Your calibration opinion

Reaction score
Is it better to perform stick and IMU calibrations (Phantom mode) at the local field (within a few miles of home) where you are flying or is doing this calibration at home just as good? TIA

cmhorka said:
Is it better to perform stick and IMU calibrations (Phantom mode) at the local field (within a few miles of home) where you are flying or is doing this calibration at home just as good? TIA

I would just do it at home. Much more convenient and has no affect on how the bird performs in the field. Do the compass calibration at the field.

Thanks DB! - I'll do it! - Close your windows and doors today, no tellin' where this thing will end up! :)

I didn't think you had to perform a IMU calibration on the first flight, only the compass calibration.What does the IMU calibration consist of? Guess I better go read the manual and quick start manual again.

Stick calibration and IMU calibration would be no different in the field. No need to do it anywhere but at home in front of the PC.

In fact it's best to do the IMU calibration at home because it needs to be perfectly level and that's hard to do outdoors.
The IMU calibration has nothing to do with the compass and is not affected by electronics or magnetic fields. It's only about the inertial sensors, the accelerometers and gyroscopes.
It's very important the unit be perfectly level and perfectly still, no movements or big vibrations.

cahutch said:
Stick calibration and IMU calibration would be no different in the field. No need to do it anywhere but at home in front of the PC.

In fact it's best to do the IMU calibration at home because it needs to be perfectly level and that's hard to do outdoors.
The IMU calibration has nothing to do with the compass and is not affected by electronics or magnetic fields. It's only about the inertial sensors, the accelerometers and gyroscopes.
It's very important the unit be perfectly level and perfectly still, no movements or big vibrations.

To be clear the DJI IMU has 7 degrees of fredom, a 3-axis accelerometer, a 3-axis angular velocity and a barometric altimeter.
When combined with the compass and GPS, the a/c has 13 DoF.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj