WTB-center board for a P3S

Reaction score
I purchased a P3S for $350 with the understainding the bird had been stored in the closet for over two years and had not been flown but one time. After I got home I booted up the bird and found everything in working order including the battery charged only one time. Checked out except the motors would not engage. Took to Hobby Town for a check. Mother board has to be replaced. I was just too gullible. Really do not know what to do next except to find a mother board and replace. Best advice please!

Olen, I just started a private conversation with you.

There are basically three Bay routes you can go:
1) full price for a new DJI part from DJI
2) used price from a reputable dismantler/recycler seller. There are quite a few online, and they charge typically between a new part and an untested crashed old part, as in
3) used price from a crashed drone, up for sale and basically untested by the seller.

The prices reflect the degree of risk involved.
I've had success (and failure) with all three methods.

Best
Chris

Last edited:
Olen, while you're about it, why not try this??

Phantom 3 to Mavic conversion - unboxing and pics
Chris-Your info. has been helpful. With your knowledge and experience I would like to ask your openion.
When I purched the P3P I was told that the drone had not been flown but one time and that was over two or so years ago. He turned the drone on and everything booted up except the motors would not activate. I just assumed that was because the bird had been put away for so long.
When I got home the bird once again came to life except motors would not activate. Turn off the drone and would not reconnect. Now I have seen the drone connect and not connect and I am thinking that it is not the mother board but might just be the remote. Being a senior citizen this is a lot of fun but I am like a kid that has to ask too many ?

Olen, hello!
Chris here.

Okay, let's suppose you turn on your drone. Do you hear the do-re-mi-fa-so-fa... sound?

If so, please note that there are no loudspeakers on the drones. The notes are in fact caused by the motors vibrating. And if you hear the tones going t.t.t.t.t.t that means the motors and their ESCs (electronic speed controllers) are working okay.

So if you turn on your drone and you get the startup tones, then you check your remote. Does it have the green LED dot to the left of the four power status dots?
If green, then you're connected. If red, then not.

Also, look at the front of the drone's gimbal - there's a very small LED there, on the gimbal board where the micro SD card slots in the side. Is that green as well?

Let me know these things and then I can advise further.

Best
Chris

Olen, hello!
Chris here.

Okay, let's suppose you turn on your drone. Do you hear the do-re-mi-fa-so-fa... sound?

If so, please note that there are no loudspeakers on the drones. The notes are in fact caused by the motors vibrating. And if you hear the tones going t.t.t.t.t.t that means the motors and their ESCs (electronic speed controllers) are working okay.

So if you turn on your drone and you get the startup tones, then you check your remote. Does it have the green LED dot to the left of the four power status dots?

Also, look at the front of the drone's gimbal - there's a very small LED there, on the gimbal board where the micro SD card slots in the side. Is that green as well?

Best
Chris
A
Olen, hello!
Chris here.

Best
Chris
All
Olen, hello!
Chris here.

Best
Chris

Okay, this is good!
Now, are you using an iPhone? Or an Android device?
And how is it connected to the remote controller?

It's usually via a USB cable that sometimes is no good.
Also, you need to get the USB port in your tablet/phone to talk properly with the DJI Go app, and also with the remote control.

This usually means some kind of USB setting in your setup screen, which is different depending on if you're using an Apple or an Android device.

You also need to stop other programs from running at the same time as the Go app (also differently achieved in Android or in iOS) and probably turn the Airplane setting on, but not until you have a good link between your iPhone/tablet and your remote control.

I have both Apple and Android devices, since one seems to work better one day, and another the next, and also around 6 USB cables, three of each type, in case one stops connecting.

If your device is older, check that your USB socket is spotless and connects well to your USB plug.

You should have the devices turned off, then on, in this order:

1) turn on your remote on first
2) turn your drone on second
wait until drone has booted up properly, done its song, and settled down.
wait until the remote's green LED is seen, and also the drone's green LED is seen.
THEN:
3) turn your Go app on third.

if you don't turn on in this order, then you'll risk a "Disconnected" error, which will eventually resolve itself, but it will take up to several minutes before it recognizes that things are on and working properly.

Last edited:
Okay, this is good!
Now, are you using an iPhone? Or an Android device?
And how is it connected to the remote controller?

It's usually via a USB cable that sometimes is no good.
Also, you need to get the USB port in your tablet/phone to talk properly with the DJI Go app, and also with the remote control.

This usually means some kind of USB setting in your setup screen, which is different depending on if you're using an Apple or an Android device.

You also need to stop other programs from running at the same time as the Go app (also differently achieved in Android or in iOS) and probably turn the Airplane setting on, but not until you have a good link between your iPhone/tablet and your remote control.

I have both Apple and Android devices, since one seems to work better one day, and another the next, and also around 6 USB cables, three of each type, in case one stops connecting.

If your device is older, check that your USB socket is spotless and connects well to your USB plug.

You should have the devices turned off, then on, in this order:

1) turn on your remote on first
2) turn your drone on second
wait until drone has booted up properly, done its song, and settled down.
wait until the remote's green LED is seen, and also the drone's green LED is seen.
THEN:
3) turn your Go app on third.

if you don't turn on in this order, then you'll risk a "Disconnected" error, which will eventually resolve itself, but it will take up to several minutes before it recognizes that things are on and working properly.

My controller is the one with only one antena. No inline connection with my iPhone 6+. I have not always cleared the apps that are running nor have I turned on the AirplanenMode . I have never been able to connect to Phantom 3 in settings. I am going too meet with a person who has a more advanced controller and see if it will connect with my IPhone 6. Thank you so much for the good advice. I will try tonight after my battery and controller are re charged.

Okay, you need to establish a link between your phone and the drone.

This is done using the Settings on your iPhone.

a) turn your remote on

b) turn your drone on

c) let things settle a bit

d) open your Settings page on your iPhone - do NOT open VISION or any other app. Clear apps by double-tapping the main screen button on your iPhone and then swiping away everything behind the home screen

e) go to Wifi

f) wait and eventually the PHANTOM_xxyyzz will appear in your list of wifi sources. This would be the signal coming from the camera to the phone.

g) I believe the app you will need to run is the regular DJI Go app (NOT Go 4). This will then tell you if your app is connected to your drone by saying "Connected" in green below the correct drone photo. It should automatically go to the PHANTOM 3 STANDARD page.

Hit the CAMERA button and you should be good to go.

ps/ I don't think the advanced controller will work with the standard drone. In any event, if your remote LED to the left of your four battery charge status lights goes green on power up (at stage c, above) then your remote is bound to your drone and everything is good. You're just missing the drone-to-iPhone via Wifi connection.

If you change remotes then you have to turn off your original remote and then bind your drone to the other remote. Then afterwards, when you want to use your own original remote again, you will have to re-bind it to your drone.

[There exists a wifi booster for your remote. I know, because I have one on my P2V+ remote, which also has only one antenna. Maybe later you can get one, since it adds considerably to the quality and range of your video signal coming from the drone to your phone via wifi.]

Best
Chris

Last edited:

a) turn your remote on

b) turn your drone on

d) open your Settings page on your iPhone - do NOT open VISION or any other app. Clear apps by double-tapping the main screen button on your iPhone and then swiping away everything behind the home screen

e) go to Wifi

f) wait and eventually the PHANTOM_xxyyzz will appear in your list of wifi sources. This would be the signal coming from the camera to the phone.

g) I believe the app you will need to run is the regular DJI Go app (NOT Go 4). This will then tell you if your app is connected to your drone by saying "Connected" in green below the correct drone photo. It should automatically go to the PHANTOM 3 STANDARD page.

ps/ I don't think the advanced controller will work with the standard drone. In any event, if your remote LED to the left of your four battery charge status lights goes green on power up (at stage c, above) then your remote is bound to your drone and everything is good. You're just missing the drone-to-iPhone via Wifi connection.

If you change remotes then you have to turn off your original remote and then bind your drone to the other remote. Then afterwards, when you want to use your own original remote again, you will have to re-bind it to your drone.

[There exists a wifi booster for your remote. I know, because I have one on my P2V+ remote, which also has only one antenna. Maybe later you can get one, since it adds considerably to the quality and range of your video signal coming from the drone to your phone via wifi.]

Best
Chris

a) turn your remote on

b) turn your drone on

e) go to Wifi

Best
Chris you have gone the second mile with me and have taught me so very much. My P3S now connects as it should and when I pull down both of my sticks the motors power up. I am powering up with the _DJI GO_app that looks much like the _DJI Go 4_app that I use for my P4P. When I push and slide to turn on the P3S moters they will start and will run for about four seconds and shut down. That is kinda scary! Everything seems to be fine; however I am almost afraid to fly.
Oh -it seams that DJI switched from a controller like was used on the P1,2 and changed over even on the P3S forward to the present day style so as to have a better connection. I have no USB port on my C.
I hope I have enough nerve to forget about needing a mother board replacement and just fly this magnificent machine.
Wish me luck-Olen

Chris-(update) I want to think you again for your help. It was very helpful and educational. The P3S is now in perfect condition and is like new.. Did not need a new mother board as I was told. With firmware updates all is well. All I have to do now is get rid of the drone I purchased to replace the MB.. I have learned how to dismantle the drone and I just might decide to repair the second drone? Haveing fun and still learning in my senior years thanks to you..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20