Yaw - It's spinning itself!

Reaction score
Just came in from a flight and i've noticed my phantom is turning anti clockwise all by itself.

I noticed from my previous outing as well it was starting to drift a lot to the left but now I think it was because of this self yawing (is that a word?) motion. So no hands on the throttle and it does a 360 turn in about 15 seconds. Does this in GPS and ATTI modes. Down wind, up wind always turns anti clockwise.

I have only recently lightly sanded all 4 props because of what I would describe as tiny bits of fur particles.

Did about 3 compass calibrations (the S1 switch up and down) but before I do a computer based calibration is it something else I should be considering first?

I have also mentioned in another thread that one of the motors has been 'sticky' from day one. When turning on the props 3, get going but the rear right may take an additional second or three before it joins the rest.

Bird has never been in a crash.

Any idea of a diagnosis?

I too have one motor that is stiff and slow to start. Also stiffer from day one. It flys ok but I am nervous. Its being replaced by DJI via my dealer.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

4wd said:
Try calibrating the sticks, first in the RC software (connect to controller) then in main assistant (connect to phantom)
Sorry but there is no way this is going to make the motor less stiff! Lol. However I do recal the sticks every 20 flights. Just part of my routine maintenance checks.

Well i've recalibrated the controller and did the advanced imu on the bird. Seems to have itself sorted.

Can't tell fully if its worked 100% as it's drifting left a lot indoors but at least it's not spinning. Can't test it outside as it's after sunset and you can't fly RCs after sunset in Australia legally.

IrishSights said:
I too have one motor that is stiff and slow to start. Also stiffer from day one. It flys ok but I am nervous. Its being replaced by DJI via my dealer.
Your motor issue sounds like a failed phase to me. I don't know, but assumed that these motors were 3-phase brushless motors, and when one phase fails (either in the ESC or the motor itself), it will still run, but doesn't always know which way to turn when trying to start. Once you give it some "direction" it will probably run but will draw more current through its good windings.

IrishSights said:
4wd said:
Try calibrating the sticks, first in the RC software (connect to controller) then in main assistant (connect to phantom)
Sorry but there is no way this is going to make the motor less stiff! Lol. However I do recal the sticks every 20 flights. Just part of my routine maintenance checks.
'Twas directed at OP but phone rang between typing and posting :)

slothead said:
IrishSights said:
Your motor issue sounds like a failed phase to me. I don't know, but assumed that these motors were 3-phase brushless motors, and when one phase fails (either in the ESC or the motor itself), it will still run, but doesn't always know which way to turn when trying to start. Once you give it some "direction" it will probably run but will draw more current through its good windings.

Hmmm, I can take it back to the shop but it's going to be one of those things where it never happens in front of people who can help out the diagnosis! You know, like my email isn't working but then it does... :)

A good way to determine if the problem is with the calibration or a physical component is to switch the P2V+ to return to home and observe if the strange behavior continues. I had a weird, slow, descent issue where I would keep losing altitude. Then, I noticed in my video that when the P2V+ entered return to home mode, everything stabilized. So I did a couple of advanced calibrations and all was good after that. Good luck!

Well I got to fly this morning and its seems to have sorted itself out after the advance calibration and remote calibrations.

Has a bit of a bias to the left at first but settles after a bit.

Thanks for the tips :)

I had this start happening today it just starts rotating anticlockwise slowly, I can hold it on the stick but as soon as I let go it starts again.
I went home and recalibrated everything and it still does it, the only thing I have done since last flying it is upgrade to 3.04 and pull the Yaw gain down to 40% to slow it down for filming, I don't know if it was from the upgrade or not.
The only other thing is the last time I flew it was in a different country, I recalibrated the compass twice here with the usual dance but I am wondering if 3.04 is preventing it from calibrating properly, any ideas anyone???

Its not the update. 3.06 is even better for stability. Set you gains to default and do a full recal in the RC Assistant first and then the Assistant software. See if that helps.

I might be wrong but could you have pressed the gyro button on the app? When this is pressed the phantom will yaw when you turn your body if your phone is connected to the tx clamp, it will also tilt up and down if you bend forward or backwards. Ive done this by mistake and it makes the phantom look like its on drugs till you figure it out.

Hi Mal_PV2_Ireland
Nope not that, I have a P2 with a Gopro not the vision or vision plus so not clipping the phone on, I used the DJI Assistant on a PC to recalibrate the sticks.
I am sure its a compass issue just not sure how to fix it, I might try the dance again tomorrow....

Yeah I'd try basic and then advanced calibration and then compass calibration. I had something similar when my bird came back from repair from dji germany. I think the compass got out of whack from either the xray or different location. The compass mod was over 4500. Justbas a matter of interest, are you doing the old school compass dance where you spin it around your body or are you turning it in the same spot as if spinning on a dime?

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
I might be wrong but could you have pressed the gyro button on the app? When this is pressed the phantom will yaw when you turn your body if your phone is connected to the tx clamp, it will also tilt up and down if you bend forward or backwards. Ive done this by mistake and it makes the phantom look like its on drugs till you figure it out.

This is a new one on me. I know that the tilting the phone will tilt the camera up and down but didn't realize it would affect the yaw. Are you sure?

Very sure, check it out yourself. I think it was added 2 updates ago. I can kinda see a use for it if you want to yaw while flying straight but I only tried it once and it was too resposive. Might take a bit more practice.

Flying High said:
I has no probs at all until I went to Bali with it, it was fine there but **** since I got back
Check your compass mods in the assistant software. When mine went over 4500 I couldnt get it back down with basic then advanced calibration followed by the compass dance. I had to resort to the magnet trick but I would warn you to only do this as a last resort.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers