Yes it is possible

Reaction score
I didn't believe it myself, I came across a post on Facebook about a new flyer who wanted to know why his quad tipped over when he tried to take off.

He had his props on the wrong motors, yep true story

I said he deserved a medal for being the only person i knew that managed to defeat a system designed to prevent such an occurrence.

Just proves the saying, "Nothing is idot proof"......

Is
I didn't believe it myself, I came across a post on Facebook about a new flyer who wanted to know why his quad tipped over when he tried to take off.

He had his props on the wrong motors, yep true story

I said he deserved a medal for being the only person i knew that managed to defeat a system designed to prevent such an occurrence.
is he blaming dji or owning up?

Reactions: crash1sttime
Yea. This being posted in a P3 forum adds to the confusion.

I'm just trying to get my head around someone 'forcing' two completely incompatible threads to cut into each other ...
How could anyone think its right to have to force on props ?

Is there actually any mention of exactly what Quad it was ? Any cut and paste so we could actually read it ourselves ?

I know of some quads that could be mounted wrong - but they do not have threaded hub props ...

I really am interested in knowing more ...

Actually I have a prop that I will not use - it has a chip out of it ... I will see how hard it is to put onto wrong motor !!

Nigel

I did not think it would be easy to mount props on wrong motors - but in fact ... it was relatively easy ! Shock ... Horror ...
I can now well believe that an absent minded person could in fact do it.

Watch the video ....

The prop hub is in good condition, it is only binned due to a chip out of one blade. The motors are P3 motors that I swapped from my drowned P3S to a 450 FPV quad.

The possibility to mount wrongly - I believe comes from the softer plastic hub mounting to a hard alloy motor shaft thread. It took only a small amount of press down to get thread started - similar to many plastic threads in fact !

Nigel

Some people don't care to put attention and ended up in destroying literally their aircraft. I guess this hobby is not for everyone :)

As in all hobbies / activities ...

I was a disbeliever to be honest but having now tested - I am shocked by what I could do.

Imagine a child or another with less attention - they could do what I proved in the video so easily !

The strange thing though - I would have expected the Quad to try to fly INTO the ground ... not tip over. The Flight Controller would increase all motors RPM to take off - unless operator had manually started the motors and then tried a 'sloped non-vertical' take off ...

Anyway ... take care peeps ... !!

Nigel

The strange thing though - I would have expected the Quad to try to fly INTO the ground ... not tip over. l

It tips because the props arent moving the air in the right direction, as you power up the quad becomes unstable and thus never makes it off the ground, i know this as i once mounted 2 motors incorrectly on a P2V and it happened

Is there actually any mention of exactly what Quad it was ? Any cut and paste so we could actually read it ourselves ?
l

it was a P3A hence my post in the P3A section of the forum. ill try and find the FB post

Found it

Neil Owens I've now put the props on the right way round so will try that first
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply ·
· 5 January at 20:07Remove

Aarron Hindle
1f632.png
261d.png
☝️
1f923.png
1f923.png
1f923.png
1f602.png
1f923.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f923.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
them ☡ signs are to tell u which way they go haha
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply ·
· 5 January at 20:09Remove

Neil Owens
No I mean the coulors black and silver
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply ·
· 5 January at 20:10Remove

Neil Owens
That stuff
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 5 January at 20:10Remove

Aarron Hindle
If u have the blades wrong way could possibly be lifting the wrong as causing the wrong updraft
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 5 January at 20:11Remove

Neil Owens
That's what's happening so they are on the right way now
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 5 January at 20:11Remove

Jud Slater
How the hell did you put the props on wrong ?? they are designed to go on only the correct motor
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply ·
· 5 January at 20:31Manage

Neil Owens
Never had one before just guest
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 5 January at 20:33

Last edited:
"It tips because the props arent moving the air in the right direction, as you power up the quad becomes unstable and thus never makes it off the ground, i know this as i once mounted 2 motors incorrectly on a P2V and it happened" .........

two motors I can well understand as you have completely mixed thrusts ... no telling what would happen then.

But if all 4 are swapped so CW are CCW and CCW are CW .... then the thrusts should be equal and FC increasing RPM on all 4 because its not getting expected reaction ... in theory - it should just press down harder onto the ground as long as it starts off level.

Nigel

I did not think it would be easy to mount props on wrong motors - but in fact ... it was relatively easy ! Shock ... Horror ...
I can now well believe that an absent minded person could in fact do it.

Watch the video ....

The prop hub is in good condition, it is only binned due to a chip out of one blade. The motors are P3 motors that I swapped from my drowned P3S to a 450 FPV quad.

The possibility to mount wrongly - I believe comes from the softer plastic hub mounting to a hard alloy motor shaft thread. It took only a small amount of press down to get thread started - similar to many plastic threads in fact !

Nigel
I always appreciate how game you are for testing different things and sharing your results with everyone. Thanks.

No problem .. I had the gash prop and the metal shafts will take more than a bit of plastic to damage.

I often do it out of my own curiosity ! Plus it often answers others questions. Video / picture can provide far better than trying to write.

But I will say after the 'No-App' 50m experiment that ended up with my over 300 Euro repair bill - I am reluctant to do extreme tests now !! I'll leave those to others !!

Nigel

Of course, if one pair of adjacent props are correct, and the other pair forced onto the incorrect motors - one pair will lift, the other pair will push down, albeit very inefficiently. Instant rollover I would expect, since the controller is trying to hold it level by speeding up the wrong pair. They certainly won't correct for that!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20