Your Maximum Altitude

copysat said:
Guys don't get me wrong, i am FIXED WING PILOT and i know what i am doing, off course you have to put in mind wher to fly this much high, also you have to know or to use skyvector.com or aviation charts :cool:

Great info thank you, just had a look as i know my house is under a main flight path however some great spaces not far away so that will come in handy cheers

Check out my new profile picture. Grabbed it off the skyvector.com chart. Now if I can just get one put on the map over my house with a few thousand foot ceiling I'll have clear sailing! :D

Keep in mind the FAA advisory AC 91-571. PURPOSE. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages voluntary
compliance with, safety standards for model aircraft operators. It's just that an advisory not the law of the land
if you're flying for fun you can go as high and far as you want keeping in mind any problems you cause can be brought to court
but there is nothing that says you can not go over 400

Good sense says you cannot go over 400ft.

If you don't know where the airports are (including all those smaller circle-R private farm strips that just look like a pasture), if you don't know if you are in restricted airspace, if you don't know where a medical or police heliport is when you fly over it at the wrong time, if you don't know where a commercial flight path is where the traffic is going 600 mph, if you don't know you are in military airspace (MOA) potentially tangling with a new student flying a jet or a big chopper, then the fact that you think of 400 ft as "voluntary" is not going to keep you or anybody else out of trouble.

Staying under 400 ft is a good precaution and it makes good sense. Aircraft generally stays above 500 ft and that leaves 100 ft for error, and everybody stays safely out of each others' way. You don't know if you can get out of the way of a plane that suddenly appears going 150 mph at 3,500 ft while you're taking pretty pictures without an observer. Do you know what you should do in that situation? Do you know what the pilot will do?

Again, it's only a matter of time before a little quad at 5,000 ft for no good reason flying where it doesn't belong bashes through the windshield of a Cessna and it's all over for everybody, starting with the Cessna. That's what the pilots are worried about for good reason because they know the very real dangers a lot more than we do.

A lot of people have gotten into trouble doing things just because they could when they really shouldn't. What if somebody DIES because of your actions?

That's when it all stops being fun and "voluntary" starts sounding like a really good idea.

I agree 100% you should play it safe with a 400 ft ceiling but the odds of a bird strike, on numbers alone, are much higher for an aircraft than they will ever be with UAV's. Bottom line know your surroundings when putting your UAV in the air regardless of the altitude you will be flying and don't mess things up for the rest of us responsible UAV operators. The last thing we want are the bureaucrats getting involved.

???? ...... If a small or light plane cuts its "normal" flight path to beat an approaching airliner into land (yes real pilots cut corners to save gas money :fact, get over it) ..... and Im flying a kite in my front yard with 200 feet of string .... whose to blame in the flaming tragedy of wreckage on my neighbours lawn ... me or the ****** flying over my house thats not in the flight path to the local airport .... ???

Rules would say me ..... me says the other numpty ..... flying in the sky is dangerous and noone is perfect ... humans are involved, so people WILL die regardless of where, when and how.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
gfredrone said:
If a UAV operator is being wreckless this could be a different story.

Yes. If a UAV operator is being wreckless then there is no danger to others.

I erased a paragraph with TMI and that part was left over. Go fly a kite! :p

copysat said:
over the clouds = 6474 + ft
Stock setting + Aluminum foil around the receivers pointing up toward the PV2 .
image preview problem :roll:

2gsfwu9.png

http://tinypic.com/r/2gsfwu9/8

:D

To all: The 400' rule is just a suggested guideline not actually a law. You can operate anything recklessly (I.e. A motorized vehicle). Bottom line, just be safe and use common sense. I really don't want a foolish UAV pilot to ruin it for the rest of us.

Copysat I'm actually really impressed with your record. Did you descend in manual mode or otherwise? How much battery power did you have left by the time you landed?

P.S. I think Copysat holds the record so far!

gfredrone said:
I agree 100% you should play it safe with a 400 ft ceiling but the odds of a bird strike, on numbers alone, are much higher for an aircraft than they will ever be with UAV's. Bottom line know your surroundings when putting your UAV in the air regardless of the altitude you will be flying and don't mess things up for the rest of us responsible UAV operators. The last thing we want are the bureaucrats getting involved.

The bird won't get hauled into court and sued for everything it has or every will have, and getting into trouble while flying over 400 ft is a clear invitation to bureaucrat involvement, big time, which was most of my point.

Timtro said:
Again, it's only a matter of time before a little quad at 5,000 ft for no good reason flying where it doesn't belong bashes through the windshield of a Cessna and it's all over for everybody, starting with the Cessna. That's what the pilots are worried about for good reason because they know the very real dangers a lot more than we do.

A lot of people have gotten into trouble doing things just because they could when they really shouldn't. What if somebody DIES because of your actions?

That's when it all stops being fun and "voluntary" starts sounding like a really good idea.

Air craft wind screens are designed to withstand bird strikes which is far more likely to happen than hitting a random high flying stationary P2V. And the average bird that said windscreens are designed to resist impact from are both larger and weigh a lot more than the tiny little 2.8 pound P2V. Paranoid much? You sound like your warning people the sky is falling and we're all doomed.

The chances of a plane actually hitting a high altitude P2V are small enough not to mention how incredibly unlikely the P2V would cause any real damage let alone catastrophic failure level damage. With that said the dire warnings of impending doom are a bit over the top. As long as people fly with proper pre flight checks and are aware of the sky they're flying in there should be no major cause for concern.

Scottrod said:
copysat said:
over the clouds = 6474 + ft
Stock setting + Aluminum foil around the receivers pointing up toward the PV2 .
image preview problem :roll:

2gsfwu9.png

http://tinypic.com/r/2gsfwu9/8

:D

To all: The 400' rule is just a suggested guideline not actually a law. You can operate anything recklessly (I.e. A motorized vehicle). Bottom line, just be safe and use common sense. I really don't want a foolish UAV pilot to ruin it for the rest of us.

Copysat I'm actually really impressed with your record. Did you descend in manual mode or otherwise? How much battery power did you have left by the time you landed?

P.S. I think Copysat holds the record so far!

Good question man, iI was holding my breath to be honest , i was afraid to switch it to manual mode, so i kept it auto and its just landed with 0 battery, i can say i was lucky enough to make it.
Steps :
-Star with 97% battery.
-aluminum foil reflector for both control and rangee extender.
- control antenna was horizontal and range extender pointing up towards P2V.
- start camera recording half way up.
- start acceleration up and hold the stick in straight position.
- off course choosen the right location for this tray away from airline routs.
- altitude was +-42ft at start.

DON'T TRY THIS WITHOUT ANY KKNOWLEDGE
good luck

@copysat - can you describe how you descended - did you just lower the stick completely and did you give her any lateral motion ?
I ask because someone mentioned the possibility of the motors getting turned off as they do when you fully lower the stick on landing and also if it is a direct rapid descent then it can plummet in it's propwash.

pault said:
@copysat - can you describe how you descended - did you just lower the stick completely and did you give her any lateral motion ?
I ask because someone mentioned the possibility of the motors getting turned off as they do when you fully lower the stick on landing and also if it is a direct rapid descent then it can plummet in it's propwash.

The motors won't turn off doing that unless the Phantoms barometer detects that is has stopped moving down also it would be a bad idea to go straight down as fast as possible for that long a stretch do to instability it can create. And going down in manual mode would be a very bad idea unless you're experienced pilot. If you want faster response using atti mode is just as good and a lot safer.

pault said:
Yes i descent with full low stick in straight down position until i heard it coming , i don't know if someone cut off motors like this, hope someone will shear experience.

BenDronePilot said:
pault said:

The motors won't turn off doing that unless the Phantoms barometer detects that is has stopped moving down also it would be a bad idea to go straight down as fast as possible for that long a stretch do to instability it can create. And going down in manual mode would be a very bad idea unless you're experienced pilot. If you want faster response using atti mode is just as good and a lot safer.
Thanks for the reassurance, I have always been a bit cautious when descending in case the motors stopped :). I presume that if using atti mode it would be good to give her some lateral motion against the wind direction as otherwise she would drift with the wind and descend in her own propwash.

In ATTI / GPS modes, full down throttle stick NEVER shutdown motors :ugeek: only in MANUAL mode motors will turn off if you pull full down throttle stick.
Better way for quick descend is makig circles or moving slowly in any direction for avoiding self Vortex mortal falling :shock:

jumanoc said:
In ATTI / GPS modes, full down throttle stick NEVER shutdown motors :ugeek: only in MANUAL mode motors will turn off if you pull full down throttle stick.
Better way for quick descend is makig circles or moving slowly in any direction for avoiding self Vortex mortal falling :shock:

On the P1 there is 2 motor modes. Intelligent keeps the motors spinning until it detects it has landed. So no matter what you do in the air it shouldn't shut down. There is some rule that it will cut the motors if it detects an angle of more than 45' and the throttle is full or something like that.

Immediate mode will shut down the motors if you push the stick all the way down.

These only occur in GPS And Atti mode. Manual is manual!! So u can do what you want with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this was my second time to fly my new Phantom Vision my altitude wasn't much to cheer about.....But when I started figuring it was running me about $9 per linear foot, and I saw the dot in the sky...I panicked and brought it down. :oops:

New-Altitude-Personal-Best_thumb.jpg

Scottrod said:
I'm tempted to try a freefall but I'm worried that the props will somehow come loose.

Good point, I am not familar with the new self tightening props but I guess making them spin the opposite way through the falling air will make them unscrew?

Meluk said:
Scottrod said:
I'm tempted to try a freefall but I'm worried that the props will somehow come loose.

Good point, I am not familar with the new self tightening props but I guess making them spin the opposite way through the falling air will make them unscrew?

Yeah those are my thoughts exactly...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31