Anyone else had a problem with Department of Revenue in their state trying to collect taxes on their

You pay a sales tax when you buy a car and then you pay an excise or usage tax each year. Is that can't considered double taxation?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
You pay for a tag to use said vehicle yes...but a drone does not have to have a tag!! Nor Insurance!!! Nor yearly inspections!!

So today I receive a letter from the Ga Department of Revenue saying I owe them taxes on a newly registered aircraft! That aircraft being my 3DR IRIS+! WTF!!!

Information received by this division indicates that you are the owner of an aircraft that is domiciled in GA as of 5/15/2015. This aircraft reported to be domiciled in GA is listed as follows:
Then goes on to list the registration number from the FAA!! What a bunch of F****** Idiots!!!

Anyone else gotten anything like this??
I live in GA. What kind of Taxes? Sales, personal property, excise ... I registered in Dec. 2015 and no problems yet.

I live in GA. What kind of Taxes? Sales, personal property, excise ... I registered in Dec. 2015 and no problems yet.

Did you register yourself as a hobbyist (FA # for you) or did you register for commercial use (N # for the specific drone)?

They would only be able to tax aircraft with a "N" number.

We pay taxes when we buy called a sales tax then every year we pay a personal property tax. They make $$$ both ways. I just love paying taxes.

It was state tax from buying online. I have bought online before and was actually charged tax but not on this particular transaction for whatever reason. But to put a myth at rest...If you have an N number on your Drone YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY TAXES EVERY YEAR!!!

So today I receive a letter from the Ga Department of Revenue saying I owe them taxes on a newly registered aircraft! That aircraft being my 3DR IRIS+! WTF!!!

Information received by this division indicates that you are the owner of an aircraft that is domiciled in GA as of 5/15/2015. This aircraft reported to be domiciled in GA is listed as follows:
Then goes on to list the registration number from the FAA!! What a bunch of F****** Idiots!!!

Anyone else gotten anything like this??

very simple
up until last year when the FAA required registration and ID numbers assigned
ALL FAA registrations were real aircraft with real human people flying them.
Thus they were very valuable and the purchase sales tax could be thousands of dollars to the state.

the computers and state just haven't caught up!
send a note with it saying what you have.

good luck and have fun flying!

Last edited:
very simple
up until last year when the FAA required registration and ID numbers assigned
ALL FAA registrations were real aircraft with real human people flying them.
Thus they were very valuable and the purchase sales tax could be thousands of dollars to the state.

the computers and state just haven't caught up!
sent a not with saying what you have.

good luck and have fun flying!
If I'm ever asked I'll mention the same unfortunate boating accident where I also lost my firearms ;)

This was discussed several months ago with the consensus that if you live in a state that slaps a property tax on aircraft, you would probably be getting a bill for any sUASs that you registered commercially. Especially those that you requested an "N" number for. those states routinely scan the aircraft registry looking for aircraft in their state. Pay or not, your call. But how much hassle is a "Tax evasion" charge?

Sounds to me like the State thinks you have a real Airplane, not a UAS, because of the "N" designation. Easy mistake for a non technical person to make. Not agreeing with them by any means, but from their point of view, you are a businessman with an undocumented high dollar purchase (I'm certain they are thinking it's over $100,000).

The red flag here is that a businessman (you) who owns a real airplane might be underreporting income. Or trying to hide assets from the state. That is why the IRS is involved. I went through an airport in Frankfurt Germany with some Swarovski crystals, and they dived on my handheld baggage like they found the Holy Grail. I was fascinated by this interest, and the guy next in line told me there was a huge emerald smuggling going on through this airport, and that's what it was all about. When the woman inspector got to the wrapped package and tore it open and saw those fake crystals, the look on her face was priceless (she gave me a look that could stop time), and I had to put my hand over my mouth because it just made me start laughing). She really thought she found something, and I bet your state thinks the very same--high dollar assets not being reported. I would just bet your state and local IRS think that's what's going on here.

Rather than dig in your heels and get belligerent about it, just make a point of documenting all of it, and the costs. Before you get hold of a jerk IRS collection agent, just make sure they know it's a UAS, not a $$$ aircraft.

Virginia is a "cash register" state, and has this stupid "taxes not paid but owed to the Commonwealth" question in their state income tax-- real pain in the butt. I buy so much online, I don't keep track of what is taxed, and what isn't. I just make a guess of about $50 in unpaid taxes, and so far, they've been fine with me about it.

Sounds to me like the State thinks you have a real Airplane, not a UAS, because of the "N" designation. Easy mistake for a non technical person to make. Not agreeing with them by any means, but from their point of view, you are a businessman with an undocumented high dollar purchase (I'm certain they are thinking it's over $100,000).

The red flag here is that a businessman (you) who owns a real airplane might be underreporting income. Or trying to hide assets from the state. That is why the IRS is involved. I went through an airport in Frankfurt Germany with some Swarovski crystals, and they dived on my handheld baggage like they found the Holy Grail. I was fascinated by this interest, and the guy next in line told me there was a huge emerald smuggling going on through this airport, and that's what it was all about. When the woman inspector got to the wrapped package and tore it open and saw those fake crystals, the look on her face was priceless (she gave me a look that could stop time), and I had to put my hand over my mouth because it just made me start laughing). She really thought she found something, and I bet your state thinks the very same--high dollar assets not being reported. I would just bet your state and local IRS think that's what's going on here.

Rather than dig in your heels and get belligerent about it, just make a point of documenting all of it, and the costs. Before you get hold of a jerk IRS collection agent, just make sure they know it's a UAS, not a $$$ aircraft.

Virginia is a "cash register" state, and has this stupid "taxes not paid but owed to the Commonwealth" question in their state income tax-- real pain in the butt. I buy so much online, I don't keep track of what is taxed, and what isn't. I just make a guess of about $50 in unpaid taxes, and so far, they've been fine with me about it.
Has nothing on do with business or any other income. And it's not a one time sales tax. The state of Georgia has decided that aircraft belonging to residents of the state (business or private) are taxable property just like land, buildings, etc. and they will be collecting that tax every year as long as that aircraft appears on the FAA registry. Thought I better check. Turns out Ohio has an aircraft use tax too. I have 3 phantoms registered. Guess I can expect a letter too!

We pay taxes when we buy called a sales tax then every year we pay a personal property tax. They make $$$ both ways. I just love paying taxes.
I'm also in Virginia (past Manassas) -- ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

I'm also in Virginia (past Manassas) -- ABSOLUTELY AGREE.
The one that frosts me the most about VA? Paying $25 for the windshield sticker that says you paid your taxes, and they don't even supply the sticker anymore.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20