Would there be interest in a waterproof Phantom shell?

Reaction score
Thinking of designing a waterproof, floating shell with mounts made for Phantom parts. The idea would be that all guts from a Phantom could be transferred to the new shell for safe flying over water. There would be a water tight door for battery access, vents for the barometer, heat sinks for ESC's and ports for lights. Weight could be not much more than the original Phantom shell but with enough volume to float. Mounts would be provided for the GoPro in it's housing. A waterproof gimbal might be a later option. Do you think there is a market for this? What would you pay for such a shell?
There are some waterproof shells available now but they are not very light, aerodynamic or well suited for the Phantom parts.

You've checked out the Dex quads, yes? I know at least one member here has migrated a P1 in to one of their shells. I'd planned to do the same eventually at least just for fun if not any practical reason.

If you can come up with a great waterproof option to directly insert Phantom guts I think you would find a good bit of interest.

I built one using all the internals from a Phantom 1. I bought a Dex Mini Quad shell for somewhere around 150 dollars. I did not ever figure out how to get the compass located properly, and I did not get the heat sinks to work properly. It was a pita to get all the parts inside the shell. I had quite a few flights with it but it always flew a bit erratically. Here is a short video of its first water flight http://www.jimandsusan.com/first-water-flight-with-dex.html. I have given up on it, it kind of looks like swiss cheese now with all the mods I have done to it :)

Yes, I think there would be a decent market for this. $100 - $150 seems about right.

Piece of mind is valuable.

OI Photography said:
You've checked out the Dex quads, yes? I know at least one member here has migrated a P1 in to one of their shells. I'd planned to do the same eventually at least just for fun if not any practical reason.

If you can come up with a great waterproof option to directly insert Phantom guts I think you would find a good bit of interest.
I do have a 50 size Dex shell. It is a bit larger than the Phantom. I have purchased the DJI E300 kit to install in it. I have a NAZA Lite which I may use or I also have an Eagletree vector flight controller which has GPS and OSD. It takes quite a bit of work to figure out how to mount everything and fit it in the available space. That's what got me thinking about making a shell that would have mounts already made for the Phantom guts. I have some experience with making things out of fiberglass epoxy and carbon fiber.

syotr said:
OI Photography said:

I do have a 50 size Dex shell. It is a bit larger than the Phantom. I have purchased the DJI E300 kit to install in it. I have a NAZA Lite which I may use or I also have an Eagletree vector flight controller which has GPS and OSD. It takes quite a bit of work to figure out how to mount everything and fit it in the available space. That's what got me thinking about making a shell that would have mounts already made for the Phantom guts. I have some experience with making things out of fiberglass epoxy and carbon fiber.

I would be interested in that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic