Wrecked 3 Phantom 2 batteries. What would you do?

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the Phantom 2 when it came out and I have 3 batteries. I completely mishandled them, recharging them before storing, storing for long periods, etc. All of it, my fault.

Anyways, my P2 is completely kitted out, gimbal, mini iOSD, Hero 3, FPV, flysight, etc. All the goodies. Would it be better to get 2-3 new batteries and continue on my way or get 1 new battery and sell the whole lot and try for a P3 or save up and get the Inspire? I'm a pretty good pilot (except for maintenance obvs) and the cheaper way is just new batteries.

Other than battery mistreatment is there anything else that could cause the charge to go from 88% to 50% to 7% in a span of a few minutes?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

No other than bad battery firmware and since DJI pulled the plug on v2.6 battery shortly after it came out in Oct 14 there's no way update older batteries. And of course DJI could care less.

Reactions: mad in nc
You could try doing depleting the battery down so low that it doesn't come on.. no green lights... then do a full charge to 100%.

See if that resolves it... What does the PC software say about the battery? any errors?

Angle grinders, drills, hedge cutters,strimmers can all be bought using reliable battery technology and there`s lots more other products besides. DJI couldn`t give a toss and used an inferior battery in their Phantom 2`s and gave up trying to rectify the problem. Maybe they should have had a word with Bosch, De Walt, Panasonic :rolleyes:

Other than battery mistreatment is there anything else that could cause the charge to go from 88% to 50% to 7% in a span of a fe...

P2 over weight (above 1300 grams) causes this battery % drops (early auto land), hope this helps.

Edit: To be more precise, I start to get trouble around 1320 grs.

Last edited:
P2 over weight (above 1300 grams) causes this battery % drops (early auto land), hope this helps.

Hi there. My bird is heavy, I don't know how much it weighs but i get close to 15 minuets flight. I have a lot of LEDs on board to.

You could try doing depleting the battery down so low that it doesn't come on.. no green lights... then do a full charge to 100%.

See if that resolves it... What does the PC software say about the battery? any errors?

i did that just before this last flight. statically ran them all down, stored them for a few days (since i fly at the rose bowl mainly and they had 4th activities). charged them up in the couple hours before i went to fly. here's the latest screenshot from the software:

CyuveHk.png

1281 grams on an empty battery ;)

Interesting, I just had a similar experience. But, I have tried to take care of my batteries by, down to 8% every 20 cycles, storing at 50%, rarely ever flying below 30%.
Today I had a new experience. Flying along as usual, battery life 60%, and the things starts to drop. I was at about 200 ft so had time to react. Up throttle and landed it safely after maneuvering around pine trees and down a hill. Was in panic mode so didn't observe the battery life data during the descent. After landing, I caught the bird and looked at my fps data, battery at 4%!! This is the first battery purchased, 97 cycles, battery life 91%, (recharged to) charge 53%, 3.849, 3.852, 3.850V.
I then though, maybe it is the P2 acting strange. Flew with another battery, went down to 15% and started to auto land as it should. I did this test twice, the second time with an older battery bought about the same time as the failed battery. This time I did notice that the older battery started to rapidly decline way before it reached 15%. So, with older batteries, I'm not going to take them to low or I might run out of juice fast.

Ok, so I got the Phantom 2 when it came out and I have 3 batteries. I completely mishandled them, recharging them before storing, storing for long periods, etc. All of it, my fault.

Serial #65 + 8 recharges, seems very unused battery, and stored fully charged, sorry to say, but guess you should get new batteries to start fresh, and discard the faulty ones.

Good thing I didn't try and fly at La Jolla with these junky batteries. Ok, I'll do some shopping around and replace them (and THIS TIME I'll follow guidelines for keeping my batteries healthy). The best lessons are the most expensive ones.

I had a battery go bad on me like that for no reason I said it was 100% charged but only showed 3400mah. It only had 6 cycles on it at the time but was just barely out of warranty. I contacted DJI told them what happened and I followed their instructions to a tee, and sent it back. They were really good about it and sent me a new battery. Ive heard bad store about their customer service but they were really good about this. I honestly think at some point there was a bad batch of batteries that they knew about

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20