23 Minutes, really? A modified P1 can do better than that.

Reaction score
Why would DJI market a new bird which has already been outperformed by mods to the P1?
I know, as do many of you, they have the resources to proceed forward, we've given them that.
DJI could develop a Phantom with increased flight time and more capabilities than the P3.
I'm not guessing, nor am I speculating, I am wondering why they would not take the steps to offer what is wanted. Don't bother telling me how advanced the P3 is, I can read. Focus on the question.

Why would DJI market a Phantom which was outperformed months ago?

Doubt what I am saying?
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/my-fc40-p1-transformation-3-6km-11-800ft-fpv.37775/

Serious question, expecting serious replies.

Reactions: dirkclod
You lost me, that is not a Phantom, that is a custom built quad using FC40 parts and the capability to add big *** batteries. If you want a long range long flight quad you can go a lot further than that and fly for an hour if you want to build it. Could DJI do it? Certainly, but not without severely departing the current airframe design/size/shape.

Apples and oranges to me really.

That being said, yes I wish they would have made a larger battery option on the P3 if they changed it to a 4 cell anyway (P2 batteries unlikely to work?) I wanted more flight time. I was even hoping for a slightly larger air frame with larger props, lower KV motors and 6 cell battery.

"Surely you can't be serious?.... I am serious and don't call me Shirley".... ;-)

Flight time is not the be all and end all of the airframe..

If you want to fly longer, then use a bigger airframe/make your own.
The P3 offers most of the trimmings of the Inspire 1 at a cheaper price.

You have to be in their shoes, they have to hit the market that will make them the most money and be competitive. Yes, they could double the flight time but at what cost to them? If it prices them out of the market and cuts sales by 2/3's it's not a sound business decision.

it's the same business model that every tech company in the world uses. incremental upgrades = more $$

I'm trying to understand why you are comparing an out of the box model (P3), to a modified model "outperformed by mods to the P1?"

This comparison doesn't make any sense.
It would be like comparing two cars, one that is stock and one that has had a turbo added to it and then complaining that the all stock car is slower.....

Reactions: Birdu2
I'm trying to understand why you are comparing an out of the box model (P3), to a modified model "outperformed by mods to the P1?"

This comparison doesn't make any sense.
It would be like comparing two cars, one that is stock and one that has had a turbo added to it and then complaining that the all stock car is slower.....
There's also the fact that the modified P1 has, as far as I can tell, a low-quality camera that is NOT gimbal-mounted.

The P3 has approximately the same flight time rating as the P2V+ does, despite a heavier payload (aluminum camera body instead of plastic, larger camera sensor and hence heavier camera optics, and don't forget the optical flow sensor setup for low-altitude position holding.), which is pretty impressive.

Most of what I've read makes sense, the business model, the market and more, even the opinions. I am just amazed DJI would underperform. I don't know why I am, I just am.

"Go big or go home", doesn't seem to apply as much anymore. :confused:

compare.jpg

Reactions: IflyinWY

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31