefer Sandisk Extreme Pro. I used to also use Lexar but have read that Lexar was sold and is now not as reliable as they used to be and for that reason, I don't buy them any more. Remember... If all else fails, read the manual.
So, a slightly slower card IS "compatible." In fact, not using 4k (I use 1080p) it worked fine. The faster card is mainly necessary if recording 4k video. And .JPG files work on most any speed. It was simply a matter of missing the prompt telling it where to store the files.

So, a slightly slower card IS "compatible." In fact, not using 4k (I use 1080p) it worked fine. The faster card is mainly necessary if recording 4k video. And .JPG files work on most any speed. It was simply a matter of missing the prompt telling it where to store the files.
If you plug the USB port into your computer you may see the pictures in the internal storage of the drone

I'll try that. I've always used the SD card, so I didn't know that was there, I guess. Thanks!

I'll try that. I've always used the SD card, so I didn't know that was there, I guess. Thanks!
Since it asked you which storage location I would presume it has some internal storage.
Mavic two pro has 8 Gb.
It should come up like a flash drive.

Yes, it did. The very first video I took with it didn't go to the SD card, and the cache on my phone was lo-res... but there it was on the internal hard drive in all its glory. Thanks for mentioning that. Also nice when I get all the way "out there" and realize I left the SD card in the computer at home. At least I have an option. And yes, I've done that more than once.

Thanks, JimD, for the suggestion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20