Zenmuse / Upgrade Kit Board / Video out to TX - Help!!!

Reaction score
Hi Guys (and Gals in the interest of being PC :D )

I have fitted the Phantom Upgrade Board and have the video out to TX lead. This has 3 wires: Yellow, Red & Brown.

I intend to connect it to an Immersion TX so that I can view the framed shot on a GoPro on the Zenmuse Gimbal.

The Immersion only requires two of the leads. Am I correct in thinking that the Red Wire is not used? Which way round do the Yellow and Brown Wires connect on the Immersion plug? I am sure I read it somewhere but I can't find the Thread.

Cheers

Ali

Thanks.

Can anyone answer the following:

The plug the Immersion TX comes with has 5 wires out: Red, Black, Yellow, White & Green.

I guess I can ignore the White & Green wires which are for Audio?

The Video Out on the Phantom Upgrade Board P330CB-H3-2D comes with a plug for the board with 3 wires out: Yellow, Red & Brown.

The Yellow & Brown wires from the Video Out appear to correspond to the Yellow and Black wires on the Immersion TX. It is the Red wire that is confusing me.

The Red wire on the Immersion TX appears to be a 5v out supply but the Red wire on the Video Out Lead from the P330CB-H3-2D states it is VCC

Being a complete numpty with these things, what is VCC anyway? Does it need to be connected to the TX? If so, where? If not, why not? The answer to the latter could be contained within the answer as to what VCC is.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It is much appreciated.

No guesswork is required. The TX has markings on it with description of the function of the wire.

You can ignore the green and white wires unless you plan on using any device that uses the audio channels for telemetry (i.e. EZOSD, Tiny Telemetry, etc.).

The VCC red wire ("Voltage at a Common Connector" or "Common Collector Voltage"... depends on who you ask) from the ImmersionRC transmitter is normally used to power a smaller button style FPV camera for other types of setups. This eliminates the need for a BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) board to power the 5-6VDC requirements of small cameras. The TX gets it's supply voltage from the separate power connector next to the video connector, and basically acts like a BEC for the connected camera if necessary.

Since you are using a Zenmuse, the red wires should not be used... from either the TX or the upgrade board. Definitely do NOT hook them together. If DJI has power coming out of the VCC line on the board then you would be hooking two power sources together = bad. They came out and said the red wire was no longer used, but I haven't hooked up a meter to the wire to see if they disabled it or just are not promoting it's use.

So your ImmersionRC TX should have power going to it from the small board normally supplied with the TXs (which is hooked up to your battery balance connector) or hooked directly to a power source from the battery. The old Phantom main board had the small grey/red wire which could have been used to power the TX. The new board does not have that wire, so you will have to connect a positive and negative lead to the battery joints or ESC joints if you don't plan on using the battery balance connector board. You can try to power the TX from the red wire off of the main board to see if it works, but without any specs published on the power supplied, I would be cautious.

Your A/V line to the transmitter can have only the yellow and black wire hooked up at the bare minimum.

Hopefully that helps.

Thank you kindly Sir.

I have a lead coming to connect the Immersion TX to the Battery Balance plug and have just connected yellow to yellow and black to brown on the Immersion plug.

glad i found this post. i have the upgrade board and was hoping to connect my vtx as well. i noticed the MC board has the VCC connections directly to it (supplying the ESCs). Is the VCC cable coming off the upgrade board any different from the VCC going to the ESCs? If not, wouldn't we be able to connect directly to it from our vtx?

I know others who have connected their vtx power by tapping into the ESC power from the original MC board.

thanks for any insight. just a newb trying to get some understanding/clarification.

I am going to piggyback on this post..

I want to connect a vtx to the 3 wire cable provided with the upgrade board, not use a separate battery. Am I correct that the red and brown wires would be power supply for the vtx (I measured 12.75v out from them), and yellow is video out?

From that..

Would I use the ground (brown) out from the upgrade board as the other wire to the video (in conjunction to the yellow), as well as the ground for power? In other words, the brown wire would supply power to the vtx, and also be connected to the video into the vtx?

And from that, if that is the case, would I need one of the filter units, or does the upgrade board have that built in (the one that provides clean voltage).

Edit: Using a Zenmuse gimbal/GoPro

You have the pinout correct; can't comment on how clean the voltage is from the upgrade board connector, but do not believe it is filtered. Even so, you might not have issues with your video; sometimes just wrapping your video lead through a ferrite ring a couple of times is enough to eliminate power interference.

But yes, yellow is your video signal wire and brown is the corresponding GND wire.

Hey guys! And what about AUDIO link from new upgrade kit board?? Nobody answered properly this! Could you please help me? Regards. Robert

rolrossi said:
Hey guys! And what about AUDIO link from new upgrade kit board?? Nobody answered properly this! Could you please help me? Regards. Robert

Audio is useless....

Oh well, so will FPV Phantom without sound? I know GoPro will provide a full quality recorded video + audio but to pilot without sound is not good...no motor noise, no winds, no low battery device noise, no people voices, animal sounds...

I cant't believe the only solution is AV cable plugged directly on GoPro when using Zenmuse. This is not good for the motors.
Somebody know if there is any other solution available for a quality sound with upgrade kit board + zenmuse?

Thank you
Robert

Maybe a nano microphone individual powered and connected to the TX...
I'm puzzled! How can DJI top systems manuals and enginneers have NO explanations about this??
Now, after install and test new upgrade board, I have an oppened Phantom and many doubts waiting about audio system...
:geek:

I had audio off of my TX directly from the GoPro on a previous servo based gimbal. To be honest, all you get is the motor noise which can be good or bad depending on your point of view. You can hear when the motors are stressing... really well... but then again, that's all you hear. So it can be a bit annoying to listen to.

That being said, it is very possible to add a nano/micro microphone to your Phantom given the small stature of the available microphones. One example:
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=438

These microphones are mono channel (not stereo), so you really only need to bring down the audio on one channel. If I were installing a mic on my Phantom, I would probably only use the left channel for the mic input. Since I have an OSD that uses the right channel for telemetry, using the right channel would add noise to the telemetry signal... so the left would be best for my setup.

So...for example, if you are using a Fatshark/ImmersionRC type TX, you can power and hookup the microphone from the TX itself. The audio out from the mic will hook into the left channel (white wire on FS/IRC TX supplied cable) and the ground and power can be supplied by the TX red and black wires (red wire=+5VDC out, black wire=ground) on the input cable (the one with 5 wires). You will probably need to split the black wire out for multiple ground wire requirements.

I would consider mounting the mic inside of the Phantom since wind noise will be a major problem outside of the shell.

Hopefully this helps.

cdshepp said:
I had audio off of my TX directly from the GoPro on a previous servo based gimbal. To be honest, all you get is the motor noise which can be good or bad depending on your point of view. You can hear when the motors are stressing... really well... but then again, that's all you hear. So it can be a bit annoying to listen to.

That being said, it is very possible to add a nano/micro microphone to your Phantom given the small stature of the available microphones. One example:
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=438

These microphones are mono channel (not stereo), so you really only need to bring down the audio on one channel. If I were installing a mic on my Phantom, I would probably only use the left channel for the mic input. Since I have an OSD that uses the right channel for telemetry, using the right channel would add noise to the telemetry signal... so the left would be best for my setup.

So...for example, if you are using a Fatshark/ImmersionRC type TX, you can power and hookup the microphone from the TX itself. The audio out from the mic will hook into the left channel (white wire on FS/IRC TX supplied cable) and the ground and power can be supplied by the TX red and black wires (red wire=+5VDC out, black wire=ground) on the input cable (the one with 5 wires). You will probably need to split the black wire out for multiple ground wire requirements.

I would consider mounting the mic inside of the Phantom since wind noise will be a major problem outside of the shell.

Hopefully this helps.

Great partner! Thank you very much for your explanation! This is exactly what I'm doing right now. About left audio, thanks, I had also this doubt.
My set up is Phantom V1, upgraded kit board + radio tilt, Zenmuse gimbal + GoPro3 black, 2x Phantom battery (on side CF plates), CF 9x4.7 propellers, T-motors 900Kv, IRC 600mW (TX utside on the CF plate) + bluebeam antenas set, nano microphone inside, battery volt alarm (set highter than NAZA).
AUW = 1305g
On your experience do you think I'll get more than 10 min with that much weight?
This config. will take off and land gently? :roll:

Regards
Robert

My setup is similar to yours, but not exact. I don't use 2 batteries, I don't have upgraded motors, my video TX is a 250Mw Fatshark and I don't have a mic or an alarm. I do use a single 2500mAh Hyperion battery, use 9 inch props and have an OSD. I currently get about 6-8 minutes of flight time depending on the wind.

So given my take-off weight of the Phantom is a little over 1250g and you are pushing 4400mAh for power, you may see 10+ minutes on a calm day. All I can positively say is you'll have to try it out to see what happens since there are so many factors on figuring flight time with these small platforms. Back when I experimented with dual batteries, I would get 10-12 minutes with the servo based gimbal and dual 2500mAh batteries.

I've found that the 9 inch props are much better with the heavier load for lift and performance. So I don't think you'll see too many problems with take-offs or landings. I tried Graupner 8x5's on my latest configuration and it wasn't pretty (bounced pretty hard on a landing... luckily on tall grass). So I would stick with the 9's.

It just dawned on me why you want the microphone... so you can have an audible alarm for low battery. Interesting. Hopefully the motor noise won't interfere with that. I don't think you will have much luck in the way of environment noises, but adding an audible low battery alarm for FPV makes perfect sense.

Good luck on your mods!

Chris

cdshepp said:
My setup is similar to yours, but not exact. I don't use 2 batteries, I don't have upgraded motors, my video TX is a 250Mw Fatshark and I don't have a mic or an alarm. I do use a single 2500mAh Hyperion battery, use 9 inch props and have an OSD. I currently get about 6-8 minutes of flight time depending on the wind.

So given my take-off weight of the Phantom is a little over 1250g and you are pushing 4400mAh for power, you may see 10+ minutes on a calm day. All I can positively say is you'll have to try it out to see what happens since there are so many factors on figuring flight time with these small platforms. Back when I experimented with dual batteries, I would get 10-12 minutes with the servo based gimbal and dual 2500mAh batteries.

I've found that the 9 inch props are much better with the heavier load for lift and performance. So I don't think you'll see too many problems with take-offs or landings. I tried Graupner 8x5's on my latest configuration and it wasn't pretty (bounced pretty hard on a landing... luckily on tall grass). So I would stick with the 9's.

It just dawned on me why you want the microphone... so you can have an audible alarm for low battery. Interesting. Hopefully the motor noise won't interfere with that. I don't think you will have much luck in the way of environment noises, but adding an audible low battery alarm for FPV makes perfect sense.

Good luck on your mods!

Chris

Now I must have something to say about sound inside Phantom...First, I have to thank you for the "interesting" about microphone listening alarm rsrs

I remember that I have an plane with a low voltage visual battery alarm on the hood...the same analogy...and it was perfect. But audible sound will be the first try. This small device also shows me individually the voltage on each cell before take off or after land.

On my setup I use the stock DJI transmitter that goes about 300mts range.
For me make no sense a OSD on my Phantom, because I still have LOS on max range.
That's is one of the reason I prefer the battery alarm cell on my ears rsrs

The second reason is that noisy sound from motors are like a roar of a motorcicle and if I get tired of that I just run by car... and on Phantom? I just take out earphone, at least on the beginning of flight. I do the same when editing the video.

Also when I show my wife piloting with that sound seems to be a great achievement! rsrs

I congrat you to be so skillful installing all of that inside a Phantom. This is really a challenge!

Regards
Robert

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik