Yes, another post-Christmas noob. Hi!

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
While my Phantom wasn't really a Christmas present I did get it a few days after in a trade.
A friend owned it before me and upgraded. I was interested in his old flyer so… here I am.

I look forward to reading through the forum and figuring out what exactly I have, the latest modifications and how to be a responsible and legal flyer.

As with all hobbies there is nomenclature to learn so I'll be a dope for a little while as I get it figured out.

I've restored musclecars, built furniture, been into firearms and do a little fine art for hobbies.
I'm looking forward to exploring my new interest and appreciate the help you folks already provide!

I work as an educational technologist and disruptive technologies interest me. My plan is to use my new quad in teaching my lessons next year.
I have done video for events on a college campus and specialize in instructional design so this device and my prior video experiences should dovetail nicely.

If anyone wanted to point me to the FAQs or noob section I would greatly appreciate it.
Anyone who really learned a lot from a particular Youtube vid when getting started started would also be helpful if you don't mind posting a link.

Here is the complete setup I acquired

1606836_878466158842392_7132408574571323972_n.jpg

Nice. You have the Phantom 1 - the original Phantom and my favorite.
Make sure your battery door is securely closed and latched before launching! It is a very tight fit with a battery in there, get the cables off to the side so that door will catch when it shuts. I was under 10 flights when my battery dropped out of the door at about 150 feet. I cringed as I watched everything plummet to the ground. Had to rebuild after that crash. I added a strip of Velcro to the outside of the door to further secure it. I've seen larger door covers to replace the stock one as well.

Also google Colin Quinn and see if you can find his videos on the Phantom 1 - the best tutorials out there IMO.

Welcome to the forum, Ohioflyer.

Here is the best tip I can give you. I'm guessing your Phantom lacks a DJI manual (although it is available on line), so below is the URL for a readable and useful manual that I use. A lot of time, effort, and forum member input has gone into it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0

Fly responsibly, have fun, and good luck!

Great Pumpkin said:
Welcome to the forum, Ohioflyer.

Here is the best tip I can give you. I'm guessing your Phantom lacks a DJI manual (although it is available on line), so below is the URL for a readable and useful manual that I use. A lot of time, effort, and forum member input has gone into it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0

Fly responsibly, have fun, and good luck!

I just got it last night at dusk and took it for a 10 min spin. I have flown this one when my friend owned it.
I need to unpack the case and see what all is inside so the manual may be in there under the foam. Thanks for the link though.
I have a root canal this afternoon so maybe I'll read it in the waiting room!

OhioFlyer said:
Great Pumpkin said:
I have a root canal this afternoon so maybe I'll read it in the waiting room!

It'll save the cost of the anaesthetic :D

Welcome to the forum! Looks like everyone has you covered as far as getting started goes, but if you ever need a video tutorial on anything just let me know and I'll see what I can do. I have the FC40, so they're pretty much the same thing minus the little camera and maybe the tx.

Welcome to the party OhioFlyer.

Good info so far unless you fly like I do.
You may want to save some money on props and use the guards until the anesthetic wears off. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj