Yaw Drift Question

Reaction score
When yawing (rotating direction of Phantom), I notice my Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3 drifts a foot or two, at least. This was true out of the box, and was also true after updating the firmware and performing an advanced IMU calibration. I've heard of a few others having this issue, but i'm trying to find out what we have in common.

Do all Phantom 2 Vision Plus v3 models have this much yaw drift, or is it simply variation between units off the dji assembly line?

(I can also confirm I always calibrate compass pre-launch, and this issue occurs in GPS mode).

I have a P2v+ v3 also and mine doesn't do it in GPS. It only does that on attitude mode. What mode you using it under?

Yes I have the V3 and also first p2v+. I think that's V1

Both doesn't do it under gps. I'm not sure what could cause yours to do that. Perhaps wait awhile and someone on the forum might have an answer.

I always calibrate the compass prior to every launch. Yaw drift occurs regardless.

I can confirm the following:

1. Latest firmware installed
2. advanced IMU calibration performed.
3. GPS mode on (s1 in forward position, s2 also in forward position)
4. Always calibrate compass prior the EVERY flight.
5. No damage to phantom or props.
6. Problem has existed since day 1.
7. The problem occurs even with a solid GPS lock.

In your replies, please also confirm whether your version is v2 or v3. I'm trying to determine if this issue is specific to some V3 phantoms.

I wonder if it is something to do with the rate of yaw?? slow yaw would be ok, but fast yaw not so good. my reasoning is that to stay at altitude all 4 props have to spin fast enough to keep the bird up, when turning slow I'm guessing 2 props speed up slightly and 2 slow down slightly for the torque to turn the aircraft. if you want a fast turn perhaps either the fast props can't spin fast enough or the slow props can't spin slow enough and maintain altitude so you end up with an imbalance the drone has to compensate for by moving a little bit to maintain height?? or it could be GPS fighting wind and not able to compensate quick enough while spinning?? maybe try it on a really still day low down so you aren't up in the jet streams??? :mrgreen:

I had posted the same question a few weeks ago,
and we never really solved the issue. i can live with it,
just need to be careful if near any buildings/trees..

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30771

i was, but have since removed them and still have the same effect during yaw..
large circle, worse the faster the yaw is,,

I've seen this a few times but not every time. It usually happens at higher altitude so it might be wind related.

Guys, I can confirm it is a defect with some phantom 2 v3 units. My business partner just received his phantom 2 v3, and after powering up for the first time, his unit's yaw doesn't cause drift. We compared side by side and confirmed all variables are identical. No prop-guards, no damage, updated firmware, calibrated IMU, calibrated compass pre-launch, same altitude, no wind, GPS mode.

If you have a brand new unit with repeatable yah drift and have confirmed there is no other cause (prop guards, wind, old firm-ware, lack of calibration, collision damage, imu improperly calibrated), then I can personally confirm your unit has a defect. I don't think I could have been more careful or scientific in my determination of this defect given that one unit has it and an identical unit with same conditions does not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic