550 Pilot's lounge

Thanks for the reply about the BEC's...

I need to know which set of screws I need for the top plate of my f550...

Do I need to get M3X8's... or M2.5X5's...???

PJA said:
Thanks for the reply about the BEC's...

I need to know which set of screws I need for the top plate of my f550...

Do I need to get M3X8's... or M2.5X5's...???
M3 X 8 are too big. It should be the M2.5 X 5's. I actually use the M2.5 X 5s and slightly longer M2.5 X8 depending if it's the inner or outer holes o the top deck.

Is anyone else having difficulties viewing the forum on TapaTalk? It seems to have started for me about the same time they upgraded their servers.

FangsCPO said:
Is anyone else having difficulties viewing the forum on TapaTalk? It seems to have started for me about the same time they upgraded their servers.
Yep, but tapatalk support should be working as of two hours ago from this post. That's when it started working for me, and I'm responding to you on tapatalk right now :)

Just received my slip-on ND filter for my GoPro from RageCams. It is very lightweight (they claim it's .2 grams) and I'm going to try it first without any counterbalance and see if it has any negative effects on my H3-2D. Seems pretty cheaply made for $31 + $10 for shipping... but if it works and doesn't burn up my Zenmuse then it will be worth it. Will report back once I have some flight time with it... filming in bright sunlight WON'T be an issue 'round these parts... been 95+ and clear all week!

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Just received my slip-on ND filter for my GoPro from RageCams. It is very lightweight (they claim it's .2 grams) and I'm going to try it first without any counterbalance and see if it has any negative effects on my H3-2D. Seems pretty cheaply made for $31 + $10 for shipping... but if it works and doesn't burn up my Zenmuse then it will be worth it. Will report back once I have some flight time with it... filming in bright sunlight WON'T be an issue 'round these parts... been 95+ and clear all week!

U.M.

If 0.2g craps out the H3-2D you'd better not fly in ANY wind at all :) I'm sure it'll be great, looking forward to your results and videos!

My wife recently gave me a HERO3+ for father's day. I gotta say, the video looks alot more clearer than the HERO3....then again my HERO3 did spend 2 days underwater. :lol: The light sensitity is much better on the 3+. I looking forward to the report on the ND filer. I'd definitely would like to get that on my HERO3+.

ENGINES....
Ok-as some of you know, I'm still researching which engines to get for my big F800. OI has recommended a couple, and I'm looking at those 2, plus a 3rd.
Some thing's I've discovered, that I didn't know before-the engine numbers; say 2214; the first number is the stator size in mm, and the second number is the shaft length, also in mm.

Now I'm no electrician-in fact, I'm banned from playing with electricity(long story-didn't end well). But-the way I understand it, the bigger stator, will provide more power.....but, it will also require more power.
So, while a 22 sized stator is fine for 10" and below props running 3S-when you move up to 11" and higher props, or 4S, you are past what the stator can deliver, power wise.

Also, there is the KV rating. From what I undestand, this is the RPM per Kilo Volt that the engine will rotate at 100%(still not sure of this). So, I have an engine that has a 22mm stator, running 3S, and 11X5 props. which means-my engines are over-propped and maxed out at 1400KV.

Ol recommended 2...one of those 2, had a 28mm stator and the other a 35mm stator. Both. were 700KV.

Now remember-we're talking going to 4S-more voltage will spin the motors faster....?
I believe Ol has the 2814-11 700KV motors...but, recommended the larger stator 3508-16 700KV. Both are out of stock everywhere.....
So, then I started thinking(always a dangerous thing). Why not stay with the 28mm stator, but go with a higher KV rating?
And I found these;
http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v2814-10-800kv-brushless-motor.html
And, they're in stock.
Keep in mind-I would prefer to run the 11X5 E-Graup props I have. I know I can go up to 12"-or higher. But, that creates issues I don't want to deal with.

So-for you engine experts out there...what to you think? Would you go with the higher KV rating and stay with the smaller stator-28mm? Or, would you go with the big Pancake motor-the 3508? Bigger stator I believe would like more electricity...but, it may be more efficient??

I realize there isn't a 1 size fits all solution to my problem. I'm at AUW near 2800 grams. I would be over 3100 if I put the retracts back on. I want to hover at 50% or less power-and, I'd like to have flight times over 10 minutes(want cake-and want to eat it).
So-what direction do you guys think I should go? Bigger stator motors...OR; "dude, you're just going to have to run 12" props anyways-just pick one".

"dude, you're just going to have to run 12" props anyways-just pick one".

Propellers are generally tuned for their expected purpose. Running one twice as fast won't get you double of anything other than trouble.

Every component of the drive system is a player. You can't just arbitrarily double one component and expect the others to fall in line. When you have multiple dependent variables, you have to carefully balance things and one way to do that is to look at the prepared charts. You could figure it out yourself but it would make you ugly.

ladykate said:
"dude, you're just going to have to run 12" props anyways-just pick one".

Propellers are generally tuned for their expected purpose. Running one twice as fast won't get you double of anything other than trouble.

Every component of the drive system is a player. You can't just arbitrarily double one component and expect the others to fall in line. When you have multiple dependent variables, you have to carefully balance things and one way to do that is to look at the prepared charts. You could figure it out yourself but it would make you ugly.
I've looked at the charts. And-what I see from the same 3 motors, is 1600 gr lift, per axis, at 100%-on 4S.
So-for me at least, this is a learning process.....and, I will figure it out.

Some of you already have-that's why I'm here; to learn. As for props-I like running the 11X5 E-graups-nice and stiff, good for A/P. But-I'm spinning them as fast as they can go-I think.
So-I think I need bigger motors, 4S, and bigger props.
I'm thinking that with bigger props-I won't need to turn them as fast-at least that's what the charts and E-calc are showing.

So-I'm just curious what others are running? Besides the stock 2214-920kv(I think that's the stock motor).....

And, I know I can figure this out on my own....pretty much already have something in mind. But-it never hurts to get opinions from those that have already gone down this road before........nothing ugly about that ;)

havasuphoto said:
ladykate said:
Thanks. I already have Simon K 30A ESC's....I think those should work with the above.
Question; would the bigger props make the aircraft handle worse in the wind?

Well... they have more area but can't compare them in isolation (remember - many variables! - smaller props mean less power, less flight time in some cases, etc). The overall controllability and stability is great. I use them on my 800 and it takes the wind very well (much better than a Phantom). You have lots of power and the NAZA (or whatever controller) doesn't have to work hard to keep it steady. You would have great lifting and good flight times. I can get 15 minutes from my setup - all day long. I use 10 amp 6s batteries. The battery alone weighs 900 grams so the whole bird has mass which, given all other parameters set correctly, equals more stability. That is why bigger birds are more stable.

Yep, beyond the magic in the FC the aircraft's stability in wind is most directly tied to these 3 factors:

-Total weight
-Thrust produced
-Airframe diameter (i.e. 800mm, 910mm...the broader the better)

On smaller birds like the Phantom you have to deal with the wind actually tossing the aircraft itself around (in addition to how it can disrupt the airflow off the props), but with bigger/heavier frames that's less of an issue.

OI Photography said:
Yep, beyond the magic in the FC the aircraft's stability in wind is most directly tied to these 3 factors:

-Total weight
-Thrust produced
-Airframe diameter (i.e. 800mm, 910mm...the broader the better)

On smaller birds like the Phantom you have to deal with the wind actually tossing the aircraft itself around (in addition to how it can disrupt the airflow off the props), but with bigger/heavier frames that's less of an issue.
Yea-had to cancel filming an event Today because the wind gust got over 20mph-past my comfort zone.
And-my F800 wasn't up to the job, yet. So, typical weather in June for Lake Havasu-112 deg's, and gusty winds out of the South-just about every day!!!
Take Two is Tomorrow-forecast for more of the same. But-gonna try and put the P2 up anyways. I've flown in winds like this before with the P1. It didn't handle very well-but the P2 is a bit heavier.

I've flown the F800 in similar conditions, and it was rock stable. Wasn't moving at all.
So-maybe I ought to just go big(15" 6S 10K's),call it good-and start dialing things in. I can always add weight(retracts-lightbridge).
Question; @LK-those props you showed; just how balanced were they when you got them? I noticed the 3 hole mounting system.....are there a lot of other 15" props that use that system, with those motors you listed? And-looking at the charts, I don't see any need to go with a bigger ESC than 30amp....so I think my Simon K's would get the job done?
Caveat-I'm not doing the soldering/install. I have a guy that's a lot smarter than me on these aircraft-he knows what he's doing, so I trust him to do the set-up. Also-he's building an F800, just like mine.....
Also-I'm using Naza..if it matters.

havasuphoto said:
Question; @LK-those props you showed; just how balanced were they when you got them? I noticed the 3 hole mounting system.....are there a lot of other 15" props that use that system, with those motors you listed? And-looking at the charts, I don't see any need to go with a bigger ESC than 30amp....so I think my Simon K's would get the job done?

They are carbon and sharp as hell. Yes, they all seem balanced. I've gone through three or four in testing and the props haven't been an issue. Make sure you order the MKII version. There are other 1555s out there but they are not as quiet. I have a set of straight 1555 and am thinking about turning them into weed eaters. ;-}

The SimonK ESC should work fine.

The mounting system is somewhat common. It looks kinda funky when you see it on the webpage but it is quite easy to use. I put Loctite on the screws (I put Loctite on ALL screws now).

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

They are carbon and sharp as hell. Yes, they all seem balanced. I've gone through three or four in testing and the props haven't been an issue. Make sure you order the MKII version. There are other 1555s out there but they are not as quiet. I have a set of straight 1555 and am thinking about turning them into weed eaters. ;-}

The SimonK ESC should work fine.

The mounting system is somewhat common. It looks kinda funky when you see it on the webpage but it is quite easy to use. I put Loctite on the screws (I put Loctite on ALL screws now).
That sounds like a good idea. Currently have 3 reversed-thread prop holders-so all mine are self-tightening. Wish they made some reverse thread tops for the bigger engines. But-I think most of them have nylock lock nuts anyways-and some blue loctite should do the trick?
What's the difference in the MKII versions?
Also-is this the setup you flew here(lake havasu)? OT: I've discovered this whole area is flooded with "air-wave" band RF stuff.....so, next Feb, bring a VTX that's non-airwave band(like 5705ghz works best out there....was at the same spot as you-and got well over 1000M not problems. Tried AW band-got 100M).

Which 6S 10K batteries are you using? And-since XT-60 is only good for ? don't remember voltage-which connectors do you use?
I think with 6S10K and 15"...my flight times should be well into the 15 minute range, at 3000+ grams...I can even put the retracts back on!!

NM-checked the ESC and they're "auto" 2S-6S, just like all the rest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Protocloudtechnologies