Wow...a free Phantom 2.

Reaction score
I am friends with the owner of the Oregon Horse Center, a very large horse showing, boarding,and training complex including full pro rodeo grounds in Eugene, Oregon. Among other things he is a photography buff and has allowed me free access to not only all the events at his complex but also to his large store of photographic equipment such as his 24" large format printer.

As I got my Phantom more functional I have been doing, for his website, videos inside the show arenas of the various setups...always under his watchful and fascinated eyes, so I was not surprised when he emailed me that he had ordered a Phantom 2 Vision and he wanted me to do the initial flight. I got there this morning and he handed me the box saying he did not have the expertise OR the time so he wanted me to get it fully up and functioning and then bring it back and start training him.

Soooo......spent the rest of the day getting this beast sorted out. For those unaware of the details the Ph 2 V comes with a built-in video/still camera on an isolation gimbal, a 5200MA battery capable of 25 minute flight time, AND a built in TX/RX that gives FPV via an iOS app to an iSmart device, complete camera parameter control IN-flight, live tilt control, AND on-screen flight info such as altitude and distance from home station....and probably a lot of other things I haven't discovered yet.

It is so new that the "assemble and initialize" video tutorial was just put up on their website yesterday.

The only thing this bird is missing is a full stabilization gimbal....and DJI is releasing one specifically for the new bird.

What strikes me, beside my good luck, is that for the price, considering that after I was given my basic stock Ph (at the "old" price) as a birthday present in September, buying endlessly a progression of gimbals, tilt enabilization, a new H3 camera, an FPV TX/RX, 7" screen, multiple batteries, new charger, antennas, etc., etc., etc.......and struggling with non-existent or Chinglish manuals....and STILL not succeeding with tweaking everything into function....YET.....that in the end I will have for myself a Ph that might fly 6-7 minutes......when for a comparable price one could buy a Ph 2 Vision and get ALL THAT ...PLUS onboard flight information, and a bird that will fly 20-25 minutes for comparable money and a LOT fewer headaches. And no, I don't work for DJI.

I have not even spun the props yet but I am impressed.

Just wait until you see the charging times on that battery, plus the cost of buying a replacement. Also, don't leave the battery in the Phantom, it does a vampire drain overnight. I'm in love with their props, but I'm not too keen on the rest of the unit yet.

Nice!!! Have a good time setting up and flying the new toy. Sounds like your old gear might be about to go up for sale to finance a new toy of your own. :lol:

PF

OMG. I cracked the box at about noon. Fussed with minor details for about half an hour. Put battery and signal extender module on chargers...the latter on USB took over 4 hours...normal for "first" charging. The connection between camera/bird and my iTouch looked somewhat daunting. When the final charging was done I turned everything on...without FPV, started the bird, did compass dance, and lifted off. Everything worked fine.

Soff, why not, turned the iTouch on, turned the camera on in wifi mode. Everything connected except wifi. There in my Setttins was a Phantom wifi. Touched it and I was connected. Sorted through the unfamiliar app for a few minutes and BINGO! Live stream from the camera. The bird is FULLY functional in, minus lost time charging...about 1/2 hour.

Additional gems I have discovered. The gimbal IS stabilized in tilt dimension, holds its setting wrt horizon. And, there is a "Find My Phantom" feature on the app that will show you the (last??) position of the bird if it is lost...not sure what the limits are that feature.

This bird has features I have mentally given up on ever putting on my regular bird just because the cumulative cost in flight time will be so severe.

Yes, after a second or two of thought it occurred to me that the "american" thing to do would be to make that battery a proprietary size and connection/features so that everyone would be forced to pay the DJI markup. I would predict within a year there will be 3rd party clones.

I will actually fly tomorrow morning and record some video for comparison.

Now that this "project" is complete....in minutes....I have to go back to looking at my own just arrived FPV Tx/Rx...can't get them to acknowledge each other yet...mount and wire the Tx...then tackle mounting the screen, Rx and battery on my TX....THEN tackle why my Tarot gimbal suddenly reverted to rate mode in spite of all connections for position mode being correct....and why I can't get the Tarot controller program/upgrade to acknowledge connection to the controller board (been workingon that one for weeks). Gosh this DIY stuff is so much more fun!

^^^ Last line....Sarcasm????????? :?

PF

Sarcasm?.................ME??

In my long list of TO DOs....all done and solved by the Ph V2....is that I confirmed that my FPV TX and Rx work, are on the same channel, and I successfully transmitted video from the GPH3 to the monitor. Now all I need to do is figure out how and where to mount the FPV Tx, solder in a power line from the battery terminals, THEN figure out how to mount the monitor onto my stock Tx....and what to use to power the FPV RX....since the monitor has it's own internal rechargeable battery. When I get all that done I still need to tackle the malfunctioning tarot. The Ph V 2 of course sits there complete and ready to go waiting for me to deliver back to the owner.

At least it is raining buckets! Yes, that is sarcasm also.

Spoiler alert: Off Topic Post.

Loved your short stories on the wife fishing and the tarpon in Cuba. Priceless! :lol:

PF

Peter Patricelli said:
Sarcasm?.................ME??

In my long list of TO DOs....all done and solved by the Ph V2....is that I confirmed that my FPV TX and Rx work, are on the same channel, and I successfully transmitted video from the GPH3 to the monitor. Now all I need to do is figure out how and where to mount the FPV Tx, solder in a power line from the battery terminals, THEN figure out how to mount the monitor onto my stock Tx....and what to use to power the FPV RX....since the monitor has it's own internal rechargeable battery. When I get all that done I still need to tackle the malfunctioning tarot. The Ph V 2 of course sits there complete and ready to go waiting for me to deliver back to the owner.

At least it is raining buckets! Yes, that is sarcasm also.

my4ynemy.jpg

pehe3emu.jpg

e6e3yder.jpg

Looks like we are in the same position.
This is a sneak peak at my latest work lol, I've upgraded to a skylark FPV 7" monitor. The CF mount that came with the new LCD, while impressive, is quite bulky, and restricts the Tx antenna more than I'd like. my old CF LCD mount wouldn't directly fit the new LCD so I Frankenstein'd them together. The result is a lot more height on the LCD and a little more flexibility on the "pitch" of the mount. I still need to sort out a mounting solution for the DVR and a battery. Not a great issue, but with the extra height on the mount, I'm getting concerned with the weight of everything hanging off it.

Hopefully by the time I get all that sorted, I'll have received a new main control board for my tarot gimbal, the one that shipped in the box had electrical components fall off the PCB . . . Then I can get a start on mounting and tuning that! (Along with all the other goodies that are still in transit)

japy2u6u.jpg

uze6egyz.jpg

sa7ymy9u.jpg

PhantomFan....Thanks. Wrote those a long time ago. Thankfully I have learned enough to NOT try and teach wife#2 how to fly a quadcopter!!

Driffil,
Your monitor mount is inspiring. Whatever I come up with is gunna look uglier. My first tarot controller board was DOA..sent it back. This current #2 board worked out o the box but I have never gotten the computer to actually admit a connection to it...therefore depending totally on Naza control. Thought I had finally established position mode but it lurched back into rate mode during two flights spontaneously in spite of my connections still being correct. My current theory is that I have a defective USB device/cord and/or a defective controller board. When it WAS working there was a distressing gyro roll whenever I yawed rt or lt that slowly leveled during 10 seconds...ruins a lot of video time. I'm hearing that for many the firmware upgrade 1.4 fixes or improves this. I'm hoping that is true but first I need to crawl to ANY upgrade. I may be ordering a new board out o desperation. Let me know how yours is doing during it's fall moulting period.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj