August 21st Eclipse

Reaction score
Hey Pilots,

I'm a P4P+ flyer, planning on filming the upcoming solar eclipse, here seeking advice on how to get a great long shot video. From where I am I have open water to film above, almost 3 hours of partial eclipse, and 2m36s of full eclipse. At the start of the eclipse will be 66 degrees above the horizon and the ending will be at 49.4. I have nd4/8/16/32/64/128 filters to use as well as 2 batteries and range extender i've yet to test out. Lastly there is an IFR above me as well.

Reactions: cr6
I say this as a twice experienced total solar eclipse viewer (Voldasta, Georgia 1970, Aruba 1998) and a lifelong astronomy buff:

Do NOT burden yourself with camera equipment!

Totality is too short, and SPECTACULAR!

Savor every second, and take in your entire local happenings... both in the sky, and around you.

Trust me, if you try to divide your attention between event and equipment... you will lose out on the full experience.

There will be plenty of eclipse stuff posted on the net, and they won't be different from past eclipse stuff already posted.

Reactions: JetLife
Seriously, a drone isn't going to get you that much closer to the sun and moon to see an eclipse better. But maybe you could get a better backdrop....

I say this as a twice experienced total solar eclipse viewer (Voldasta, Georgia 1970, Aruba 1998) and a lifelong astronomy buff:

Do NOT burden yourself with camera equipment!

Totality is too short, and SPECTACULAR!

Savor every second, and take in your entire local happenings... both in the sky, and around you.

Trust me, if you try to divide your attention between event and equipment... you will lose out on the full experience.

There will be plenty of eclipse stuff posted on the net, and they won't be different from past eclipse stuff already posted.

+1. Said similar in a different thread here awhile back.

Being that "totality" will happen within 2 minutes, I don't see putting my P4P up in the air as a "burden". I intend to
"set it and forget it", while watching it live. Being that I live in Idaho Falls, one of the top 2 places in the country to view this years eclipse, I don't intend on missing out on this incredible opportunity to get a great aerial shot. And if it doesn't take it doesn't take, but I'm going to at least try.
We're expecting well over a million visitors from all over the world to converge on our small town. I'll have a much harder time finding a spot to fly that won't be over a crowd of people, than I will getting some good footage. But it shouldn't be too bad since we've got millions of wide open acreage. You know you're expecting a crap ton of people when the Idaho State Police plan on putting up hundreds of porta-potties along I-15. LOL

Good luck to those of you that intend to get some footage with your bird. I'll post a link of mine if I get some decent video.

Reactions: mdowney58
Being that "totality" will happen within 2 minutes, I don't see putting my P4P up in the air as a "burden". I intend to
"set it and forget it", while watching it live. Being that I live in Idaho Falls, one of the top 2 places in the country to view this years eclipse, I don't intend on missing out on this incredible opportunity to get a great aerial shot. And if it doesn't take it doesn't take, but I'm going to at least try.
We're expecting well over a million visitors from all over the world to converge on our small town. I'll have a much harder time finding a spot to fly that won't be over a crowd of people, than I will getting some good footage. But it shouldn't be too bad since we've got millions of wide open acreage. You know you're expecting a crap ton of people when the Idaho State Police plan on putting up hundreds of porta-potties along I-15. LOL

Good luck to those of you that intend to get some footage with your bird. I'll post a link of mine if I get some decent video.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your footage!

Be sure and post sir would love to see the turn out. Excited for you

"set it and forget it"

Here in Florida 85% totality will occur around 2:45 pm the sun will be pretty tall in the sky, even with the additional 30 degree up on the drone you won't be able to capture the sun but putting it up around 399' elevation you can probably get a nice time lapse of the shadow moving.

I am going to opt for my Nikon DSLR with solar white filter on a tripod, will film at 30fps, 2.7K, and speed it up in post production that way I will have both real time & time lapse.

Dumb question, if the eclipse is about 1.40 pm or so wont the sun still be high in the air.
How will you get the P4P camera to look up that high in the sky at the sun.
Also i may be wrong, which most of the time I am. I have been reading where cell phones cameras will not give you a good shot , due to the small lens and other factors.
It will look bleached out.
Most good cameras have special filters, or such.
Will the lens on the drone be able to handle such bright light.
Remember im just asking.
THX.........RobertC

You are right, using the drone will not be feasible for solar shots, it might be kinda cool to put it up 399" and have it video the shadow passing by. Here in N Florida we will have 85% totality, I would need to drive to Charleston SC for 100%, that's a 7 hour drive, not up for that.
I will be using my Nikon DSLR with a Solar White filter, checked all my settings today @ noon, full sun, my camera has a 60X digital zoom on it, best setting was 45X zoom in 4K, I'm going to post edit the video make it real short ( takes to long with my crappy Internet Service 1mbs upload ) and paste it here once I get it uploaded.

Did this 15 sec video. uploaded as 1080P, no color correction, white balance adjustments just raw video from a tripod.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetLife
Ok everyone, I checked shortly after the replies the upward angle I was able to view on the drone...I wasn't able to capture the eclipse...nor would there be a point in doing so with a phantom vs having a better camera on the groud. But, tomorrow i'm going to color and upload a landscape time lapse i got from 600 ft. I guarantee I have the best landscape time lapse video anyone took. And I didn't miss a second of the eclipse. A full totality eclipse was the coolest thing i've ever seen in my life (25) I'll check back tomorrow

A full totality eclipse was the coolest thing i've ever seen in my life (25) I'll check back tomorrow

April 8th, 2024 you'll get another chance. The path will from Texas to New York. The path will take it through Erie, Pa which only 3 hours drive north of me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164