Your thoughts on this pc for 4k editig

Reaction score
Hi, its time for a pc upgrade to handle 4k editing can the 'tech heads' take a look at this for me and let me know if it looks ok for 4k editing? I think its ok but its a big spend and want to be sure :)

and its on this motherboard
  • Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3-EU Motherboard

Cheers
Jim.
4k machine.jpg

Hi, its time for a pc upgrade to handle 4k editing can the 'tech heads' take a look at this for me and let me know if it looks ok for 4k editing? I think its ok but its a big spend and want to be sure :)

and its on this motherboard
  • Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3-EU Motherboard

Cheers
Jim.View attachment 83869
HI everyone I have a Mavic pro And I seem to have a lot of problems with it. It will not collaborate I think I might of messed it up. PLEASE can anyone help.

What editing software will you be running with? Compatibility in parts matters quite a bit in overall performance. You can beef up the components all you like, but if the parts aren't compatible with the software you plan on editing with, a lot of performance will be lost. Make sure you take this into consideration. Because the biggest isnt always the best, or most efficient for your specific needs.

For example the build you put together is not recommended for Adobe Premiere Pro. Not that it won't work in permiere. But when you start to apply multiple transitions, or stabilizers, or color coding, etc the 'smooth' playback capabilities all the sudden become choppy, and require specific additional rendering. The i7 with a SSD and a gtx 1080 is top of the line and you would think it would laugh at that somewhat simple process. But because premiere doesn't reccommend using the 1080, it doesn't mesh well and you can run into issues.

As far as simple playback on very basic editing: I believe the system you put together will easily handle raw 4k smoothly in the timeline. But once those more advanced edits come into play, the system will still have some issues that will have you beating your head into a wall.

Ideally, id also reccommend going with the i7 7700k, because it is the same price as the 6700k. Also look to move up to 32gb of ram in the future, and additionally a 1T SSD minimum for handling 4k work flow daily.

Reactions: DevonDrone
What editing software will you be running with? Compatibility in parts matters quite a bit in overall performance. You can beef up the components all you like, but if the parts aren't compatible with the software you plan on editing with, a lot of performance will be lost. Make sure you take this into consideration. Because the biggest isnt always the best, or most efficient for your specific needs.

For example the build you put together is not recommended for Adobe Premiere Pro. Not that it won't work in permiere. But when you start to apply multiple transitions, or stabilizers, or color coding, etc the 'smooth' playback capabilities all the sudden become choppy, and require specific additional rendering. The i7 with a SSD and a gtx 1080 is top of the line and you would think it would laugh at that somewhat simple process. But because premiere doesn't reccommend using the 1080, it doesn't mesh well and you can run into issues.

As far as simple playback on very basic editing: I believe the system you put together will easily handle raw 4k smoothly in the timeline. But once those more advanced edits come into play, the system will still have some issues that will have you beating your head into a wall.

Ideally, id also reccommend going with the i7 7700k, because it is the same price as the 6700k. Also look to move up to 32gb of ram in the future, and additionally a 1T SSD minimum for handling 4k work flow daily.

Many thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the i7 7700k and adjusting my build over the last few days, all the comments here are so helpful and will guide to build the perfect rig :) , so if not the 1080 then what? 1070? :)

Still undecided, now looking at mac or macbook pro options :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl