X-Rite color checker calibration

Reaction score
Have any of you drone video and still photographers tried the X-Rite Color Checker for camera calibration?
I have used it for years with my DSLR cameras and today I tried it with my P3P. The process is to photograph the color chart using DNG file format, create a color profile for that camera which then becomes available in Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw as a develop preset. For me, the calibration made the greens and yellows much more normal looking. I'm happy I did it. Post processing is much quicker and more accurate.

Cool idea, I have the XRite setup for my DSLRs and will give this a try on the Phantom4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I also did a DNG profile for my older P2V+ with the same results. Much better greens and yellows in the RAW conversion of DNG files. It will have no effect on JPGs.

Have you played with creating LUTs for video? I'm thinking that the process for creating an Xrite camera profile can also be used to create a LUT profile for video to be used in Premiere Pro or a Final Cut Pro. Will post results once a I have done this.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

No, all my monitors are well calibrated so I do color grading (correcting) by eye in Premier Pro. It's also possible in Photoshop but more cumbersome.

Hi Everyone, I have this cuestion for DOP or colorist experts... maybe you can help me...

I know everybody who are looking the most pro footage use D-Log setting and then finish the color in Resolve or whatever you use for post.
I feel enough conformable shooting my Phantom 4 in good light conditions, perfect exposicion and a lovely histogram using an ND8, None Preset, and -2-3-2 Style. Specially if I'm using the X-Rite Color Checker. That's is for me one of the best ways to have a very faitful colors in a minute, a then you can go whatever you want to go... gold, ice, summer, winter tilt and orange...any style you are looking for. But first, I would lile to see true colors for a second.
When I have to match the colors with colorcheker in Resolve, I need to setup the camara SOURCE selecting options like Rec 709, Arri Log, SLog, Linar, etc...

So my cuestion is: If Im shooting wiht NONE preset, what source I must to select in the colorcheker dialog?
If Im shooting wiht D-log preset, what source I must to select in the colorcheker dialog?

Thanks you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4