Youtube uploads. 4k what format.

Reaction score
I did a 4k video of my flight. Spent HOURS uploading it to Youtube. The quality was awful. Now I have seen enough 4K videos on Youtube from fellow members so I know it can be done really well with good quality. So come on guys what is the secret. What format do you film and post into Youtube?

Thanks. :)

Sorry its available NOW, just knowing how to do it. Turns out its 30fps is the clue. Got to go out now but will post a video later. :)
Not really, bitrate is the main thing you need be aware of.
It sounds like your file size was quite large though which suggests it was high enough with this video.
You can upload the original but once you start editing the rendering of the changed file at the end can mess things up.

Ok back from walk, well flying actually ;)

This is the video I was referring to. It seems to make sense. But then again what do I know? :)
He only says that uploading 60fps at 4K won't be accepted so they downsized it,.
The Phantom only does up to 30fps at 4K anyway.
30fps is probably best choice, but the 24/25 options would work too.

If I may ask a question here, If you upload a 4K video
and YouTube allows it to play in 4K
What quality level (780/ 1080p) am I seeing on my computer monitor if its not a 4K monitor?

Hope that makes some sense
Technically a 1080p/720p monitor can't properly show 4K, or even the 2.7K at 1440p, but in most cases it looks distinctly better - you only need try for yourself.
For a start the higher resolution will be downloading at higher bitrate - basically more information in every frame - and even at 1080p this is going to look better.

Reactions: snerd
Technically a 1080p/720p monitor can't properly show 4K, or even the 2.7K at 1440p, but in most cases it looks distinctly better - you only need try for yourself.
For a start the higher resolution will be downloading at higher bitrate - basically more information in every frame - and even at 1080p this is going to look better.
I agree. But no matter what I film in and post to Youtube it takes serious time to upload and even a 25fps its pretty awful. Just wondering if its my camera.

Whilst we are on this subject what causes the jerky movements in the playback? Is it my monitor or the actual film itself? Its better when I go out of 4k but I still dont get a smooth replay.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the apparent quality of the youtube video also depends at least partially on your internet speed. If you have a slow download speed, then youtube will show you a reduced quality video in order so that it doesn't play intermittently.

Also, if you've just uploaded a video and you've finished the upload and it's done processing and you watch it right away, it will likely be very blurry. It still takes a little while for them to process it to the point where it's sharp, even if the message you see is that it's ready to watch.

Yes, but the videos I watch done in 4k on youtube look superb. Ok I am not seeing it in 4k just the quality is so much better.

I have a new tablet coming sometime this week. It has the graphics card, memory etc to handle 4k well. Will be very interesting to see how it fairs on that machine. :) will keep you posted.

Just been looking at the footage above in more detail. He runs it at faster than normal speed. If you click on the cog wheel bottom right of the screen you will see he is also running at 720p not the 2160p full 4k. Just HD, still looks good though.

skip to 1:26

now compare this to 480p non HD, not just the same is it? A lesson here I think.

Last edited:
Just been looking at the footage above in more detail. He runs it at faster than normal speed. If you click on the cog wheel bottom right of the screen you will see he is also running at 720p not the 2160p full 4k. Just HD, still looks good though.
That's just your own settings, it's a full 4K upload and has had a lot of colour grading work.
The uploader can't do anything about the speed it plays.
Does your own 4K upload only play at 720p for you?

A lot has to do with camera settings, post color grading in your video editor, using ND filters during daytime to keep the shutter speed slow enough to introduce a tiny bit of motion blur (which is generally good for video, but not for stills), etc. the really good looking stuff that you see is not straight out of the camera, but is shot with the intention of serious post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: 4wd
Hmmm shutter speed. That would make sense. Trouble is if you lower the shutter speed you will have to increase............. this is where my memory fails. :) Aperture ! Someone finish this for me please.

I shall have a go with my camera tomorrow and see what I can come up with. As for playback speed thats easy enough in editing software.

It's a fixed aperture camera. Thus you need ND filters to darken things up, causing the shutter speed to lengthen.

You want some motion blur. It makes for smoother, more fluid video. Thus, the rule of thumb is to try to get the shutter speed to be double the frame rate. So if shooting at 25 frames per second, the target shutter speed is 1/50th per second. If it is too fast, say 1/250 or 1/500, you get a series of very sharp frames, which gives the video an unrealistic, stuttering quality. Now, if your intention is to take screen grabs of individual frames, then motion blur is bad. If you want stills, shoot stills. For video, you want a little blur.

Here is a pretty informative read on the subject with some good example shots:
Frame Rate Vs. Shutter Speed - Setting The Record Straight

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie