Zenmuse H3-D2 GoPro Gimbal problems

Reaction score
Hey there.......

Getting my H3-D2 on Monday, and I'm curious as to how many out there have had good luck or troubles with their's........ Inquiring minds wants to know?

Thanks

Slugger

I have mine installed, and ready, but have not powered it on, due to the large number of problems.
I will wait, because at this point it's like destroying one on purpose, just to see if it will happen.
If DJI denies the problem exists, or doesn't come up with a firmware solution, then I'll turn it on and see what happens.

I bought two and installed both into Phantoms last Tuesday. I've also updated the Gimbal software to the latest release. About 20 flights on each. So far no issues. Let's hope it stays that way.

slugger said:
Hey there.......

Getting my H3-D2 on Monday, and I'm curious as to how many out there have had good luck or troubles with their's........ Inquiring minds wants to know?

Thanks

Slugger

So far so good! I installed mine today, however, I've only run it for 9 minutes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Best regards,

Todd

Audaciter said:
I have mine installed, and ready, but have not powered it on, due to the large number of problems.
I will wait, because at this point it's like destroying one on purpose, just to see if it will happen.
If DJI denies the problem exists, or doesn't come up with a firmware solution, then I'll turn it on and see what happens.

Ok, I finally got back to my home town since I've been on the road for the last month and talked to my dealer about all the problems that have been going on with the Zinmuse H3-2D.

This is what he told me:

First, please don't scream at me, Im just passing this on and it sounds pretty reasonable.

There where some firmware issues out there by DJI.
The new upgrade board that is coming out in the next few days, probably not in stores until the first week of August will solve many issues like weight issues and ease of install.
The PMU V2 thing was a temporary install for the folks that just had to get this operating in their phantom.
The new upgrade board comes with the slider for tilt.

So, he had my Zenmuse in ready for install but suggested that I wait until the whole package is in. That is what Im going to do.

Now, Im not a hobbyist and plan on my dealer keeping me up and running but Im sure many of you are so you like to install things. Im going to wait until the whole package is in and ready to go.
If I have issues then, I will get back with my dealer and he can sort it out.

My 2cents, which could be worth absolutely nothing.

That new board will be anything but plug and play.....You will have to unsolder all of your esc's from the old board, then
solder them to the new board. Take the Naza off the old board, and install it facing the correct way.
Disconnect the PMU V2, reconnect all wires to their correct locations, without making a mistake.

I'm glad they are coming out with the board, because there really was not enough room inside the Phantom's shell for
the addition of the GCU V1, and PMU V2 both. Unless you did something drastic, like this.........

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,258
Yeah, I don't know what DJI is trying to pull with the upgrade board. Is that supposed to be their answer to all the critics calling them out for saying the H3-2D is "plug and play"? :lol:

Okay, instead of opening up your Phantom and soldering 4 wires to install the GCU/PMUV2, now you'll be doing the same, in addition to un-soldering and re-soldering all 8 wires of your ESCs, and disconnecting then reconnecting everything else mounted on your MAIN board including remounting the NAZA itself in the correct orientation. I guess this is even MORE "plug and play" than their last solution?

This is like replacing the entire motherboard in your PC in order to put in a new hard drive and a stick of RAM.

Possibly some weight savings, but doesn't seem like a whole lot. If it eliminates both the PMU V2 and the GCU, that's a couple grams I guess. And from what I can tell, you give up the CAN bus expansion capability that comes with the PMU V2 unit when you go with the board.

003-500x500.jpg

From left to right in the picture, it looks like there's the main power cables to the battery, then the 6-pin connector for video out, the cable from the onboard PMU to the NAZA, the cable for GPS to the onboard PMU, and then a wide connector that looks like you plug the gimbal ribbon cable straight in to. If that's so, then it seems like the GCU may also be integrated onboard, so the GCU that comes with the gimbal isn't used. Or at least if they want to keep the main gimbal installation solder free that's the only way to do it (besides soldering the ESCs to the new main board).

Maybe this has been addressed. Is there any total weight savings to be had by going with the new board?

Yes, your wallet will be lighter, and the Phantom too. ;)

It looks to me like the PMU V2, and probably the GCU V1 modules will go away, and a new LED/Versatile Unit that can
communicate with both the Zenmuse gimbal, and Phantom's Naza controller, will be implemented with the new Main Board.

So yes, with the 2 modules gone, there will be a weight savings.

first phantom flew off out of control...
got a new one (and a new gopro with custom lens and a transmitter)
Had the zenmuse gimle installed by dronefly.com
5 flights in it went limp and stopped working (I've read that the same has happened to many people - the above described fly away has also happened to many people).

I'm starting to realize that this DJI gear is garbage.

I wonder if that custom lens changed the weight distribution on your Gopro. That might be enough to send the Zenmuse into hibernation mode. The gimbal is very sensitive in this regard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj