Would this device block GPS signal?

That seems like it would effectively block or hinder the GPS signal. Terrible design.

I just left a comment in the reviews warning against using it. Looks like it take up to 72 hours for the comment to show up.

Is it even a legit problem though?

The Phantom shell covers the top of the GPS receiver too. That doesn't seem to cause any issues though.

Reactions: RadRich
All portable gps devices used for aviation are built into heavy plastic and kept in the **** pit with no issues.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Phantom shell covers the top of the GPS receiver too. That doesn't seem to cause any issues though.

The shell is made of plastic. Most (all?) plastic is transparent to radio waves, unless it has metal in it, is coated in foil, etc. A light, on the other hand, must have wires in it, and those wires would carry a fair amount of current. Wires with current flowing through them become electromagnets. The batteries will also contain metal electrodes. I think it's quite likely that metal plus flowing current would attenuate the signal from the GPS on a P3, probably a lot.

I would post a question to the manufacturer, asking them to test a Phantom with and without their light on it and compare the signal strength.

The shell is made of plastic. Most (all?) plastic is transparent to radio waves, unless it has metal in it, is coated in foil, etc. A light, on the other hand, must have wires in it, and those wires would carry a fair amount of current. Wires with current flowing through them become electromagnets. The batteries will also contain metal electrodes. I think it's quite likely that metal plus flowing current would attenuate the signal from the GPS on a P3, probably a lot.
Right -- there are so many unknowns. I was only questioning it because it looks like it could be a problem, nobody in this thread owns this device, and at least one of us is writing reviews to warn people about it. I was just wondering if it actually does cause any issues.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I agree with LuvMyTJ. Even if the device is completely transparent to GPS, it could still hinder GPS.

At FedExField (NFL stadium), if you sit in row 1 in the upper deck, you have a transparent panel in front of you (for safety) to watch the game. What's wrong? You don't want to watch the game through glass? Why not? It's completely transparent!

Reasons why you don't want to watch the football game through glass: Light bends, glass gets dirty, glass panels have seams, etc.

I would imagine the same problems could exist with plastic.

For the most part, plastic is "transparent" to radio frequencies such as GPS. That is why the Phantoms receiver under the top plastic shell cover works.

For the most part, plastic is "transparent" to radio frequencies such as GPS.
Right. And, sorry -- my point was a little vague. I was trying to suggest we shouldn't assume it negatively affects the GPS signal solely on the fact that it covers the GPS receiver.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I just left a comment in the reviews warning against using it. Looks like it take up to 72 hours for the comment to show up.
thats a crap thing to do being that you dont own one. GPS's in phones are covered by the plastic/glass/metal case and work just fine. My P3 picks up a GPS signal in my basement and therefore covered by my house. I dont understand the negativity unless you own and can honestly review it.

I own one and have used it dozens of times . Never had a gps signal loss, never a problem.
I looked at qty of satellites with and without it fitted and it was identical.
The guys at Polar Pro are pretty smart, and I'm sure would have thought of this IMO.

Maybe my phantom has a GPS issue because the second I put my hand on the top of the body to pick it up I loose GPS signal. Given that, I probably won't put a battery pack on top of my craft even if it is encased in plastic.

To be fair, your hand is a lot different than plastic (e.g. it has water in it)...

Anyway... way back last fall I wasn't happy with the time it took to get my satellites even after the re-route GPS cable mod, just for fun I took my dremel out and ground away at the plastic in the inside center of the plastic top. I ground away that little circle in the middle and part of the perpendicular branches that led away from it. I also ground a layer off the plastic lid itself right in the middle. Afterwards, I did seem to get my satellites quicker. I can't give it a fair comparison test though...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik