zenmuse weight limit

Reaction score
hi, what is the weight limit on after market glass for the go pro? is that 50mm lens by rage too bulky for the zenmuse gimbal to handle?
there must be a center of gravity issue i presume. i considered adding extra weight to the back of the camera to help the gimbal balance but more weight is never a good thing!

Well, according to DJI, the weight limit is zero. You may not add anything to the GoPro. In theory you're right that you could attempt to add a small counterweight to maintain balance, but that of course would void your warranty.

Reweight limit

The zenmuse is designed from the outset to carry the GoPro on a DJI Phantom. Without some serious redesign and rebuilding on the most fundamental level it will do nothing else. Have a look at some pictures and you will see how the mounting is tailored to the gopro.
A 50mm lens is SLR territory. And while a Phantom may lift a very small DSLR , I wouldn't want to try to control it. And a DSLR would definitely not fit on a Zenmuse.

What you want is a bigger copter with more power and a bigger gimbal with more power, holding capacity etc.

try an S800 for starters.

Re: Reweight limit

I assume the OP is talking about the "50MM Lens Kit for hero2 hero1 hero3 black (7.8 degree FOV)" from Rage, having nothing to do with DSLRs. A 50mm lens can be used on a small sensor camera, where it will be the equivalent of a long tele. In this case, something like a 300-400 mm lens on a full frame 35mm (D)SLR.

50mmgplens.jpg

50mmgplens2.jpg

Still even this "tiny" lens on an H3 would not work with the Zen H3-2D. The issues are both weight and balance. The GoPro Zen is very much dedicated to the H3/H3+ in unmodified form. Adding just a very light filter (ND for example) or lens protector to an otherwise stock H3 has been reported to cause problems (ymmv). There's no way the 50mm Rage lens would balance, and its physical size is also problematic. If you want that lens, go with a servo based gimbal, or with a passive GoPro mount with built-in dampers/isolators. Be aware that such a long focal length will result in very poor video quality due to such high magnification at the sensor plane.

Steve

timholyoake said:
The zenmuse is designed from the outset to carry the GoPro on a DJI Phantom. Without some serious redesign and rebuilding on the most fundamental level it will do nothing else. Have a look at some pictures and you will see how the mounting is tailored to the gopro.
A 50mm lens is SLR territory. And while a Phantom may lift a very small DSLR , I wouldn't want to try to control it. And a DSLR would definitely not fit on a Zenmuse.

What you want is a bigger copter with more power and a bigger gimbal with more power, holding capacity etc.

try an S800 for starters.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20