YouTube weirdness

Reaction score
I uploaded a video 5 days ago from my Green River Wyoming trip a couple weeks ago and after 5 days the video was still not available in 4K as it was uploaded. I message them about 3 days ago but no help. So, I deleted the video and re-uploaded it and within 2 hours it was available in 4K. I've had it take over 2 days before but never 5 days.

Brian

Pretty cool! I like the ice floating down the river too! I wonder if there was an issue with the original upload, definitely shouldn't take long to process, it is an almost 10 minute video though, the 2 hour time frame seems about right.

Pretty cool! I like the ice floating down the river too! I wonder if there was an issue with the original upload, definitely shouldn't take long to process, it is an almost 10 minute video though, the 2 hour time frame seems about right.

I've uploaded about 80 videos in the last couple years to YouTube and about half of them, maybe more, are 4K videos so I have some experience. Most of the time when I upload a 4K video it takes about 6 hours or so before it's available in 4K, but I have had several videos that took a couple days to reach the 4K level. This video here is the first one that took more than a couple days and it was only after 5 days that I deleted and re-uploaded.

Also, I uploaded another 4K video that was even longer at over 50 minutes beginning late last night and when I checked this morning it was already available in 4K. So, it appears this is something of a crap shoot.

Brian

I've uploaded about 80 videos in the last couple years to YouTube and about half of them, maybe more, are 4K videos so I have some experience. Most of the time when I upload a 4K video it takes about 6 hours or so before it's available in 4K, but I have had several videos that took a couple days to reach the 4K level. This video here is the first one that took more than a couple days and it was only after 5 days that I deleted and re-uploaded.

Also, I uploaded another 4K video that was even longer at over 50 minutes beginning late last night and when I checked this morning it was already available in 4K. So, it appears this is something of a crap shoot.

Brian
Yeah, most likely has to do with server load.

The other problem I've just started getting in the last week or so is several of my videos from Green River Wyoming being flagged as inappropriate for advertisers. WTF, how is that even possible -- none of these videos are even remotely controversial and are about as innocuous as can be. There's no sex or politics or harassment of others or anything else that could trigger someone so I have to ask why are they doing this. The videos that have been flagged are:

UP Train by Drone in 4K

UP trains at Bridge over the Green River in 4K

and this one

UP Trains at Bryan WY in 4K by drone

I can't for the life of me see how anyone or any bot could see these videos as inappropriate in any way for anyone at any time. Two are using a drone the other a Panasonic G85 camera so that can't be it. All the videos contain the name "UP Trains" but how is that an issue? Odd...

Brian

You tube gets a lil funky sometimes. Dispute the claim and you should be good.

You tube gets a lil funky sometimes. Dispute the claim and you should be good.

Yes, I've disputed this all three times and they've corrected the problem within one day so hopefully that will be the case with this latest video. I find it odd though that this is something new for me as I've only ever had one other video flagged this way and that was a video about 911 so I can understand that one. These three, occurring in just a week and with three of the last six videos I've uploaded just doesn't make any sense. I'm guess that some bot or automation is doing it but I can't figure out if it's something about the name, the description, or something in the video itself and YouTube will offer no guidance whatever.

Brian

Last edited:
Yes, I've disputed this all three times and they've corrected the problem within one day so hopefully that will be the case with this latest video. I find it odd though that this is something new for me as I've only ever had one other video flagged this way and that was a video about 911 so I can understand that one. These three, occurring in just a week and with three of the last six videos I've uploaded just doesn't make any sense. I'm guess that some bot or automation is doing it but I can't figure out if it's something about the name, the description, or something in the video itself and YouTube will off no guidance whatever.

Brian

All of the screening is done by AI. I believe YT gets 300 hours of content every minute so its impossible for any amount of humans to screen it. The only way to get a human to screen the content is to dispute, after you've been denied. This is a huge problem right now for the big timers:) Ive had to dispute close to 1/3 of my uploads for copyright issues. Ive won every dispute except the last one which has me puzzled, but if I dispute a second time and loose Ill get a mark against my channel. I rather leave it alone and focus on the next.

All of the screening is done by AI. I believe YT gets 300 hours of content every minute so its impossible for any amount of humans to screen it. The only way to get a human to screen the content is to dispute, after you've been denied. This is a huge problem right now for the big timers:) Ive had to dispute close to 1/3 of my uploads for copyright issues. Ive won every dispute except the last one which has me puzzled, but if I dispute a second time and loose Ill get a mark against my channel. I rather leave it alone and focus on the next.

Well, technically, they could have human screener's review all uploads but they'd need several million reviewers to do so and that's obviously not practical. I suspect that something related to the Russian meddling probe and the inaction by Twitter, Facebook and YT to do anything about it has them scrambling and going too far in some areas and not far enough in others. But, that doesn't change my puzzlement at how my videos were flagged -- they're 100% my content, no music to cause suspicion, and nothing that anyone could call argumentative, abusive or impolite. I just don't get it...

Brian

Whats the Russian meddling probe about? I know FB doesn't like YT, thats been known for a while. Stupid politics:)

Whats the Russian meddling probe about? I know FB doesn't like YT, thats been known for a while. Stupid politics:)

If you've been following the news you would know that Facebook, Twitter and Google were called into Congress to explain there role in failing to stop the Russian troll activity during the election. All three companies admitted they'd dropped the ball and promised to to better. I suspect that some of the AI that's flagging stuff as inappropriate is as a consequence of there effort to automatically stop the trolling activity. But, peruse any YT video dealing with military or space hardware and it's not hard to see continuing trolling activity by are friends from St Petersburg and elsewhere to spread disinformation and sow discontent. So, FB, Twit and YT are still way behind the troll farms and are constantly tweaking things, often with bad consequences. Now I don't know that has anything to do with my videos being flagged, I can't see anything that would trigger them to flag it. You have to hand it to the Russians -- they have a century of being the premiere purveyors of information warfare and were quick to recognize the power that social media could provide them in amplifying what they had already been doing for a hundred years.

Brian

Reactions: KentA
If you've been following the news you would know that Facebook, Twitter and Google were called into Congress to explain there role in failing to stop the Russian troll activity during the election. All three companies admitted they'd dropped the ball and promised to to better. I suspect that some of the AI that's flagging stuff as inappropriate is as a consequence of there effort to automatically stop the trolling activity. But, peruse any YT video dealing with military or space hardware and it's not hard to see continuing trolling activity by are friends from St Petersburg and elsewhere to spread disinformation and sow discontent. So, FB, Twit and YT are still way behind the troll farms and are constantly tweaking things, often with bad consequences. Now I don't know that has anything to do with my videos being flagged, I can't see anything that would trigger them to flag it. You have to hand it to the Russians -- they have a century of being the premiere purveyors of information warfare and were quick to recognize the power that social media could provide them in amplifying what they had already been doing for a hundred years.

Brian

Ahh. Ok Makes sense.

I don't watch the news or follow it. I'll sometimes catch something on YT that is new related. Other than that, I feel the news is strictly propaganda fueled by the government to keep us living in fear. But thats just my opinion.

Cool vids BTW.

Well, as much as I complain about YT for flagging three of my videos in the last week I have to also applaud them for fixing the problem within one day in all three cases. I just checked the video I'd uploaded a couple days ago and noticed was flagged yesterday and as of sometime today the problem has been corrected.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik