Would you want Expert Mode for your P2(V+) Assistant?

Reaction score
I was just thinking while posting a reaction in another thread.

It is kind of weird that DJI has made just one assistant version for both P2 and P2V+. Even more weird is that they limit the assistant so newbies can fly it right out of the box but at the same time limiting experienced pilots to fly the way they are want or used to.

I would certainly want a dedicated expert version/mode for the P2.
At least WITHOUT:

Current 2m/s descend speed limitation.
Auto land mode after minimum throttle for x seconds

And with:

Adjustable voltage safe mode levels, like in Naza-M
Gimbal control like in Naza-M

What do you think?

I would be more than happy to accept disclaimers form DJI that I take full responsibility for using this Expert mode.

lake_flyer said:
I was just thinking while posting a reaction in another thread.

It is kind of weird that DJI has made just one assistant version for both P2 and P2V+. Even more weird is that they limit the assistant so newbies can fly it right out of the box but at the same time limiting experienced pilots to fly the way they are want or used to.

I would certainly want a dedicated expert version/mode for the P2.
At least WITHOUT:

Current 2m/s descend speed limitation.
Auto land mode after minimum throttle for x seconds

And with:

Adjustable voltage safe mode levels, like in Naza-M
Gimbal control like in Naza-M

What do you think?

I would be more than happy to accept disclaimers form DJI that I take full responsibility for using this Expert mode.

All great ideas. The 2m/s thing bothers me as there are occaional low flying helicopters near where I fly, and I could easily end up in a position where I am obligated to CSC to get out of the way in time.

My only problem with all this is that DJI are fighting a quality perception problem and I think they would prefer to control the bounds of the operating environment as much as they can to manage this.

The 2m/s thing bothers me as there are occaional low flying helicopters near where I fly, and I could easily end up in a position where I am obligated to CSC to get out of the way in time.

Exactly! I have seen helicopters from our rapid strike force flying as low as 50 feet over the lake after dawn. Without navigation lights.

lake_flyer said:
The 2m/s thing bothers me as there are occaional low flying helicopters near where I fly, and I could easily end up in a position where I am obligated to CSC to get out of the way in time.

Exactly! I have seen helicopters from our rapid strike force flying as low as 50 feet over the lake after dawn. Without navigation lights.

Just like law enforcement not using turn signals, no headlights in the rain, etc.! I once called 911 about a reckless driver who was speeding through town. I followed him, though at a slower speed. I was updating with all the turns he made.

His destination? The local police department, in his personal car. I looked at my watch and realized he was late for shift change. He went running into the building! I've been late for work before, but if I drove like that, I would be arrested!

They enforce the law, but feel like they can break the law when they want. Disclaimer: This is the minority. In one of my business' I interface will local LEOs a lot. Most are great. A few are....well, you know.

Yeah, I hear you. Mil Helicopters may fly as low as they need in this area and don't have to have any lights if that would hinder them in their mission. They are however obligated and responsible to give way to any other user of the airspace when flying without lights in the dark or near dark.

But anyhow, all the more reason to wish to be able to checkmark an option: "NO I DON'T WANT DESCEND LIMITATION- and I agree that I know that when VRS occurs, DJI is not to blame"

Hughie said:
My only problem with all this is that DJI are fighting a quality perception problem and I think they would prefer to control the bounds of the operating environment as much as they can to manage this.

I think so too. And while they're at it they try to make the whole concept work for total newbies crying that it flies straight out of the box and that even your grandma can fly it.

In the end it's us, the true enthousiasts and serious flyers, that will keep them alive once the gadget hype is over, I just hope they will remember that.

Yeah, I just wish they let us get on with it. In a way I am surprised that Manual mode is still there as an option.

Yeah, manual should be a hidden option, or something that you have to activate on-line. Some beginners activate it from the start, not knowing what they do and next time they accidentally flick the right switch one click too many and crash straight away. Mostly they say that the quad suddenly had a 'mind of its own' and they were not to blame.

Strange that we are still allowed to crash it (pretty sure it will) in manual mode with just one flick of the switch.

It would be nice if you could turn off the new hobbled speed they put on them 2 updates back. And I just noticed that now after the last firmware update that in return to home it freaking crawls back home at a pitiful 9mph That could get real hairy if haveing to fly against some light wind to get home.

I would love 6m/s descend speed. I know VRS, how to avoid it and how to get out of it. So frustrating. Wish we could adjust the pitch angles in ATTI mode.

How about just enabling manual mode? If you need to dump altitude quickly, that's about as expert as it gets.

I don't want to sacrifice the RTH switch for that. And besides, I don't want to have to revert to manual in a possible panic situation. Just a normal descend speed and a bit more tilt in forward flight while in GPS would be fine.

When I see where people root cell phones and write new firmware for the phone, I an surprised some good hacker has not disassembled DJI firmware and offered changes discussed here.

I would also like a true headless function that considers the current nose heading as the new nose position every time you switch on Course Lock. The way it is implemented now is more a handicap than a feature. For me it's useless most of the time, unless I line up, flick the switch 5 times, in the process risking to overwrite the homepoint as well. After a few course variations I really don't remember what my last written nose heading was, so switching to CL only works once, and then you have to go to the process again, unless you are flying in perfect 90degree angles.

And of course the auto land mode after 3 seconds minimum throttle have to be ditched right away, not only the max descend speed.
The other day was hurling back in GPS mode, wind in the back, doing about 12-13m/s, at the same time I tried to lower height by pulling the throttle down. On the IOSD I noticed the descend speed go from zero to a whopping 1.6m/s so I thought I just give it a little less throttle.........BANG. Incredible smack and it stood still in the air. My gimbal was off balance and it took a few seconds to have a normal view again. I'm pretty sure the ESC's have a lot to suffer from this behaviour, in fact, from other threads, and DJI themselves, I read that changing the rotor speed too abrubtly, like switching from Atti to GPS mode (or letting the throttle stick spring to neutral in GPS mode) while doing high speed gives you every right to have one of your ESC's fried.

Any more thoughts folks?
Once I have a list of things we might try to get DJI to look at it, they might even do something with it (nah).

lake_flyer said:
Yeah, I hear you. Mil Helicopters may fly as low as they need in this area and don't have to have any lights if that would hinder them in their mission. They are however obligated and responsible to give way to any other user of the airspace when flying without lights in the dark or near dark.

But anyhow, all the more reason to wish to be able to checkmark an option: "NO I DON'T WANT DESCEND LIMITATION- and I agree that I know that when VRS occurs, DJI is not to blame"
And once you crash because of vrs and your prop stall causing your ecs to burn up, you do not blame dji for the crash due to esc failure?? Who is to proof what?

I'm smart enough to avoid VRS for hundreds of flights with my FC40 doing 5m/s slope descends (with 8" and 9"). If I get a VRS I know how to handle. Just ease the throttle a bit up. With the P2 I just can't fly like i am used to. And the sudden auto land mode while in a high speed slope will cause ESC failure just as much as bad piloting will.
And the goal from DJI's marketing dept to have a product with the longest flying time is what caused us to use these VRS invoking props in the first place. I might go back to 1.8 and put 8"'s on it. Sure it will cost 2 or 3 minutes and it will fly with a bit more inertia (but MUCH smoother) but I never had one single hint of VRS with 8" props, ever. If you let go of the sticks in GPS mode it will gently die off its speed, just like I want it to, and it saves ESC's.

Nice thought, definitely going back to 1.8/8" until this madness of restraining features is gone (if ever).

lake_flyer said:
I would also like a true headless function that considers the current nose heading as the new nose position every time you switch on Course Lock.

That is a nice idea. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4