WOW!!!

I... But do look out for private planes at that height. They don't have any set flight paths, and the little Cessnas go under 400 feet routinely.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ummmm, no (no matter what size) the little Cessnas do NOT go under 400 feet unless they've just taken off, or are 30 seconds from landing or bush flying in the bush. If that's the case, you are breaking the current law and bucking for a Darwin Award simultaneously. Many of them actually DO have what you refer to as set flight paths (whatever that means) if you are referring to VFR or IFR usage. As one who used to fly them, we've got to control the misinformation here in the information age.

I remember the first time I went above 100'. I was so nervous, I forgot to breath! My wife was beside me and said,"Hey...breath!". I told her I was just "in the moment" and to leave me alone. That didn't work out for me. Honestly, my eyesight isn't the best in the world. And if I needed to actually "SEE" the bird the whole time I flew, I wouldn't be able to go any further than my own back yard. I rely on my instruments when I get a few hundred yards away. But, I'm still in VLOS so to speak. I can turn the bird, adjust the gimbal, and spot where I'm standing. I can't really see myself too well, but I know where in the pic I'm standing. It's overwhelming sometimes but I absolutely love flying it!

First uav flight was a p2. Programmed it to do 3 waypoints at various heights. Being not accustomed to meters the number was pretty high. The bird took off and started climbing....and climbing. A bunch of panicked crazies at controller with no concept of controlling it. I was convinced we will never see it again. (MAKE IT STOP).

After the mental meltdown, I gave some primitive instructions on controller stick and the dot moved....ahhh. A feeling of some control. Other direction.....it's coming towards us......pull back. And it's descending. Omg. We are gonna make this horrible feeling of having no control go away. Landed safely. Shook up we laughed and drove home to check out the video.

:eek: I will never forget some next-door neighbors, when I launched my P2, in those days there were no rules I would take it to 2'k. Straight up... What is it ? It's not a kite ? It just went straight up to an obscene height really fast.. Never got to tell them what it actually was :(. Even with an amplified controller you know you had control over the bird despite the video loss over 1000 feet, Shortly thereafter it became apparent that going horizontal was that much more enjoyable

image.jpeg

Ummmm, no (no matter what size) the little Cessnas do NOT go under 400 feet unless they've just taken off, or are 30 seconds from landing or bush flying in the bush. If that's the case, you are breaking the current law and bucking for a Darwin Award simultaneously. Many of them actually DO have what you refer to as set flight paths (whatever that means) if you are referring to VFR or IFR usage. As one who used to fly them, we've got to control the misinformation here in the information age.
I don't fly myself but live in an area with lots of private recreational planes who go really low over our farm. Between them, crop dusters, and police search helicopters (well, that only happened twice) there is regular air traffic under 400 feet where I live anyway. As far as flight paths/VFR/IFR (you know more then me there, thats ok!) then all I know from that is that my friend who is a pilot once told me that he isnt confined to specific routes like commercial flights.

I apologize if Im misinformed, and will gladly defer as you seem like you know what you're talking about

Even with like 50 flights on board now, still get some butt puckering while flying around, doesn't happen with the cheap manual drones, I guess it's the price in the back of my mind that's triggering the feeling.

its gets easier the more you do it, the first time out I was like the rest of you newbies, went up 200 feet and almost pooped my pants lol, now its easy, my longest flight to date is around 5400 feet, im now just starting to get the nerve to fly over my neighbourhood without seeing the drone,Ive learnt to trust the phantom more and just let it do what it was designed to do, not saying I dont get freaked out still when I cant see it but I just calm myself down and let it do its thing, never failed me yet, and even if you cant see it just dont panic you always have your trusted RTH and its never failed me yet, just starting to get into night flying as well which is a whole new can of worms, but exciting and scary all wrapped up into one but im sure it will get easier as time goes on....just take it slow and trust the bird and mainly have fun.....happy flying

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Very nice job. I'm also in the UK. It's nice to see some good weather somewhere in the UK!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Good weather in the UK! It's pretty rare... But when it's nice weather it's lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: movius
I had my P3P for over three months before I had the courage to fly to the 'ceiling' . I parked it up at 400', rotated around to pan the whole neighborhood. I haven't had much opportunity to fly more than several hundred yards laterally. I'm workin' up to it.

Yeah it's funny - it took me about a month to work up the courage to max out the height. Now I don't even think about it...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj