Yeah!! My first flyaway

Reaction score
I was up about 300 feet, 8 sats, thought all was good. Taking a picture of an alien crop circle (launch pad) and it happened. Just took off, not responding to control input, hit failsafe, nothing happening. As it headed towards wooded area to be followed by housing, I CSC it and the motors shut off. It was dropping like a rock from 300 feet, CSC'd again and the motors started and righted itself but would not take power. So down, down, down it came landing in 2 feet of fresh powder snow. Ran over to where there was a perfect X print and started diigging. Pulled it out with zero damage but covered with snow so I wont try starting it till I'm sure its dry. So what caused it? Maybe because its ten degrees out, I don't know. Why did it take the CSC command and not stick input. I did stop at atti on my way to failsafe but it didn't seem to make a difference in the way it was speeding away and at that point panic sets in so CSC it was. All in all I feel lucky but not as lucky as never having a fly away! Attached is the last picture taken.

Attachments

• DJI00892.JPG
    DJI00892.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 788
Wow, you are lucky.

That does sound very scary!!!

I thought that you could only do the CSC for motors off if it was either on the ground or hadn't changed altitude for more than 3-4 seconds and yours was dropping like a stone so I'm puzzled as that shouldn't have been possible??

Fourblade said:
That does sound very scary!!!

I thought that you could only do the CSC for motors off if it was either on the ground or hadn't changed altitude for more than 3-4 seconds and yours was dropping like a stone so I'm puzzled as that shouldn't have been possible??

CSC will work all the time, left stick hold for 3-4 sec. will shut down motors if not descending.
My question to OP: How can you shut down motors with CSC if you have no contact?

My guess is that it was a battery problem. I had a similar issue with one of my batteries that rapidly lost power from 50% to 5%. My Phantom ran into a tree and fell. Required shell replacement. the battery had shown similar symptoms a few flighte earlier, so threw it away. No problems with other batteries.

Thanks Frank...I'll check the GPS connection, that just might be the problem. Seeing as the sticks responded to CSC, I think if I had tried harder to get it under control in ATTI it probably would have worked but at that point panic had set in. So I would say maybe it did just drop GPS suddenly. The screen still showed 7 sats but that was before loss. I was just bringing it back from a 1500' distant flight and had 55% battery left so I hovered overhead for a few snapshots. Luckily it was overhead when it happened.

floatflyr said:
Thanks Frank...I'll check the GPS connection, that just might be the problem. Seeing as the sticks responded to CLC, I think if I had tried harder to get it under control in ATTI it probably would have worked but at that point panic had set in. So I would say maybe it did just drop GPS suddenly. The screen still showed 7 sats but that was before loss. I was just bringing it back from a 1500' distant flight and had 55% battery left so I hovered overhead for a few snapshots. Luckily it was overhead when it happened.

When my quad would mess up, I was able to regain control by switching the S1 switch out of GPS Mode and right back into GPS Mode. Once the quad becomes confused due to the gps signal break, the quad doesn't know where it is at or what it should be doing. The problem with the GPS Plug is that the connector it fits into allows the gps plug to rock in the Front to Back of quad direction. Removing the top cover a time or two means you have to unplug and re-plug that connection. When doing that it tends to stretch the part inside the gps plug. The connector has 4 long pins, and the removing and installing again eventually ends up with a bad connection. I cut the end off a plastic tie strap and wedged between the plug and connector as seen in the pic's and I never again had a issue. It is just too easy of a mod to do to not do it and have your quad become trashed.

I'm not sure if this would be a proper alternative (I've never experienced a flyaway), but [NAZA-M mode] instead of selecting the Failsafe mode in S2 switch, you could set it to Manual mode, so if you still have contact between RC and aircraft, you should regain some control and ignore GPS or Atii failure.

Again, not sure if it's a good option, but when I'm sorta more experienced, for sure I'm gonna have the manual switch to try and regain control.

Frank, I did the gps mod with the tie wrap end but first I pulled each pin out of the gps side connector and gently squeezed them with small needle nose pliers and now have solid contact. It seemed too loose before. Thanks for the tip!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4