Yawing wide

Reaction score
When I first got my Phantom It would yaw on a dime. I did an IMU calibration the other day and it has not worked right since. In addition to yawing wide I get a lot of travel in GPS mode. It doesnt just float forward or backwards. It will travel forward for a while and then maybe backward and kind of in circles. Really no ryme or reason to it.Compass is calibrated correctly before flight. I did another calibration yesterday and used a level to make sure my surface was legit with no help. I know that the level surface wont help if the IMU itself isnt level. I tried the shim method with no results.

Remove the top shell.
The IMU calibrations doesn't need the compass.
Use a physical bubble level as your phone app bubble may not be calibrated correctly (phone cases/protruding camera/etc).
Place it directly on the IMU.
Make sure its level in both/all axis.

Mako79 said:
Remove the top shell.
Use a physical bubble level as your phone app bubble may not be calibrated correctly (phone cases/protruding camera/etc).
And how do I level the IMU when I get to it? I may play around with the paper shims for a while before opening it up. Doesnt opening it void the warranty?

Before doing too much, I'd be inclined to re-calibrate the compass but take it to a field or somewhere where ther isn't any risk of ferrous metal nearby to interfere.

Then fly again and see if this makes a difference.

Pmcdn said:
Before doing too much, I'd be inclined to re-calibrate the compass but take it to a field or somewhere where ther isn't any risk of ferrous metal nearby to interfere.

Then fly again and see if this makes a difference.
will do

ccase39 said:
Mako79 said:
Remove the top shell.
And how do I level the IMU when I get to it? I may play around with the paper shims for a while before opening it up. Doesnt opening it void the warranty?

Open the top up, you'll have to disconnect the GPS wire to remove the top shell completely. Plug in a USB cable into the bird's USB port. (so you won't disturb the leveled IMU later.) Put your spirit level on top of the IMU. Shim up whatever side/corner you need so the bubble level is correct. When you have the IMU level, plug the other end into your computer that has the Vision Assistant, go to Advanced and recalibrate the IMU. If you don't do the IMU, you're wasting time trying to level the bird. At least in my case...............

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl