Yet another FAA Registration question

We can argue the definition of 'commercial use' until we run out of bandwidth. But in the end, the only definition that will count is the one the judge uses in your trial.

Reactions: yorlik
I don't know why this keeps going.

If the drone will be for armature use, then pilot registers. That is the new law. If the drone is used for commercial use, the drone is registered, and a LICENSED pilot must be the one to fly it.

There is no use debating this. The law is the law. Once something is set up for commercial use, that it what it can be used for.

It is to prevent fraud in a lot of cases in tax code. Say you setup a vehicle for commercial use, so you can deduct gas prices and stuff.

There is no way the government can prove which drives were for commercial use or private, so they simply state it is to be used only for commercial use.

Say you buy a computer for business purposes, and you deduct from your income from your taxes as a business expense. If the government finds you are using it for personal purposes, you are BUSTED.

It doesn't matter "why". It only matters what is.

.............. Say you setup a vehicle for commercial use, so you can deduct gas prices and stuff.

There is no way the government can prove which drives were for commercial use or private, so they simply state it is to be used only for commercial use.

Yes they can. They merely ask for the log that's required to be kept. They also ask, right on the tax form, whether another vehicle is available for private use.

Yes they can. They merely ask for the log that's required to be kept. They also ask, right on the tax form, whether another vehicle is available for private use.

Perhaps "no way" was the wrong words to use.

Let me state it another way. Deciphering how something is used requires investigation and time. This equals expense. Because of the expense and time, the government does not feel like doing that way, so they make a law that states things the way I have said.

The laws are setup the way they are. That is the reality.

Want to change them? Write your congressman. Write the White House. Get on political forums and try to change peoples mind.

Good luck!

.....................The laws are setup the way they are. That is the reality. Want to change them? Write your congressman. Write the White House. Get on political forums and try to change peoples mind............

Where did this come from?

Reactions: kirk2579
If the drone will be for armature use, then pilot registers. That is the new law. If the drone is used for commercial use, the drone is registered, and a LICENSED pilot must be the one to fly it.

There is no use debating this. The law is the law. Once something is set up for commercial use, that it what it can be used for.

Not true. Four of my drones have N number registrations and are used for commercial purposes. They also have amateur/hobbyist registrations and are used for personal activities as well. The uses are not mutually exclusive.

It is to prevent fraud in a lot of cases in tax code. Say you setup a vehicle for commercial use, so you can deduct gas prices and stuff.

The FAA does not write regulations in order to support the tax code.

Not true. Four of my drones have N number registrations and are used for commercial purposes. They also have amateur/hobbyist registrations and are used for personal activities as well. The uses are not mutually exclusive.

The FAA does not write regulations in order to support the tax code.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes the FAA does not write code to support the tax code. That is another body, but in the end there are rules for business expenses, they end up being tied together.

The fact is that if you list something as for your business, you write it off as a cost of doing business. It gets deducted from your yearly income. Once that happens, you can't then say something is for personal use sometime and not others.

I believe if I am not mistaken that the original point was why can't the company be registered instead of the operator.

The law is the hobby operator flying the craft is to be registered is that not true?

Then we got into why is this, and why is that, and it should be like this, and should be like that, and it took a side step, and stupid me went right along with it.

The original post was can this happen?

Am I missing the original point of the post?

All the side tracking IS FUN & enjoyable, though, you gotta admit!

Anyway, yes, my OP was simple:
1) I do not own a drone, but a company I know does and lets me use it... Guess I don't need to register according to the FAA?
2) FAA says only these 2 entities can register: Who must register a UAS?
..............The owner must be:
----------------2a) 13 years of age or older.
----------------2b) U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident

Therefore, per the letter [of the law] of the FAA rules, my company cannot register our drones.

The company needs to register it.

But the system for them to do so is not yet available.

Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)
Note: Online sUAS Registration System is scheduled to open by March 31 2016 for:
  • Recreational Small Unmanned Aircraft owned by a company or non-individuals, and
  • Small Unmanned Aircraft used for commercial or non-recreational purposes.

Note: Online sUAS Registration System is scheduled to open by March 31 2016 for:
  • Recreational Small Unmanned Aircraft owned by a company or non-individuals, and

Thanks for this!

I will be excited to see if I meet the qualifiations and can register for non-recreational use. If that happens, I will be seriously upgrading!

Me thinks the FAA drone on line registration goons read this site's posts :)

That paragraph stating the company ownership and registration not ready until March WAS NOT THERE ON THAT PAGE WHEN I MADE MY OP. Remember laugh-in? VERY INTERESTING......

HAHAHAHA! They then went on added a NEW definition of 'US citizen' below THAT - stating it includes US companies and corporations! hahahaha! So now they have another major descrepency! They say personal registration is required by 'US citizens' but also say corporations cannot register until a NEW corporate registration is added by 31 March. hahahahahahah! I love how they are frantically trying to correct stuff as they go!

That paragraph stating the company ownership and registration not ready until March WAS NOT THERE ON THAT PAGE WHEN I MADE MY OP. Remember laugh-in? VERY INTERESTING......

HAHAHAHA! They then went on added a NEW definition of 'US citizen' below THAT - stating it includes US companies and corporations! hahahaha! So now they have another major descrepency! They say personal registration is required by 'US citizens' but also say corporations cannot register until a NEW corporate registration is added by 31 March. hahahahahahah! I love how they are frantically trying to correct stuff as they go!
You are mistaken.

That page was last updated on December 24.

Page last modified: December 24, 2015 1:14:24 PM EST

There is no commercial ownership that I know of. Somebody owns it. Even an entity. Msinger is talking about commercial USE. The FAA does care what you call yourself. They care what you use it for. What need is there for a company to own it. Someone owns the company.

There is no commercial ownership that I know of. Somebody owns it. Even an entity. Msinger is talking about commercial USE. The FAA does care what you call yourself. They care what you use it for. What need is there for a company to own it. Someone owns the company.
According to the FAA's website, there will be "commercial ownership" available in the next few months.

See my post above.

You are mistaken.

That page was last updated on December 24.

Page last modified: December 24, 2015 1:14:24 PM EST

You are right, sorry. I used a few wrong words in my post.

Rather than stating "That paragraph stating the company ownership and registration not ready until March WAS NOT THERE ON THAT PAGE WHEN I MADE MY OP."

I should have stated "That paragraph stating the company ownership and registration not ready until March WAS NOT THERE ON THAT PAGE THE DAY I TRIED TO REGISTER." I tried to register the morning of Christmas eve. :)

Fact remains, when I looked at the rules to try to register, those comments about corporate ownership were NOT there.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's the aluminum foil. Does all sorts of nasty things. Make sure that it is applied correctly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj