YUNEEC Q500

Reaction score
I just got my PV+ BACK In NOV2014....haven't flown it yet because its winter here and cold....looking forward to Spring so i can enjoy flying it.in the mean time i`m learning all i can about it and have everything on the market to protect it.....i was just on you tube and found there's another drones that a little cheaper (and they say better )and comes with all the extra junk i brought (or doesn't need it).....does anyone my any comments on the YUNEEC Q500 other then its alot larger.

It looks really cool. I've seen a few review videos on demunseed channel. This one is the unboxing and first flight review. He has some others as well including one on camera comparison with DJI Quads
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LUERDzV6q4[/youtube]

knuckles said:
It looks really cool. I've seen a few review videos on demunseed channel. This one is the unboxing and first flight review. He has some others as well including one on camera comparison with DJI Quads
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LUERDzV6q4[/youtube]

This is FPV, correct???

-slinger

I'm getting even more interested... The "rabbit" mode on this quad makes it much faster than the P2V+, not that I really care about that... But... in "tortoise" mode it is so rock solid in the air... Check out this vid. Very impressive... IMHO...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ClHsbfPP0[/youtube]

-slinger

StorminD said:
I just got my PV+ BACK In NOV2014....haven't flown it yet because its winter here and cold....looking forward to Spring so i can enjoy flying it.in the mean time i`m learning all i can about it and have everything on the market to protect it.....i was just on you tube and found there's another drones that a little cheaper (and they say better )and comes with all the extra junk i brought (or doesn't need it).....does anyone my any comments on the YUNEEC Q500 other then its alot larger.

Ship it to me and I'll fly it until it warms up there. :)

PhantomFanatic said:
StorminD said:

Ship it to me and I'll fly it until it warms up there. :)

Whatta guy... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

Another, cheaper option is the Ares Ethos FPV for $299

Compared to the Q500, that is.

DJI started it with the Vision series and I like where some of these makers are going with integrated aerial cameras.
The era of carrying a heavy "on-the-ground" camera in the air was just an early evolutionary phase.

There are suggestions that Yuneec are bringing out a 4K camera for the Q500 later this year.
I'll definitely be interested to see how that performs for stills.
The other good thing about the Q500 is that it comes in under 2 kg so will be suitable for unlicensed commercial use in those enlightened countries going that way. The Inspire is too heavy for that.
https://store.yuneec.com/as/q500-typhoon.html?___store=yuneec_as&___from_store=yuneec_as

They have had one at UAV Direct for about 2 months. I have been waiting to see them fly it.

Hi Guys. I'm trying to decide between the Phantom or the new Yuneec Q500. For me video quality is the biggest question. I can't decide which machine gives better video images. The Q500 video output looks too warm (yellow) for the whites and seems not to have very good dynamic range i.e. the low level lightt areas seem to go too dark snd the high lights burn out. But that might simply be fixable in post production. Anyone else done any detailed comparisons. I've seen Demunseed's comparison but he didn't compare exactly the same scene for each camera so variations in shot disguish any differences. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Check out the english FB page or the rcgroups forum for the latest info. According to email I got from Yuneec the 4k camera and a TX with a larger screen will be out in April/May. Their current promotion is a free 2nd battery and handheld device for the gimbal. A dealer of both told me that the Q500 is outselling the P2V+ by 14 to 1. The company is very responsive via phone and email and has a rep on the rcgroups forum answering questions frequently. Pretty much everyone who has one talks about how stable the quad and video footage is. It has follow-me, which has been a little of a blessing and a curse for some. Haven't been able to find anyone who has taken one on a plane yet. Even with the 13" props off it is bigger in every dimension than is allowed for carryons so once it is put in a backpack/case...

I'm hoping DJI can upgrade the camera firmware to record 1080p 60fps as this already has.

woobisah said:
I'm hoping DJI can upgrade the camera firmware to record 1080p 60fps as this already has.

Bo Lorentzen has questioned whether that's what it really is. He did a comparison with the GoPro Hero and showed how details in the Q500 video had "stepping" instead of smooth lines like the GoPro. The speculation is that the Q500 is doing digital stabilization that creates a 720p result that "is rezzed up to 1080" and that was confirmed by MattK. Let me go ahead and tell you I know nothing of the technical details that generated that statement. You can find Bo's FP post where he shows the side by side comparison and discusses it.

Okay, I know this isn't a Q500 forum and I'll stop posting about it. :D

My first impression is cheap knockoff with an ugly remote. I can't bear watching the compass calibration part.

gunslinger said:
I'm getting even more interested... The "rabbit" mode on this quad makes it much faster than the P2V+, not that I really care about that... But... in "tortoise" mode it is so rock solid in the air...

Slinger
With the dial at full "rabbit" (and set to GPS enabled "Angle Mode"), my Vision will fly circles around it. The Q500 tops out at 15mph at best!
It is, however, quite nimble when GPS is disabled. For me, "tortoise" is rarely used as it's WAY to relaxed.

gunslinger said:
I'm getting even more interested... The "rabbit" mode on this quad makes it much faster than the P2V+, not that I really care about that... But... in "tortoise" mode it is so rock solid in the air... Check out this vid. Very impressive... IMHO...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ClHsbfPP0[/youtube]

-slinger

I thought you were waiting for the Hobbico Ora! This is less expensive, but in love with the Ora, if that is the finished product that I saw.

Simon said:
Hi Guys. I'm trying to decide between the Phantom or the new Yuneec Q500. For me video quality is the biggest question. I can't decide which machine gives better video images. The Q500 video output looks too warm (yellow) for the whites and seems not to have very good dynamic range i.e. the low level lightt areas seem to go too dark snd the high lights burn out. But that might simply be fixable in post production. Anyone else done any detailed comparisons. I've seen Demunseed's comparison but he didn't compare exactly the same scene for each camera so variations in shot disguish any differences. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I went for the P2V+ instead, watched a ton of videos and the camera on Q-500 sucks.
Also the quad itself and the remote "feels" more like a toy from what I´ve read?
Q-500 has a built in FPV, sure you need a phone or a tablet for the Phantom.
But if you wanna upgrade from the standard FPV on Q-500?

Also the Phantom has been on the market some years now, Q-500 is new, so all the problems that new electronics bring with them hasn´t shown yet.
And also the Phantom has ton of extras like bags, stickers, mods etc that you can buy / do.

Here´s a good comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYPX4RX2vw

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl