WP: White House Rolls Out Long-anticipated Rules for Drone Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark The Droner

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
White House rolls out long-anticipated rules for drone operations

The era when a glance toward the sky is more likely to reveal a small unmanned aircraft than an airplane or a bird seems remote to most people, but it drew closer Tuesday as the White House released regulations intended to keep drones from colliding with things in flight and people on the ground.

Many years in the making, and after 4,600 public comments, the narrow focus of the new rules will be criticized by those who hoped the Federal Aviation Administration would sketch out a futuristic grand plan, and praised by others who worried the agency would offer too much regulation too soon.

Edit: FAA Press Release: Press Release – DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Last edited:
Typical government bureaucracy. Nothing surprises me anymore. The rules are in place, people register the drones, agree to the terms of use and still violate the rules. Only a matter of time before something bad really does happen and more negativity is brought to highlight people that fly correctly because they are guilty by association. Thank you for the information.

I think these rules are a good step forward. I don't have problems with anything in there, and hopefully it will better educate users.

590 pages is what I seen. I got through a few pages and read $150 fee for certification? Part 107 test? Can someone explain to me what else is needed to make money while using a UAS? I'm a photographer and videographer by trade.

So just to understand, the rules apply to those NOT flying re-creationally?

These rules are for people who want to do commercial work. They do not apply to hobbyists.

590 pages is what I seen. I got through a few pages and read $150 fee for certification? Part 107 test? Can someone explain to me what else is needed to make money while using a UAS? I'm a photographer and videographer by trade.

I'm waiting patiently to find out when these tests and study materials are available.

These rules are for people who want to do commercial work. They do not apply to hobbyists.

Okay gotcha. But from what I can gather, you just need to a UAS pilots certificate and to pass an online test?

But from what I can gather, you just need to a UAS pilots certificate and to pass an online test?
You can read about it here. I haven't set aside a few hours to comb through that document yet.

This was recently discussed here. Be sure and check the search or look at the suggested post at the bottom as you are crafting yours. ;)
Thread closed. Please comment further here - Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

duplicate_content.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl