Are there Rules about flying over neighbors homes???

I have an idiot neighbor who has a bunch of motorcycles and stuff - thinks he's a real badass. He's always out in his trashy yard and almost every time I fly over his house, he shoots at my drone. well at least i think he does, it's happened several times. he won't be doing any shooting but if i hover over his house for a minute i'll hear a gun shot. at first i got mad, but then i realized the chances of him hitting my drone moving slightly at 200+ feet is pretty slim, so now i do it just to piss him off. anyway, it's definitely not illegal.

Do you not understand that you, and people like you, are the reason the general public does not like drones? Do you not get the fact you you and your kind are the reason that we are losing places to fly every day?

Reactions: Steve G
Do you not understand that you, and people like you, are the reason the general public does not like drones? Do you not get the fact you you and your kind are the reason that we are losing places to fly every day?
think about it they shoot guns off in the neighborhood and nobody complains sounds like a rough area

Reactions: Apilot101
So you are siding with the guy that shoots at drones?? cause i'm not doing anything to the "general public". i was flying around one day and heard this idiot shoot at my drone. now he does it almost every time. i don't have a problem messing with someone like that. he's one of those "drone killers" so why not have a little fun with him? don't be so over dramatic. it's not like i'm flying over some little old lady and messing up her hair

Reactions: flpholt

same with helicopters and airplanes, they should not be flying over my house either, HOW DARE THEM!!
I also saw a guy walking down my street with a camera around his neck, I was thinking of getting my springfield 1911, HOW DARE HIM!!

same with helicopters and airplanes, they should not be flying over my house either, HOW DARE THEM!!
I also saw a guy walking down my street with a camera around his neck, I was thinking of getting my springfield 1911, HOW DARE HIM!!

People intentionally pissing of their neighbors does nothing good for this hobby. While the FAA alone controls the sky, we're losing ground on which it's legal to take off from and land on all the time.

Why am I trying to explain this to someone that actually argued his right to interfere with aerial firefighting operations to get the footage he's entitled to?

So you are siding with the guy that shoots at drones?? cause i'm not doing anything to the "general public". i was flying around one day and heard this idiot shoot at my drone. now he does it almost every time. i don't have a problem messing with someone like that. he's one of those "drone killers" so why not have a little fun with him? don't be so over dramatic. it's not like i'm flying over some little old lady and messing up her hair

Am I siding with the guy that shoots at drones? No. Not at all.

However, having read many of your posts, I am not at all surprised that one of your neighbors dislikes you and your drone so much that they would want to shoot it down.

People intentionally pissing of their neighbors does nothing good for this hobby. While the FAA alone controls the sky, we're losing ground on which it's legal to take off from and land on all the time.

Why am I trying to explain this to someone that actually argued his right to interfere with aerial firefighting operations to get the footage he's entitled to?

nice job putting words in my mouth, I never argued that its "my right" to "interfere" with "firefighters"

but glad you came across like that. Once again, if I saw a fire I like many MILLIONS OF OTHERS, would want to video it, you know there are shootings out there in this world and even during those situations people will film it.

So again, I wouldn't think twice about filming something like that, my point from that discussion is the dude got arrested and probably had no idea it was even illegal. It was a huge forest fire which I guess is common out there, here where I live we don't have that, so there is no fear of "interfering" with any safety workers.

Finally, I have every right to film what I want out in the public, and that is what we should protect, if the dude is "harassing" his neighbor then the neighbor should file a report, if he's simply flying over the house to get from point a to point b at a reasonable altitude (i.e. 200 or so feet) then that neighbor can go @#$%@ himself.

We don't own the airspace 100's of feet above our homes, we're not the white house.

and to be clear once again, I would never interfere with any safety crew, ever!

Reactions: Apilot101
nice job putting words in my mouth, I never argued that its "my right" to "interfere" with "firefighters"

but glad you came across like that. Once again, if I saw a fire I like many MILLIONS OF OTHERS, would want to video it, you know there are shootings out there in this world and even during those situations people will film it.

So again, I wouldn't think twice about filming something like that, my point from that discussion is the dude got arrested and probably had no idea it was even illegal. It was a huge forest fire which I guess is common out there, here where I live we don't have that, so there is no fear of "interfering" with any safety workers.

Finally, I have every right to film what I want out in the public, and that is what we should protect, if the dude is "harassing" his neighbor then the neighbor should file a report, if he's simply flying over the house to get from point a to point b at a reasonable altitude (i.e. 200 or so feet) then that neighbor can go @#$%@ himself.

We don't own the airspace 100's of feet above our homes, we're not the white house.

and to be clear once again, I would never interfere with any safety crew, ever!

Yeah, you did, and it pissed me off more than you understand. I know some of the people flying those repurposed commercial airliners full of retardant like they were crop dusters. Fearless, amazing pilots that are amazingly pissed off when they have to turn back because they can't risk sucking in four motors and a lipo. But that's not even my point.

I couldn't give a :screamcat: less about you filming whatever you see fit to film. That ain't my business.

What troubles me are the people that are so self absorbed that they can't see the effect that their ignorance has on this hobby in general. Like I said, we are losing ground all the time. I have no use for anyone that's helping to speed that along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup! The minute some nut straps 6 oz of home made C-4 onto his drone and follows Obama/Hillary onto right his/her chopper we can all kiss the "hobby" goodbye.
Someone is going to do it.
It is only a matter of time.

Reactions: flpholt
Yup! The minute some nut straps 6 oz of home made C-4 onto his drone and follows Obama/Hillary onto right his/her chopper we can all kiss the "hobby" goodbye.
Someone is going to do it.
It is only a matter of time.

and its up to us TO PROTECT it! It's like the minute someone takes a gun and starts to shoot people. wait, what?

We're not going to stop someone from "strapping c4 and flying into so and so" but just because someone does it, does not mean we are ruined.
Someone could have done this years ago with any type of RC, truth be told a drone wouldn't be the best hardware, they make RC planes gigantic and can carry a much bigger payload.

looking-eyes-transparent.gif

Well you may be right but the way I see it you might be one of those that can't wrap their nut around much of anything.
This thread began by questioning what can or cannot be done with your drone over someone else's property.....correct?
So...that begs to question: do you or don't you have a licence to fly over your neighbours house?
Anything else is simply rhetoric.

Had a neighbor come over while I was flying at night around 250 feet. He just wanted to say how cool it was. But I'm thinking he wanted to know what was going on that he might want to see if I was doing things I shouldn't do.

Rules are you must have a licence & insurance to fly over people and their property.
Cessna or Phantom you got to be a minimum of 1000' AGL flying over built up areas.
Out in the country its 500' AGL
You fall out of the air and hit someone the victim will end up owning just about everything you got or might ever get.

Rules are you must have a licence & insurance to fly over people and their property.
those rules are for planes only. there are only guidelines for drones and its only fly 400 ft above any nearby building or tower and keep it in sight, but nobody ever does that.

Corey, you've been informed before that maximum hobby/recreational flight altitude is 400 ft above ground level. The additional accommodations will be for 107 holders.

Reactions: Steve G
The maximum of 400' is to keep you out of air traffic.
You buzz my house and the cops will have your drone.
That is why Amazon can't use drones to deliver packages.
FAA will not issue a license and no one will insure them.
If your drone crashes on my roof and the lithium battery shorts out it will quite likely melt a hole through my roof, through the insulation and right into my living room.
What do you think you will have invested in your drone when the till quits ringing??
It is simply a liability issue.
You can't fly over the football stadium for fear of your drone turning into a 3 lb missile.
What makes you think its any different in your hood?

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesmiley
You buzz my house and the cops will have your drone.
pretty sure flying over your house isn't illegal, as much as you must want it to be. i've flown over tons of houses and never had a run in with the cops. then again, i make sure nobody know where i am when i fly - because of the crazies. lol
If your drone crashes on my roof and the lithium battery shorts out it will quite likely melt a hole through my roof, through the insulation and right into my living room.
i can tell you're a glass half empty kinda guy - haha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20