YAW stick BAD behavior

Reaction score
Hi fellows. Here is the story:
1. New phantom. :)
2. Gain values setting by my retailer. ;)
3. Compass calibration each time before take off.
4. All green flashes. :mrgreen:
5. In the air the phantom dance-bounce a lot. Material for other topic. :?
6. I followed the "Resetting the Compass of the DJI Phantom (when Calibrtion fails)" video.
7. After resetting everything the behavior remains...

The phantom takes off, I stop at 3-5 meters altitude, and then when I try to rotate on its axis, using the yaw stick (left or right). Its when comes the bad-behavior. The phantom moves by curving from its takeoff position. Towards in front and then keeps going. Even when I released the stick. Please see the image in this link. http://f.cl.ly/items/27203e1P0a411N0O2l0H/myphantom.jpg

Any ideas to fix this?
Thanks in advance!

It could be one of the motor has more spinning resistance than the others, try turning them by hand and see how each feels compared to the other, and/or after a short flight feel the motors and compare the temps.

Hello Driffill, sounds perfectly logical. Since I unpacked the phantom, I've noticed that the engines are turned off (reach 0 speed) differently. Some of the engines have different behavior when off.

Any idea to solve it?

If it is because one motor is tighter than the rest, it may be from a dodgy bearing, a loose C/E clip, or dirt/foreign matter in the motor. I've had tiny bits of dirt get caught in the motor, I'm actually opening my phantom right now to make some minor changes (FBOSD tweaks and FW upgrade, might replace my usb set up while its open) and clean up some dirt from some not so clean landings lol

Videos on how to open the motors and replace bearing etc are all over YouTube :)

I'm a logic thinker! The drift while "Yaw-ing" is somewhat common as the craft is changing motor rpm, that can affect its stability in hover . . . But when you mention it continued (and made the nice little picture) after letting the stick go suggested one motor was not getting back to the correct RPM.

"Stock" replacement motors are around $40 (on eBay) but if its newly purchased than maybe the dealer may offer a replacement motor free?!?!

My Phantom had one motor that out of the box was slower to spin up and first to stop. It flew okay the first few times, then started to yaw strangely after a few flights. Then one day that motor stopped almost completely and it flew straight into a small tree. No real damage since I was only 6 ft. off the ground.

Motor e-clip was up inside the housing and the bronze bushing was lying in the bottom of the motor well. Needless to say, now I have 4 T-motors. :)

So you guys think that if I keep doing flights without rotating, the phantom can get to adjust?
Or is a better option to contact my retailer for guarantee?

More ideas welcome.!!

Hi,

It may be a motor, and that's the most obvious choice, but I have a similar problem and I know for a fact that it isn't motor related, because I swapped all of my motors and then put in a set of AntiGravity motors (waas planned before the problem started).

So, it certainly can be a motor, but it may not be... the point being keep searching for solutions while you try out what you've already learned.

I asked DJI for help at one point and they never responded, so I don't know how good that option is :-(

Good Luck and Share Your Findings.

AM

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4