Bird Strike RX

Reaction score
Bird strikes are always a potential hazard wherever we fly. Most gardener's know the trick of keeping birds away by tying a piece of string to a rock and an old CD/DVD, and tossing them up into the tree limbs surrounding their garden.
I live in a heavily treed area, w/a passel of hawks. They would menace my drones on almost all flights, and I would have to take evasive action. Then I decided to try the reflective cd/dvd trick by putting reflective adhesive strips on my drones (see photo). Now I see the hawks get close, then peel off ;-)
These reflective strips provide a secondary purpose of making your drone more visible in the event of a unplanned landing.......somewhere.

Attachments

• BirdStrikeRX.jpg
    BirdStrikeRX.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 398
Bird strikes are always a potential hazard wherever we fly. Most gardener's know the trick of keeping birds away by tying a piece of string to a rock and an old CD/DVD, and tossing them up into the tree limbs surrounding their garden.
I live in a heavily treed area, w/a passel of hawks. They would menace my drones on almost all flights, and I would have to take evasive action. Then I decided to try the reflective cd/dvd trick by putting reflective adhesive strips on my drones (see photo). Now I see the hawks get close, then peel off ;-)
These reflective strips provide a secondary purpose of making your drone more visible in the event of a unplanned landing.......somewhere.
Nice collection there and great tip

Reactions: Douglas Scott Sr
Thanks for the tip. At my favourite beach where I like to fly I had to land very quickly to avoid attention from an Albatross! Reflective stickers on the way!

I think I’m going to add some tinfoil to my drone too. Just not around the antennas Last week I was flying out of my backyard to catch a sunset, and as I was climbing my drone was inundated with bats! They didn’t attack the drone, but they were definitely interested in it and seem to follow the drone where ever I flew it. The only way to get the bats away from the drone was to fly higher than the bats were willing to fly, or two land. I got some video, but the bats were zipping past the drone so fast that all you see is a blur in front of the lens. What is it with bats and drones? Do they think it’s a big mosquito because of the sound?

Reflective tape/stickers are a good idea and I've also seen several people use "stick on EYES" like those used on teddy bears etc with good success.

Side Note: Rx is the abbreviation for Receiver when talking about radio technology so your title reads strange for us old timers who talk about the Tx (transmitter) and Rx(receiver) in our aircraft.

Reactions: Harleydude
Good idea thanks. Have had some trouble with seagulls, maybe this could help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24