WTF: Stupid prop's

Reaction score
Ever since I purchased my P2V I've had a weird issue with one of the back prop's/motor's.

The other 3 prop's spin on/off absolutely fine but 1 off them stick's and seem's to rub.

There is no issue flying, if anything it too tight so it's definitely not going to fly off, the problem is it's a pain in the *** to take off and put on. I've tried different props so that's no the issue, I think the little spindle thing below the thread is slightly too big but I could be hugely wrong.

I've tried to make a video showing it (although cam wouldn't focus at time's), I'd really appreciate if someone could take a few moment's and hopefully advise on a fix. The motor has some black rubbing marks round it which is obviously the body of the prop running round it.

Video: http://youtu.be/oo63pVCjz5Q

that happens to my P2. you reach down inside of you and become a man and suck it up and deal with it. Use two hands. Problem solved.

You either have a bur on the metal and or it wasn't machined down properly. I wouldn't keep forcing it on though. A couple of turns with emery cloth or sandpaper should fix it.

Ksc said:
that happens to my P2. you reach down inside of you and become a man and suck it up and deal with it. Use two hands. Problem solved.

Thats not the problem, I think I can find just enough strength to tighten it as long as I've worked out that day, I was just worried that it could cause damage or possibly make the motor run slightly slower. I'm a noob so I don't know these things.

After looking closer, they did not machine it down all of the way. My shafts are cut all the way to the bottom. Yours has a step.

Nvr2fst said:
Maybe that ring at the bottom is from a prop being broken on there one time. That ring may slide off?

It's only 1 week old and I've only had it out twice so shouldn't be

Never mind, it looked like a step with the wrench cuts. Just wear marks because of an oversized shaft. Hold the Phantom upside down if you use the sanding method so you don't get grit in your motor and then blow it out with compressed air.. just hold the sandpaper around the shaft and turn the motor and redo until it goes on smooth.

Or return for a new one. You seem to have a legit issue. It should not be that way at all of course. Your call.

It appears the manufacturer had a bad cast in its lines.

From the marks it looks like the OEM didn't turn down the shaft's shoulder far enough, it's too big in diameter and it's catching on the inside of the prop's crown. Write it up and send the link of your video to your dealer, CC DJI by filing a report here: http://www.dji.com/tech-support/report-problem/

You "could" fix this yourself, but your dealer may refuse any future warranty claims if he sees any scratches on the motor shaft from your trying to sand it down. The other thing I'd be worried about is: Will sanding throw it out of balance if it's not done evenly?

iDrone (the Very)

iDrone said:
From the marks it looks like the OEM didn't turn down the shaft's shoulder far enough, it's too big in diameter and it's catching on the inside of the prop's crown. Write it up and send the link of your video to your dealer, CC DJI by filing a report here: http://www.dji.com/tech-support/report-problem/

You "could" fix this yourself, but your dealer may refuse any future warranty claims if he sees any scratches on the motor shaft from your trying to sand it down. The other thing I'd be worried about is: Will sanding throw it out of balance if it's not done evenly?

iDrone (the Very)

I agree entirely.
That's why I proposed a lathe. But your average Joe doesn't have one in their garage. I personally would have sent it back from the word go. But returning is such a pain. I avoid it when possible.
Do you think they were machined down? I would think they were cast. I wonder if it is egged or totally oversized. Hard to see in the video.

Very carefully examine the good post, primarily the threads (and the shaft below,
if the propeller touches it when first threading the prop on) and carefully compare
with the bad post. Look at the cross-section of the thread, and for a very small
flat surface on the outer edge of the bad thread spiral, which would indicate that the
bad threads were not cut deep enough.

Something must be different between the good and the bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair