107 drone registration and insurance?

Reaction score
I recently passed the 107 (currently in the background check phase of approval) and I am learning about the new registration process as a 107. The way I understand it I need to register each drone (p3p & p4p) under my 107. The company I work for is considering getting a m600 for mapping and marketing (eventually LIDAR if the price drops). Do I register the m600 under me and if another person in the office get the 107 do they also register the m600 under them (multiple registrations of one drone)? Does the company register the m600 as well and if so what is that process (is there a commercial registration despite "the company" not having a 107?)? Do I need personal insurance when flying the m600 even if the company is insured due to it being registered under my 107?

I hope that makes sense. The more details the better. Thanks.

The aircraft only needs to be registered once. The owner of the aircraft (whoever that is) should register it in their name regardless of who will be operating it. Additional users can be add to the drone registration on the dashboard. If you are covered by your companies insurance while operating the drone for them, then you should not need additional insurance. If you are operating the drone for your own business, then you should get your own insurance.

UAS Registration

UAS Flown under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107)
The FAA requires you to:

• Register your unmanned aircraft under "part 107"
Registration costs $5 per aircraft and is valid for 3 years.

In order to register, you'll need:

• Email address
    • Credit or debit card
    • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
    • Make and model of your unmanned aircraft

Last edited:
Reactions: Nmbr1stunna80
I would think that your company would be the ones to register the drone and you fly it with their registration numbers. Kinda like driving a company vehicle, you’re liscensed and can drive it but it’s still registered and owned by the company. That’s honestly just a guess though as I’m pretty new to all of this and not 107 certified. You might be better served contacting the FAA directly if possible to get the best answer.

Do I need personal insurance when flying the m600 even if the company is insured due to it being registered under my 107?

Here's a webinar we did last night about insurance:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Kara Murphy
The owner has to register the aircraft, not the pilot. Think Delta Airlines.

SB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen