Wow. Love my Sunhans on P3S

Reaction score
Bought my P3S about four weeks ago. Loved it. Wanted more distance quickly though. Had the thought most had, "why didn't I buy the Advanced or Pro?" Well I did not and thought I'd make the most of it. Plus, I like to tinker. :)
I bought DJI because frankly, this was my first high quality UAV, and I wanted to get my feet wet so to say before going all out.

A week into ownership, I ordered the ITELITE DBS antenna and an extra battery of course.
Not bad but left me wanting more. I live in a busy suburb area of NYC with tons of wifi and high power lines. I'd be getting the "Warning, strong interference..." Pop up all the time and the. Signal lost & disconnect happened a bit about 1500-2000 feet out. I did get about 2300 feet and felt okay about it.

Ordered the Sunhans. Man. I just installed them tonight and took a quick 10 min buzz to test it out. Made it almost 4000 feet with crystal clear signal and control. No lost signal, disconnects, and maybe one interference pop up. Maybe?
It was pretty amazing and I cannot wait to push this thing to see how far it goes.

Going on vacation in the Carolinas soon. Planning to buzz around the coastline around sun up/down to look for sharks. :)

Here is my work. I found limited documentation on the Internet for boosting the p3s with amps.
If anyone that comes across this has questions let me know. Glad to help out.

345b2fd539a0648f84145e1d45954800.jpg

7762a99c6883e72a50dc5e962c0f848f.jpg

605c6c647f3643b2b30ec0ff3bca8dcc.jpg

ada3f9ca45f79ca846e1c424d5171f36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should see what that setup does on a P3P, P3A, or P4 with Lightbridge. Try out to 6+ miles! :D

Your killin me... Im in your exact same position with the itelite panel. On the fence about getting the boosted setup and your post may have just pushed me over. My only question as of now is what you spent on the boosted setup?

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

You only boost 1 of the 2.4ghz channels? You find the boosters ok mounted to the rear of the panel? Looking at this type of mounting as I put a tripod mount on the bottom of the controller last night.

You should see what that setup does on a P3P, P3A, or P4 with Lightbridge. Try out to 6+ miles! :D

I am sure!! I was not really looking for 6 miles. Sounds nice and maybe one day. :)
For now, I knew the stock P3S was nowhere near where I wanted to be. Loss of signal at 1000ft was kind of bothering me.

Your killin me... Im in your exact same position with the itelite panel. On the fence about getting the boosted setup and your post may have just pushed me over. My only question as of now is what you spent on the boosted setup?

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Haha
Yea I feel you. Every post of boosts was driving me crazy. Not to mention it looked like a neat project to take on. I like the controller now, looks real high tech and I like to say I did it. I take pride in my work.

The ITELITE panel was okay. It helped a good bit but did leave me wanting more. If your okay with spending a few bucks I say go for it.
Here's my costs (rough rounded numbers):
Sunhans 2.4 - $43
Sunhans 5.8 - $85
Battery - $40
ITELITE - $110
Velcro (strong stuff to hold 16lbs, bought at lowes) -$4

Total: $272 on top of P3S ($499), $771 total for a pretty awesome setup.

Do it!

Last edited:
You only boost 1 of the 2.4ghz channels? You find the boosters ok mounted to the rear of the panel? Looking at this type of mounting as I put a tripod mount on the bottom of the controller last night.

I was worried about that and made a post about it. The resident long range expert, dirtybum replied and said its okay. So I went with it. So far initial test was fine, no issues. I guess if you think about it, the stock P3S has the two internal patch antennas designed to cast a wide range for FPV. The ITELITE kind of circumvents that by directing both in a more concentrated line that seems to go the same direction anyway. So now I have one that is ultra powerful. If I eventually see the need I'll grab a 3rd booster for it.

I did have a concern about the mount on back of ITELITE so what I did was use some of the strongest Velcro I could fine (16lbs strength) at lowes. It holds the booster off the panel a good way so there is no metal to metal contact. Plus, it's removable as needed. I looked for many other places to mount and unfortunately there was no good place other than the panel, unless I was going to buy that 3D printed part for $40. Thought I'd see what I could fabricate first.
So far all is well.

Reactions: 1800BigRob
Thats pretty sweet, but wouldn't it be quite a bit cheaper to just sell the standard and buy an advanced?

Thats pretty sweet, but wouldn't it be quite a bit cheaper to just sell the standard and buy an advanced?

Yes, I like to tinker. Hahah
But in all seriousness. I really was not sure until I bought this. I was getting my feet wet with UAV with this buy. And I love it. By the time I had the idea to trade it in because I was within 30 days, I was fly happy and not wanting to be droneless for more Han a few days. Plus I already had the ITELITE on order and was marking the holes to drill voiding my warrantee pretty quickly.

I figured that I'd build this up, make it awesome and possibly hock it on the forums/eBay for some decent coin since it's a fairly nice setup. Then use that money to buy a P3Pro on Black Friday for $599.
Or keep my amps, sell this with ITELITE for a few hundred and spend a couple hundred and get the pro.
Either way I'm not sure and so far somewhat content with what I created.
Not to mention, I can say "I did it". I'm sure lots of you know what I'm talking about.

That makes sense, so do I. But I prob still would have sold the standard and bought an advanced, then tinker on that for even MORE range

Future project. What I can say is I learned a tremendous amount about UAV's, wifi, and flight.

Hey nice build! What are the specs on the sunhans? I myself like to tinker but mine is on a p2v+.. I have a p3p but I won't be doing any modding to it until the warranty is up!

I am sure!! I was not really looking for 6 miles. Sounds nice and maybe one day. :)
For now, I knew the stock P3S was nowhere near where I wanted to be. Loss of signal at 1000ft was kind of bothering me.

I was losing signal at 2,500 feet with the stock P4 setup. DBS-02 with boosters on a GL300A remote changed that to 6 miles. I only need reliability to 5 miles, and I want to fly really low at 3-5 miles away. It just works! :cool:

Reactions: longdog
I was losing signal at 2,500 feet with the stock P4 setup. DBS-02 with boosters on a GL300A remote changed that to 6 miles. I only need reliability to 5 miles, and I want to fly really low at 3-5 miles away. It just works! :cool:

Wow, I'd be pretty upset if I bought the P4 and only got 2500 feet!! Glad you saw some good results with the boosters!!

I took mine out for a flight last night and made it about 5350 feet out. So I broke the one mile which I felt good about.

The line of sight was bad and I might have been obstructed by trees, buildings, very near high power lines, and about 200 wifi signals. Lol the video signal started getting a little hairy. I think if i had better line of sight and less obstructions I would have gone much farther. Will go out for some more tests this weekend in a different area.

Took a flight in a less populated area. Still had houses around and stuff to interfere, plus I flew out of a little valley by a stream so I think I lost line of sight with the hill in front of me (I definitely lost sight of the drone itself so not sure if I was pointing in the exact direction). Also, I was talking to a few people I was with and not totally focusing on the line.
Result was 6850ft. Video and signal did not cut out but just started to break a little bit and I started to get hear a major highway; so I came back.
Fun ride!

NYC is tough but you can find range if you try.
This was with a sock P3S
Screenshot_2016-07-11-15-15-18.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj