XT60 battery cable fraying too easily

Reaction score
Is it typical for the XT60 cable to fray so easily? I realize that the constant loading and unloading of the battery into the Phantom can cause stress on the cable, but it seems that maybe over the course of a year or so it would start to deteriorate. I've had my Phantom for just about 4 weeks and it's already frayed to the point of exposing the wire (which I'm sure is not a good thing).

It is not uncommon for this to happen but 4 weeks is pretty quick - maybe worth checking with your supplier and sending pics.

If you have a half decent soldering iron you'd do well to pop the lid open, remove the old ones and create new ones with newer, better silicone wires.

If the fraying isn't too bad now you could do something using a product called Sugru (google it or get it on y). It comes out the pack like plastercine that you mould into any shape but in 24hrs it sets into a firm but rubberised silicone (heat proof and inert to electricity).

I used it on my F450.... you'd not want anything near as much as i used here or it'll never go back in the shell of the Phantom (I used a full 5g pack but was using it on a 5800mah 4s with massive cables ). A litte bit around the fraying parts and up onto the XT60 plug should hold things secure. Make sure you give it a full 24hrs to really bond though. You could use hot glue for this but this is much more flexible IMO and it is REALLY strong when set.

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

DeweyAXD said:
If the fraying isn't too bad now you could do something using a product called Sugru (google it or get it on y). It comes out the pack like plastercine that you mould into any shape but in 24hrs it sets into a firm but rubberised silicone (heat proof and inert to electricity).. Make sure you give it a full 24hrs to really bond though. You could use hot glue for this but this is much more flexible IMO and it is REALLY strong when set.

Thanks for the info Dewey! Will look into the Sugru. In the meantime, I'll wrap it with electrical tape.

No probs. You should take a pic of it before taping and get it on here for others to see... it could be from a batch of badly soldered ones or something. Don't leave it for too long either... sods law dictates that if/when it goes through, it'll be in the air and these things don't glide home :lol:

Yes, it'd be good to see where it is fraying? Perhaps it's from pulling the connectors out by the cable, or rubbing the cables against the shell abrasively while inserting/removing the battery?

I had the same thing happen with less than 20 flights done. 1st to the red then to the black. I used liquid elec tape then covered in regular elec tape. Happened too easily IMO. Next time I have the cover off I'll probably replace the whole set of wires.

I like the sugru idea for my f550.

ElGuano said:
Yes, it'd be good to see where it is fraying? Perhaps it's from pulling the connectors out by the cable, or rubbing the cables against the shell abrasively while inserting/removing the battery?

I'm pretty careful to pull the connectors apart by the plastic ends - not the cables. It appears that it is fraying from the simple act of inserting the cable into the battery compartment. I'm sure that the twisting and rubbing against the shell contributes to the fraying, but it shouldn't break down so easily IMHO.

I've ordered the Sugru so hopefully that does the trick.

Mine frayed right past the shrink tubing and I had to resolder it. Thank you for the Sugru recommendation. I just added it to my Amazon cart.

No probs... so far its been great stuff. Just remember to find a few other applications for it if you aren't going to use the full 5g pack. Shame to waste it!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik